Should the Browns move on from Desmond Harrison after this season?

MistaBohmbastic

Browns future left tackle?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Browns future left tackle?

• Ride it out with Des Harrison
    • Sign/Draft an LT in the offseason

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I was producing our station's postgame, and Jerod Cherry was talking about how he never saw Baker audible out of any plays with obvious blitzes, coverages, etc. That was an interesting point. He suggested that it looked like Haley (or someone) removed his responsibility of being allowed to change up the play. That'll be something to watch for moving forward.

Christ I hope not.

How’s an offense supposed to function at this level if the QB can’t audible?

3 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Baker was definitely making calls at the line earlier in the season, if he has been told he is not allowed to that’s ridiculous 

Yes he was. The theory was based on the fact that he didn't seem to make any changes at the line today. This responsibility was taken away at some point in the past week or so.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Christ I hope not.

How’s an offense supposed to function at this level if the QB can’t audible?

Wholeheartedly agree. In one sense, it simplifies things. But it's plain stupid. The plays are called before you can pick apart the look an opposing defense is giving. If they're trying to lighten his load and help him be more decisive, this ain't the way.

9 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Agree on all accounts. I'm not ready to give up on Desmond Harrison yet.

Most of those free rushers came from the right side, if I'm not mistaken.

I absolutely don’t give up on him. I’d like to give him another camp. He seems to be keeping himself clean. But by the same token I don’t hesitate to find an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

I absolutely don’t give up on him. I’d like to give him another camp. He seems to be keeping himself clean. But by the same token I don’t hesitate to find an upgrade. 

We carry at least 3 tackles.

One of them is Greg Robinson.

We shouldn’t hesitate at all to find an upgrade at tackle this off-season.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We carry at least 3 tackles.

One of them is Greg Robinson.

We shouldn’t hesitate at all to find an upgrade at tackle this off-season.

Yep. I’m of the philosophy that nobody is safe if you can upgrade him. 

#coldhearted

One thing I didn’t understand was Haley was so good at covering up for Alejandro Villanueva early on in his career. He was just as green of an offensive tackle as Harrison was in the beginning. 

Haley never seemed like he considered helping the tackles if it was chipping with RBs or TEs, like he did with the Steelers and early on in Villanueva’s career

24 minutes ago, buno67 said:

One thing I didn’t understand was Haley was so good at covering up for Alejandro Villanueva early on in his career. He was just as green of an offensive tackle as Harrison was in the beginning. 

Haley never seemed like he considered helping the tackles if it was chipping with RBs or TEs, like he did with the Steelers and early on in Villanueva’s career

From what I've heard, their O-line coach Mike Munchak deserves a bulk of the credit for how well that line has been playing.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:01 AM, buno67 said:

There’s not much more to adding strength??? Over the past 3 years, the guy spent one year at a DII program. I have no idea if he was in their offseason workout program. So potentially over the previous 3 offseasons, he might have not been in Any kind of a great weight training program. Now last year he was in the draft circuit, so again not in a great situation to truly maximize your strength. After this season, he has nothing to focus on but playing for the browns and getting better. In reality, prolly be the first stable off season program over the past 5years. So the offseason program can huge for him this year and could be a huge tell of what kind of player he can be. 

Its not always great to use PFF to support who is good or who is bad but you can at least use it as a starting point because at least they are holding every tackle to the same criteria. I think it was 2 weeks ago or so they had Harrison rated as the 16th best tackle ( 14 LTs were ahead of him and 2 RTs) 

i think he has shown enough to Warrent being the projected starter if they don’t improve it. Just saying it is very hard to project who might be better. A lot of ppl projected that Hubbard would be a solid RT and the dude has been trash. Still better than Coleman but still trash. 

Harrison could greatly improve  by adding more strength and putting on more weight

professional strength and lifting coaches are some of the things you can definitely improve on at the pro level.

2 These guys are the 30 best insturctor in the world not the 500 best you see in colleges

34 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think part of the problem is that IMO, Haley wasn't fully invested in what we had going on. He was probably sold stability in having Joe Thomas, Tyrod, Hyde, and Josh Gordon on this offense and all 4 aren't playing and now he has to coach the youngest offense in the NFL. I guarantee he wasn't not thrilled about this

Also about Harrison, even still after his struggles, you just don't give up on an athlete like this, his problem is he get all out of his technique and starts to play sandlot football like he did at WGA, this is very correctable along with a good weight program and proper diet. We would be fools to let some other team benefit from all of our scouting and work with him

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

From what I've heard, their O-line coach Mike Munchak deserves a bulk of the credit for how well that line has been playing.

I’m just saying in the early years of Vill starting for them. He never played tackle before in football. He was a TE/DE in the NFL. I think by 3/4 into his first season with the Steelers he was thrusted into the starting spot. I remember him not being great but he wasn’t costing the team like it tackles have been. Yeah Steelers OL is good but Haley called plays that helped cover up protection. Something he didn’t do here

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think part of the problem is that IMO, Haley wasn't fully invested in what we had going on. He was probably sold stability in having Joe Thomas, Tyrod, Hyde, and Josh Gordon on this offense and all 4 aren't playing and now he has to coach the youngest offense in the NFL. I guarantee he wasn't not thrilled about this

Also about Harrison, even still after his struggles, you just don't give up on an athlete like this, his problem is he get all out of his technique and starts to play sandlot football like he did at WGA, this is very correctable along with a good weight program and proper diet. We would be fools to let some other team benefit from all of our scouting and work with him

Haley took the job in January, so in reality he had no idea who his LT RB QB and WR were going to be. No one had no idea what Thomas was going to do and no one was going to be able to count on Gordon. He should of had an idea that he was going to have a raw LT because the idea off coleman bumping over was considered by then. 

Haley had to know he was going to play a rookie QB at some point because of him being a #1 overall pick 

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

professional strength and lifting coaches are some of the things you can definitely improve on at the pro level.

2 These guys are the 30 best insturctor in the world not the 500 best you see in colleges

I wouldnt say 30 best. Gotta think MLB and NBA and NHL have some stud S&C coaches. Also throw in some national team S&C for some countries and etc. 

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I wouldnt say 30 best. Gotta think MLB and NBA and NHL have some stud S&C coaches. Also throw in some national team S&C for some countries and etc. 

Interesting thought maybe that’s a good thought for discussion 

because I have never thought of browns coaches being that good

to me the strongest browns always worked on there own

Archived