Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Tanking for Bosa and rebuilding our defense with three first rounders is fine with me. 

I’m still gonna cheer for the Packers come playoff time but man this was an awful decision. It’s like telling the players “Hey, we don’t care that you guys are trying to win a SB, we will trade any starter who has a bad attitude”. 

That's really a small part of the overall bigger issues.  His effort was inconsistent at best and he's been vocal about his belief that this was his last year in Green Bay.  Name me a single player that had that mentality that actually re-signed with Green Bay?  Every time we've re-signed one of our players, they were talking about how they wanted to remain in Green Bay.  Nothing from HHCD.  Add on the fact that he wanted elite money and was ready to go somewhere else, and the writing was on the wall.  He wasn't going to be in Green Bay beyond this year.  Instead, the Packers got a long-term asset out of it.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think it has a lot less to do with "send a message" and more to do with the fact that there was very apparently going to be some bad blood between Montgomery and other players.

You had players blasting Montgomery in the press.

You had Montgomery telling the press that he was hurt that his teammates didn't have his back. 

I thought it was interesting that we didn't see Rodgers or anybody go over to Montgomery as he was sitting there after the play. That tells me a lot of people thought he was selfish rather than just having made a dumb play.

Personally, I always try to give a guy the BOTD. Easy to lose where you're standing as you stare into the sky for 4 seconds. But the players probably know better than me. I feel like both sets of guys probably have a point.

Just seems like it was time to get Monty out of there.

Agree with the conclusion.
Dont agree with how he handled the KO - but I've dissected that frog already.
Were the other players pissed off at him - no doubt - and also noted how "alone" he was on the bench - BUT - (and this is total conjecture on my part.....) that "supposed" animosity between the players - that allowed others to speak freely about him and his mistake - didnt just pop up at that second. Thats a weed that was already growing IMO. 

So net result? Agree - "Just seems like it was time to get Monty out of there"

46 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Lol at the articles saying he was bad and Packer fans also trying to justify this.. he was having a fine year. You guys got rid of cause he wanted out, end of story. And getting rid of a starter, with no one behind the guy what so ever, when you are trying to win the SB?? I didn’t know the Packer FO was thia dumb. My SB pick all year was Packers but officially changing to the Rams. 

Hot takez!

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with the conclusion.  I wasn't loving the decision.........but it was probably the right one if you include everything around the event and aftermath.
Dont agree with how he handled the KO - but I've dissected that frog already. Now I know which way you jump, heh   tiger.gif
Were the other players pissed off at him - no doubt - and also noted how "alone" he was on the bench - BUT - (and this is total conjecture on my part.....) that "supposed" animosity between the players - that allowed others to speak freely about him and his mistake - didn't just pop up at that second. That's a weed that was already growing IMO. 

So net result? Agree - "Just seems like it was time to get Monty out of there"   As Stogie would say   (2000AD, Sam C Slade)      "Yup"

The locker room is a cauldron of (mostly) highly motivated people, so it is never a huge surprise to hear that occasionally guys don't get on. Mostly that should be buried under a professional type of work-colleague respect, but the inter-personal relationships still bubble underneath. Maybe that was the case here, I don't know. With both Randall and Montgomery now gone, I'm curious to see if there are more signs of unrest in Green Bay. I'm not saying there are, just that I will watch for any signs in the next year - As the saying goes, "Once is coincidence, twice is happenstance, third time is enemy action".

I will say this in defense of Ty since the business side of football is never far away. He was in the last year of his deal and I'm guessing it had to be frustrating to see guys leapfrog him and get more snaps. Kind of like watching your career slip away from you right before your very eyes. That's not to excuse being an idiot, but it had to suck on a personal level

Just now, cannondale said:

I will say this in defense of Ty since the business side of football is never far away. He was in the last year of his deal and I'm guessing it had to be frustrating to see guys leapfrog him and get more snaps. Kind of like watching your career slip away from you right before your very eyes. That's not to excuse being an idiot, but it had to suck on a personal level

Very true and and a good "from the other side of the fence" view.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That's really a small part of the overall bigger issues.  His effort was inconsistent at best and he's been vocal about his belief that this was his last year in Green Bay.  Name me a single player that had that mentality that actually re-signed with Green Bay?  Every time we've re-signed one of our players, they were talking about how they wanted to remain in Green Bay.  Nothing from HHCD.  Add on the fact that he wanted elite money and was ready to go somewhere else, and the writing was on the wall.  He wasn't going to be in Green Bay beyond this year.  Instead, the Packers got a long-term asset out of it.

I agree. HHCD was going. That 4th could easily be the next Lang, or Bakhtiari, or Sitton. Can't pass on that.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I believe Josh Sitton was talking the same crap and we released him, for nothing. This is spot on! 

Archived