(Poll) Pick Your Interim HC Coach on the Staff & WHY (Give Reasons)

Mind Character

(Poll) Pick Your Interim HC Coach on the Staff  

23 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) Pick Your Interim HC Coach on the Staff

• Gregg Williams HC; Todd Haley OC
    • Todd Haley HC; Todd Haley/Freddie Kitchens OC
    • Al Saunders HC; Todd Haley OC
    • Hue Jackson HC; Ken Zampese OC; Demote Todd Haley

38 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Mularkey isn’t a bad coach. I can’t name a single titans player other than Mariota and they did this last year. He’s just not “modern” and I understand the hesitation.

Yeah he’s not bad, but neither are Williams or Haley, to me it’s a matter of wanting a guy who can adapt and who can design an offense to fit the skill set of Baker.

Maybe that’s Mularkey, but I kind of doubt it tbh.

I just want an offensive minded coach as the HC. Just so his brains are always behind the offense. If we hire a Defensive guy and the new OC can do great things, he will be hired away in year or two and the Browns offense is starting over. 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he’s not bad, but neither are Williams or Haley, to me it’s a matter of wanting a guy who can adapt and who can design an offense to fit the skill set of Baker.

Maybe that’s Mularkey, but I kind of doubt it tbh.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

One last thing about Mularkey. He’s never really had a shot.

Ignoring the crap year in Jacksonville, he’s had teams above .500 3/4 years as a full time head coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mularkey

Let's all be honest: the hesitation about him is that his name is Mike Mularkey.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Mularkey isn’t a bad coach. I can’t name a single titans player other than Mariota and they did this last year. He’s just not “modern” and I understand the hesitation.

This sounds like the stuff people say when they defend hue. 

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

I just want an offensive minded coach as the HC. Just so his brains are always behind the offense. If we hire a Defensive guy and the new OC can do great things, he will be hired away in year or two and the Browns offense is starting over. 

Fantastic point 

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Mularkey actually won games though.

To add to this, I remember when Mularkey was the OC in Pitt and they always had a create scheme.  

Dude was constantly drawing up creative ways of using Hines and Randle El.  

Then in Tennessee when he ran the “exotic smashmouth” which worked really well with their personnel.

So I guess if nothing else he’s shown a willingness to develop a scheme to fit the talent as opposed to forcing the talent to run his scheme.

I’d love to see a coach tailor an offense to Baker tbh.

I don't get rationalizing Mularkey as a good pick when dudes like Riley and Campbell are on the table. Did any of you watch Tennessee the last couple years? Exotic smashmouth worked because the OL/RB combo was AMAZING, like, best in the league level (maybe behind rookie year Zeke/Dallas OL). They were ugly as sin last year. I see no evidence of being willing to mold a system around the QB. Now, maybe that's bias because I think Mariota will end up being good (not elite, but solid) and he looked like dog turds with Mularkey. But watching that offense last year was painful. It was boring, the route combos looked like the most basic stuff you can imagine. I just don't get why we would feel like we need to pre-rationalize what would be a horrific decision. The only leak I've seen so far that I kinda of believe is the Matt Campbell stuff because that came so out of left field.

29 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't get rationalizing Mularkey as a good pick when dudes like Riley and Campbell are on the table. Did any of you watch Tennessee the last couple years? Exotic smashmouth worked because the OL/RB combo was AMAZING, like, best in the league level (maybe behind rookie year Zeke/Dallas OL). They were ugly as sin last year. I see no evidence of being willing to mold a system around the QB. Now, maybe that's bias because I think Mariota will end up being good (not elite, but solid) and he looked like dog turds with Mularkey. But watching that offense last year was painful. It was boring, the route combos looked like the most basic stuff you can imagine. I just don't get why we would feel like we need to pre-rationalize what would be a horrific decision. The only leak I've seen so far that I kinda of believe is the Matt Campbell stuff because that came so out of left field.

I’m not rationalizing anything so much as giving credit where it is due.

He wouldn’t be a great option at all, but he’s likely better than what we’ve got.

As I said initially, I highly doubt the 4th time will be the charm.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, buno67 said:

I make those once and awhile...

once *in* awhile

Anyways, I think the most important quality of a HC is an open mind. A willingness to operate under the "new school" philosophy that the NFL is shifting towards. More than likely, whoever comes in at HC won't be calling the plays, I want a guy at OC who can adapt and consistently set the offense up for success, going beyond conventional playcalling, but not running an offense that can just be figured out and slowed. 

Archived