Should the Browns move on from Desmond Harrison after this season?

MistaBohmbastic

Browns future left tackle?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Browns future left tackle?

• Ride it out with Des Harrison
    • Sign/Draft an LT in the offseason

If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer.

Both tackle positions need to be upgraded. Joel Bitonio can be that upgrade at LT if you find better options at guard in free agency.

There is no reason to move on from Harrison. He is on a very team friendly contract and has shown some signs of quality play. At the very least, he can be a higher end backup swing tackle.

But if you don't try and upgrade that position, you're accepting an overall low level of play at a very important position. 

2 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer.

Both tackle positions need to be upgraded. Joel Bitonio can be that upgrade at LT if you find better options at guard in free agency.

There is no reason to move on from Harrison. He is on a very team friendly contract and has shown some signs of quality play. At the very least, he can be a higher end backup swing tackle.

But if you don't try and upgrade that position, you're accepting an overall low level of play at a very important position. 

You're not factoring in his potential improvement over an NFL offseason. The guy is as raw as they come.

25 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

You're not factoring in his potential improvement over an NFL offseason. The guy is as raw as they come.

He's 25. Physically, I don't think there is much more potential for adding strength (his greatest weakness). He's already athletically better than most starting LTs, so really he can get the most gain from improving his technique.

But none of that will matter if he is bull rushed into the QB every dropback.

Simply put, I wouldn't place the health and well being of my franchise QB on the hope of him improving if I were Dorsey. 

7 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

He's 25. Physically, I don't think there is much more potential for adding strength (his greatest weakness). He's already athletically better than most starting LTs, so really he can get the most gain from improving his technique.

Simply put, I wouldn't place the health and well being of my franchise QB on the hope of him improving if I were Dorsey. 

There’s not much more to adding strength??? Over the past 3 years, the guy spent one year at a DII program. I have no idea if he was in their offseason workout program. So potentially over the previous 3 offseasons, he might have not been in Any kind of a great weight training program. Now last year he was in the draft circuit, so again not in a great situation to truly maximize your strength. After this season, he has nothing to focus on but playing for the browns and getting better. In reality, prolly be the first stable off season program over the past 5years. So the offseason program can huge for him this year and could be a huge tell of what kind of player he can be. 

Its not always great to use PFF to support who is good or who is bad but you can at least use it as a starting point because at least they are holding every tackle to the same criteria. I think it was 2 weeks ago or so they had Harrison rated as the 16th best tackle ( 14 LTs were ahead of him and 2 RTs) 

i think he has shown enough to Warrent being the projected starter if they don’t improve it. Just saying it is very hard to project who might be better. A lot of ppl projected that Hubbard would be a solid RT and the dude has been trash. Still better than Coleman but still trash. 

Harrison could greatly improve  by adding more strength and putting on more weight

You all are overthinking this, you all see the same thing, if he was a disaster, Bitonio would have been replaced him in the lineup, he hasn't. Then we act surprised when he makes mistakes? Come on,  if an UDFA rookie srarter's only flaw being that he isn't big or strong enough, isn't that a great position to be in moving forward?

Also, if anyone noticed despite Hubbard being as bad as people say, we still ran the ball the majority of the time on the right side with some success

7 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

The guys played D2 football. Before that he hadn’t played much at all because he kept getting in trouble. All I’m saying is let the dude see if he can improve over an off-season with consistent (lol) coaching.

Harrison is a rookie. He's had his ups and downs this year. I'm definitely gonna give him the rest of this year before I say he needs replaced. Even Hubbard I thought was okay, but he's been bad the past two games. Wouldn't be opposed to sliding Bitonio over to RT and having Corbett replace him at LG.

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

My only argument with that is that most coaches complain about the D2 level and how student athletes don't have nearly the nutrition programs that bigger schools have. Many guys have to eat unhealthy food and often not nearly enough to sustain and add weight. Let's see him in a year with a great food plan and an NFL strength training program.

43 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

My only argument with that is that most coaches complain about the D2 level and how student athletes don't have nearly the nutrition programs that bigger schools have. Many guys have to eat unhealthy food and often not nearly enough to sustain and add weight. Let's see him in a year with a great food plan and an NFL strength training program.

West Georgia may not have even had a training table, while University of Texas had Steak, Lobster, Chicken and Brisket. Huge difference

I think that he will be a pretty good RT but that they still need that bookend LT. That said, what they really need is another receiving threat or two so that our QB can get the ball out quicker since everyone is covered and unable to separate on basic intermediate and deep routes.

We should absolutely create competition at the position (as we should everywhere), and if he ends up being the best man and winning the battle, ride with him. If not, ride with the guy who looks better and harrison will be nice depth.

Archived