Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

they may even need to move on from Perry and his ridiculous contract. Take the dead money -- at least we save something, because the guy is worthless right now. You could argue he's are worst EDGE player and certainly our worst starter. 

Cutting Perry next summer would save 3.6M but it would leave 11.1M in dead cap. That's a very tough pill to swallow and 2020 is not much better (7.4M in dead cap). Personally I doubt we release him before 2021 but Gute has balls of steel so who knows.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Any offensive lineman that gets cut at this point in the season isn't going to be good period.

Well he's no Quenton Nelson surefire HOF that's clear, but Rams fans seem to be very surprised he was cut. Apparently he wasn't doing bad and lost the starting spot due to a suspension, so I thought I'd ask brighter minds.

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

Well he's no Quenton Nelson surefire HOF that's clear, but Rams fans seem to be very surprised he was cut. Apparently he wasn't doing bad and lost the starting spot due to a suspension, so I thought I'd ask brighter minds.

I don't know him from Adam, I just know nobody is cutting an OL at this point unless there's something wrong with them.  

2 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

He was better than you are giving him credit for. I'm not saying he was an all-pro but he was a serviceable, solid, player. 

No other safety on the roster can say that. His turnovers alone are going to be missed. Sure, you can say that they were lucky or whatever, but he was in the right place at the right time and caught them. No other player on the team has had that kind of turnover "luck". I fully realize who he was and his name and draft status have nothing to do with that. 

He wasn't serviceable or solid in the red zone This year.  He was a liability.  4x this year the defense got beat for a TD on a skinny post with Haha doing god knows what.  

He was serviceable in run support when he felt like it.  90 % of the time he was content letting his teammates do the dirty work.  

At one moment late in the game on Sunday I saw Jaire and Haha in the same frame.  I literally said "Holy ****" out loud.  My wife looked at me like what the hell are you possessed with?  Jaire's jersey was blue, green and brown all over.  The look of a jersey when you've had the best game that any Packers DB has had since Woodson's glory days.  In the same frame HaHa's jersey looked fricken sparkling white like he just put it on.  

And that's HaHa's story.  He  played the last season and a half to not get hurt.  No way was he going to lay it all on the line for this team the way Jaire did on Sunday.  What a sad freaking contrast it was.  

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:
1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Guys - we will be looking at $45M in cap space (Big Mo only player possibly to bring back), two 1st round picks and potentially a new coach. This offseason will be franchise altering.

So that will put GB at 14 in most cap space available.  9 teams having over $58M.  The top 3 over $90M.

That money will go fast.

7 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Cutting Perry next summer would save 3.6M but it would leave 11.1M in dead cap. That's a very tough pill to swallow and 2020 is not much better (7.4M in dead cap). Personally I doubt we release him before 2021 but Gute has balls of steel so who knows.

Dead cap is really meaningless to worry about though, it's already spent.  The only question that matters is whether Perry is worth 3.6m or not.  If you expect something like 2017 out of him I'd say yeah if you expect whatever were getting this year out of him he's probably not worth it.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

This is still nonsense all these years later .  Why would a player used to winning championships want to be drafted by a Super Bowl contending team with the best QB?  LoL

Because it is Green Bay.  

By your logic, all free agents should be telling their agents they want to be in Green Bay.  They aren't. why?

Face it, different people want different things.  Not everyone wants to play for Aaron Rodgers team.

12 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

It is when the team only has player's on the roster that either cannot or have never played the position before.

The 15th best safety to the 32nd best is a significant downgrade 

Do you think the Packers front office, coaches and scouts are aware of this ? Fans don't know the full picture, so they surmise that Aha ! We must be tanking !!

There's a fair possibility that there is a player on the current roster who will be a better FS in December-January than HaHa would be -- - part if that is because fans don't have all the info and part of that is because fans vastly over-rate HaHa. When he screws up, the fans want him shipped out. When the front office ships him out, the fans load their diapers again wondering "Who is gonna play safety  ? "

I don't think Jones is a FS candidate, he's more of a SS/ILB type and hopefully a very good one, soon. The brains of the operation is Whitehead, I just don't know if he has the athleticism to get it done. But in every meeting, he knows the answers to every question and has this defense down pat. To the point that Whitt will ask the question in the room: "Does anybody besides Whitehead know the answer ?

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jermaine-whitehead

PR mentioned Breeland in that role as well as dropping Tramon's name. Williams DID play some Safety in Pettine's system before, so he has that experience and was brought to GB to mentor all of the DBs and get the young CBs up to speed.  The cupboard isn't bare, the Packers aren't tanking and there's a well-thought out plan at Safety. If you disagree with any or all of those statements, then it reverts back to my earlier note about: "What is it that I don't know ? "

Stated another way: If Mike Pettine wanted HaHa directing his defense, Clinton-Dix would still be a Packer.

9 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Because it is Green Bay.  

By your logic, all free agents should be telling their agents they want to be in Green Bay.  They aren't. why?

Face it, different people want different things.  Not everyone wants to play for Aaron Rodgers team.

This is just revisionist BS.  Players don’t have any control where they’re drafted and there are so many teams/locations that are worse.  

Just now, thrILL! said:

This is just revisionist BS.  Players don’t have any control where they’re drafted and there are so many teams/locations that are worse.  

Nonsense.  Draft history is littered with players that didn't want to be picked by Green Bay, and have said so when they talk about their draft day.

You are right in that neither of us know the truth about what he was thinking.

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, Perry is worth having at 3.6 million.  Even if he's a backup.  Dude can wreck games, he just doesn't every game.  I'd love to see Perry as a backup.  

If you mean wreck games by never sniffing the QB, then yeah. 41 snaps on Sunday .... crickets again

I think the biggest part over looked is HaHa didn't seem to want to be here. We are in a rebuild like it or not. You don't miss out on your last three drafts and not be in some sort of rebuild. There is going to be a lot of young talent coming in here. The vets have to be on the same page, and be examples to those youts. You don't need a guy who you see avoiding hits and talking about not being here. I liked him, but for whatever reason it wasn't working out. He wasn't coming back, and gute loaded up more picks for next years draft (Edge rushers) instead of hoping for a comp pick. He is being proactive. It might fail, but honestly, I'm going to let the man do his thing and see how it plays out.

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So that will put GB at 14 in most cap space available.  9 teams having over $58M.  The top 3 over $90M.

That money will go fast.

I would speculate that this figures into the decision.

Ha Ha gets described as serviceable and solid-  I am not sure that is the description of what the team would want to sink a lot of money into on a second contract when there is only so much money to go around.  I feel this is a value over replacement issue.  Gute thought he wasn't bringing the value over his replacement, and went out and got something for him before he left.

Archived