Should the Browns move on from Desmond Harrison after this season?

MistaBohmbastic

Browns future left tackle?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Browns future left tackle?

• Ride it out with Des Harrison
    • Sign/Draft an LT in the offseason

3 hours ago, pnies20 said:

The guys played D2 football. Before that he hadn’t played much at all because he kept getting in trouble. All I’m saying is let the dude see if he can improve over an off-season with consistent (lol) coaching.

Not saying he can't improve. It's almost a given that he will.

I'm saying I don't think that's enough to warrant passing on an opportunity to upgrade the position, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey addressed it early in the draft.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

There’s not much more to adding strength??? Over the past 3 years, the guy spent one year at a DII program. I have no idea if he was in their offseason workout program. So potentially over the previous 3 offseasons, he might have not been in Any kind of a great weight training program. Now last year he was in the draft circuit, so again not in a great situation to truly maximize your strength. After this season, he has nothing to focus on but playing for the browns and getting better. In reality, prolly be the first stable off season program over the past 5years. So the offseason program can huge for him this year and could be a huge tell of what kind of player he can be. 

Its not always great to use PFF to support who is good or who is bad but you can at least use it as a starting point because at least they are holding every tackle to the same criteria. I think it was 2 weeks ago or so they had Harrison rated as the 16th best tackle ( 14 LTs were ahead of him and 2 RTs) 

i think he has shown enough to Warrent being the projected starter if they don’t improve it. Just saying it is very hard to project who might be better. A lot of ppl projected that Hubbard would be a solid RT and the dude has been trash. Still better than Coleman but still trash. 

Harrison could greatly improve  by adding more strength and putting on more weight

How much core strength can you add in the weight room? Some improvement can be gained from gains, but most of it is inherently genetic. You either have it or you don't. Harrison don't 

You don't stop bull rushes with bench press muscles. 

12 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Not saying he can't improve. It's almost a given that he will.

I'm saying I don't think that's enough to warrant passing on an opportunity to upgrade the position, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey addressed it early in the draft.

Just for the record I’m absolutely 100% for taking a tackle high in the draft. Probably our second rounder. We also need to sign one in FA.

13 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

How much core strength can you add in the weight room? Some improvement can be gained from gains, but most of it is inherently genetic. You either have it or you don't. Harrison don't 

You don't stop bull rushes with bench press muscles. 

You don’t? If you have a proper strike with your hands, you can stop just about any pass rush move. To get power to that strength, it’s going to take bench press or different variations of Bench press type movements.

Bull rush only kills you if you allow the defender to get into your body first  

Also being stronger than the defender doesn’t stop the bull rush. The technique of dropping your hips/arse is going to stop the bull rush. Will stop the bullrush if the defender gets into your chest. So doing more cleans/squats and other lower leg workouts to go along with hip/leg mobility and stretching can improve oneself against bullrush

If a tackle is the best player on the board at our pick then you take him by all means. If there is a sure fire 10 year stud available via trade, free agency or draft then you take him by all means, but there is absolutely no reason to move on from these two guys just to move on. I have one more week left this season and then I will break down the OTs more with evidence to back up they are going to be fine. 

Neither is a stud but neither is a dud. Chris Hubbard has given up a couple sacks that were all on him once he never got his feet moving and twice he was okey-doked by and inside counter that left him frozen. That is going to happen with 90% of RTs in the NFL. His play has also clearly dropped off from the first 3 weeks so I question his healthy(not that anything has been reported, just odd how it slipped drastically at once and hasn't come back). Hubbard has also given up some sacks that will be credited against him that were not even remotely his fault.

This will probably never happen but Hubbard is at his best pulling in the run game and getting to the second level in the run game. I would think he would be a great ZBS guard. It would keep him off the island which is his clear cut weakness.

Speaking of that clear cut weakness. I find it strange that our backs are always helping Desmond Harrison instead of Hubbard. Harrison has been much better in his 1v1s aside from the bull rush which will be an easy fix going forward. I believe scheming and play calling bundled with a rookie QB and WR injuries are more at fault for the sacks than our OTs, oh and the interior 3 getting bullied far too often and Baker has no where to step up.

Next week at the latest I will break it down further and cover every sack the last 3 weeks.

Also, when watching these pressures and sacks I question Hue Jackson's sorry excuse of not playing Nick Chubb because of his pass protection because Carlos Hyde is an abomination in pass pro. Duke Johnson is the smallest of our guys and is by far the best in pass pro, but would be a waste to keep him in. And as mentioned earlier we are keeping our backs in on the wrong side. Also haven't hardly seen a single TE kept in to help in pass pro, I remember 1 time on a play action pass and that is it. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You don’t? If you have a proper strike with your hands, you can stop just about any pass rush move. To get power to that strength, it’s going to take bench press or different variations of Bench press type movements.

Bull rush only kills you if you allow the defender to get into your body first  

Also being stronger than the defender doesn’t stop the bull rush. The technique of dropping your hips/arse is going to stop the bull rush. Will stop the bullrush if the defender gets into your chest. So doing more cleans/squats and other lower leg workouts to go along with hip/leg mobility and stretching can improve oneself against bullrush

Yeah, bench press is actually the most useful for Dlineman and Olineman in pass protection.

Bench press would be the least of my worries for Harrison though. He needs more weight and lower body strength to anchor better. I believe it will happen. 25 is hardly too old to add strength. Dumbest argument I have ever heard on here. Most adult males don't get there grown man strength until 28-30 years old and let me tell you grown man strength is a very real thing. Also, if you have never had a proper diet or strength building program it pretty much doesn't matter what age you are if you start following a proper diet and strength routine you will add tons of strength. I know from experience. I didn't touch a weight for over 12 years after a bad car accident. I have been lifting with my football kids for 2 years now and I went from far weaker than even my playing days in high school to miles stronger than I was at my peak despite having metal in my hip, femur, back and pelvis along with countless other surgically repaired bones on my left side. If I can do it in my condition at the age of 32(30 when I started) then Desmond Harrison can do it if he wanted to.

Man he’s a freaking rookie that just went up against JPP

who wasn’t injured for basically the first 3 weeks of Training camp and got put at LT literally at the last minute 

I think he’s our LT of the future. He just needs to continue to develop but he’s holding his own 

Harrison deserves the team. Dude has potential. lets see if he can get into it and lets see if he can improve the 2nd half of the season,

Hubbard, on the other hand, has played for Haley in the past and has been in the league for a few years. I dont know if I see him getting better. 

Archived