Mid-Season (Just About) QB Power Rankings

DoleINGout

Like all quarterbacks? You can't throw downfield when your protection isn't holding up, hence getting the ball out fast. We protected Carr last week and he played great. Almost all the quarterbacks mentioned who are considered among the best have more talent around them so they really don't need to "elevate anything". 

Good QBs check down after going through their progression reads. Carr hasn't been doing that, he checks down immediately after the ball is  snapped. This would be fine if he were only doing this when getting pressured, but he has been doing this when he has a clean pocket. 

GREAT quarterbacks (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, etc.) elevate poor surroundings.  Obviously Carr isn't great. Not many quarterbacks are great. Good quarterbacks need talent around them to play well. I would put the vast majority of good starters in that category, Rivers included. He's playing with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Tyrell Williams, and Melvin Gordon. Clearly he isn't holding them back, but the talent around him is also responsible for his current success. You put him in the current Raiders offense and he isn't Phillip rivers.

BS

Rivers is nothing like Carr. Yeah, Keenan Allen, Mike and Tyrell Williams are good players. But the Chargers offensive line is junk and Rivers covers up for it by his pocket awareness and toughness. You flip the QBs and put Carr on the Chargers and Rivers on the Raiders, I guaranteed you the Chargers offense would be below average while the Raiders offense would be average to above average. Rivers isn't Brady, Rodgers, or Brees, but he has always been good at elevating the guys around him, especially the offensive line. 

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He really doesn't. But again, he doesn't have the Chiefs offense around him.  Again, he looked pretty good 2 years ago with better protection and receivers (and no run game) and they were nowhere near as talented as the 2018 chiefs with Reid. But sure, replace Carr. He's clearly the problem on the current Raiders :S.

No he does i watched Smith for years. He looks like Alex Smith back when we had no talent besides Jamaal. Cant elevate talent around him, safe throws and sacks.

Replacing Carr will go a long way in helping the Raiders. I mean getting rid of Gruden would too. But Gruden aint going no where.

9 hours ago, Chiefer said:

No he does i watched Smith for years. He looks like Alex Smith back when we had no talent besides Jamaal. Cant elevate talent around him, safe throws and sacks.

Replacing Carr will go a long way in helping the Raiders. I mean getting rid of Gruden would too. But Gruden aint going no where.

It's not my fault you can't evaluate quarterbacks. Your own mod disagres with you, but none of my business.

10 hours ago, game3525 said:

Good QBs check down after going through their progression reads. Carr hasn't been doing that, he checks down immediately after the ball is  snapped. This would be fine if he were only doing this when getting pressured, but he has been doing this when he has a clean pocket. 

BS

Rivers is nothing like Carr. Yeah, Keenan Allen, Mike and Tyrell Williams are good players. But the Chargers offensive line is junk and Rivers covers up for it by his pocket awareness and toughness. You flip the QBs and put Carr on the Chargers and Rivers on the Raiders, I guaranteed you the Chargers offense would be below average while the Raiders offense would be average to above average. Rivers isn't Brady, Rodgers, or Brees, but he has always been good at elevating the guys around him, especially the offensive line. 

You're joking right?  Have you watched the Raiders OL this year? You think Rivers on this current Raiders offense would be average to above average?  You think Carr with Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams, and Melvin Gordon would be a below average offense?

Just like Chiefer, there's literally no point in me deliberating this with you. I'll agree to disagree.

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You're joking right?  Have you watched the Raiders OL this year? You think Rivers on this current Raiders offense would be average to above average?  You think Carr with Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams, and Melvin Gordon would be a below average offense?

Just like Chiefer, there's literally no point in me deliberating this with you. I'll agree to disagree.

No, I am not joking. 

The Chargers have surrounded Rivers with some poor offensive personnel over the years and yet he has still managed to lift them to be an above average offensive unit. (2010 is a good example of what I am talking about). I have no doubt he would make the Raiders offense an average to above average unit because he handles pressure better and has the pocket presence and movement to buy enough time to throw to the receivers. You really think Amari Cooper would be as unproductive with Rivers as he was with Carr? The guy who took an UDFA in Tyrell Williams and help turned him into an 1000 yard receiver in 2016. Be serious.

The Chargers would be below average with Carr under center. What good is having Allen and the Williams twins if the QB crumbles at the first sign pressure? Like I said earlier, the Chargers o-line is a sieve, Carr isn't hanging back there making throws down the field like Rivers does on a weekly basis. 

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's not my fault you can't evaluate quarterbacks. Your own mod disagres with you, but none of my business.

You sound just like the Smith-apologists on the Chiefs blogosphere pre-Mahomes

Its never the QB, just everybody else around him. I should know im an expert! 

Even the pretentious attitude at the end and bringing up a mod... Bravo sir.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:51 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it's extremely hard to personally rank the QB's after you get out of the Mahomes/Wilson/Brees/Rivers group.

Whoa whoa whoa

Back up.....Back up now.

Mahomes is not, and I repeat this emphatically, NOT in the same group/tier as freaking Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. Or Philip Rivers even. 

Man, I've never seen so many people declare a QB to literally be ELITE after 8 games (9 if you count that moot game he started in '17). 

I mean it's just strange that Wentz and Goff have both been playing like elite QBs for the last season and a half (minus the few games Wentz missed), but if any Eagles or Rams fan were to call their teams QB elite and say that he is in the same tier as SB winners and MVPs like friggin Drew Brees and Russel Wilson, you could bet your arse that they would be criticized for being homers.

People really need to relax with this kind of talk. 

As someone who has no horse in the race. I think Carr is and always will be that average to slightly above average tier of QB even if he does have good players around him. 12-16 range. He's in the same class as Dalton or Tannehill IMO. Not bad QBs, can perform well with good players, but probably not the guy who can ever take you the distance.

3 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Whoa whoa whoa

Back up.....Back up now.

Mahomes is not, and I repeat this emphatically, NOT in the same group/tier as freaking Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. Or Philip Rivers even. 

Man, I've never seen so many people declare a QB to literally be ELITE after 8 games (9 if you count that moot game he started in '17). 

I mean it's just strange that Wentz and Goff have both been playing like elite QBs for the last season and a half (minus the few games Wentz missed), but if any Eagles or Rams fan were to call their teams QB elite and say that he is in the same tier as SB winners and MVPs like friggin Drew Brees and Russel Wilson, you could bet your arse that they would be criticized for being homers.

People really need to relax with this kind of talk. 

Maybe you don't realize what thread you're in, but these are rankings strictly based on this season.

Archived