Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

When he screws up, the fans want him shipped out. When the front office ships him out, the fans load their diapers again wondering "Who is gonna play safety  ? "

I don't think Jones is a FS candidate, he's more of a SS/ILB type and hopefully a very good one, soon. The brains of the operation is Whitehead, I just don't know if he has the athleticism to get it done. But in every meeting, he knows the answers to every question and has this defense down pat. To the point that Whitt will ask the question in the room: "Does anybody besides Whitehead know the answer ?

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jermaine-whitehead

1. I never once advocated for shipping him out.

2. The starting FS next year is not on the roster now. I can pretty much guarantee that.

3. This was a clear move for the future, and I understand that. So do the Packers. The Packers, and I, and everyone else should realize that this is going to be a significant downgrade for the rest of this season.

Basically you're question of "What don't we know" isn't applicable to this situation. We all know exactly what is happening. The Packers weren't going to re-sign him so they traded him. And it will negatively affect the defense for the rest of the season. 

24 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Nonsense.  Draft history is littered with players that didn't want to be picked by Green Bay, and have said so when they talk about their draft day.

You are right in that neither of us know the truth about what he was thinking.

Sorry maybe I am a bit behind but which players have said so on draft day?

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Ha Ha is not an elite player.  He had part of one season where he played above the level of an average NFL safety (2016); the rest of the time he's bounced between average and poor.  There's a lot of despondent fans bemoaning Gute giving up on the season both here and elsewhere, and that belief in Ha Ha is not coming from his play.  He was a former 1st round pick who had a fun name, and that's really skewed people's impressions of his skill set.  He's a solid enough player, but generally between 15-20 among the league's safeties, and in 2017 he was significantly worse than that.  That's not a player worth being that upset over.

I also wouldnt say he is an elite player. But I think in the locker room he is a relative vet, alongside being a pro bowler who was a veteran in our DB room. He had also been leading Safetys in ints this season, as well as scoring well in PFF, though im not saying I believe in their scoring. 
I think a 4th was probably the right value, though I had hoped for a 3rd in all honesty

Just now, Shanedorf said:

TE Vernon Davis is probably the most recent, public one

They aren't scientific, but there have been articles about nfl players in general.  Here is one:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/5-nfl-teams-players-least-want-to-join-even-for-twice-the-pay.html/

The notion that because we have Aaron Rodgers players want to be here makes sense to fans, but players don't always think that way.

26 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I still hate we didn't sign Eric Reid. 

He was available for quite a long time this year and signed for a pittance. Maybe he wasn't interested in GB ?
If the Packers or Pettine had any interest in him, they had plenty of opportunity.

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Does it matter.  I believe based on his reaction to the pick, that HHCD didn't want to be here.  You can believe what you want.

Maybe not. I was just interested to see where that info came from. I know theres lots of talk of Haha not looking too happy on draft day, but I havent actually seen any evidence in recent years of GB being a place players would like to avoid.

Archived