Can you argue this QB list post-1980?

DirtyDez

I'd go something like,

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Manning

Then number 4 is really close between several guys, like

Marino, Rodgers, Brees, Young, Favre

And an argument can be made for several of those guys over Manning at number 3 IMO.

Then a gap, 

Then I'd probably have Warner, Elway, Big Ben

15 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I feel like it’s just because everyone does that you almost feel obligated to. Like he was pretty good for a really long time and got a couple rings and played in a lot of Super Bowls. 

Outside of the rings, Marino is overrated as well. He had Don Shula and couldn't sniff another SB outside of his 1st in which he got beat down by Montana. Elway at least went to multiple SBs and not lose to the likes of Stan Humpries and all the other avg Qbs that eliminated him in the AFC Playoffs.

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Marino
4. Rodgers
5. Manning
6. Brees
7. Favre
8.Young
9. Elway

Rodgers and Marino over Peyton? Why? You can't make any argument that Montana deserves #2 but Manning doesn't. Peyton is a better QB and has been the man on 2 franchises.no chance he isn't 2nd or 3rd best since the 80s.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Is it wrong for me to say he was the Eli Manning of his generation?

Yes. Elway was legitimately a top 5 QB in the 80’s and early 90’s. Eli was never accept maybe 2011. Elway was an MVP. Now he likely got it because of a split vote, but there is no scenario where Eli ever gets that close to an MVP. 

2 minutes ago, Classic said:

Outside of the rings, Marino is overrated as well. He had Don Shula and couldn't sniff another SB outside of his 1st in which he got beat down by Montana. Elway at least went to multiple SBs and not lose to the likes of Stan Humpries and all the other avg Qbs that eliminated him in the AFC Playoffs.

Rodgers and Marino over Peyton? Why? You can't make any argument that Montana deserves #2 but Manning doesn't. Peyton is a better QB and has been the man on 2 franchises.no chance he isn't 2nd or 3rd best since the 80s.

Marino was arguably the best pure passer in NFL history and he’s one of the only guys whose stat records can still hang with guys who played in the modern era. He was the first QB to put up modern numbers about 20 years early. I’d still put Marino top 5. Wouldn’t put him above Peyton but I consider him very similar. I think he was easily the second best of the 80’s and atleast top 3 overall of the 90’s. 

Interesting the amount of venom being spewed at Elway in this thread. I thought he was great. Carried a lot of lackluster Broncos teams for years. Got them farther than they ever deserved to get. Thought it would have been interesting to see in an alternate universe what Walsh could do with Elway and the 49ers. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Interesting the amount of venom being spewed at Elway in this thread. I thought he was great. Carried a lot of lackluster Broncos teams for years. Got them farther than they ever deserved to get. Thought it would have been interesting to see in an alternate universe what Walsh could do with Elway and the 49ers. 

I wouldn't call it venom, but to put him up there with some of these other names is quite wrong IMHO

I rate Elway about where I rate Terry Bradshaw. Very similar players. Rare athleticism, strong arms...hindered somewhat by not playing in great systems (well, in Elway's case only up until Fassel took over the offense in 93). Elway was smarter, though. Bradshaw really couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t."

On 10/22/2018 at 12:07 AM, DirtyDez said:

Top-9 QB’s post-1980 in no order...

(in no order)

Montana

Marino

Elway

Young

Favre

Manning

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Aikman led the Cowboys to 3 SB wins, Kelly led the Bills to four SBs, BR led the Steelers to 3, Warner led two different teams to 3 SBs.

Rogers and Favre one SB each, Young  and Marino one SB each.

Most entertaining, Brett Favre best ever.

48 minutes ago, Buddyboy said:

Aikman led the Cowboys to 3 SB wins, Kelly led the Bills to four SBs, BR led the Steelers to 3, Warner led two different teams to 3 SBs.

Rogers and Favre one SB each, Young  and Marino one SB each.

Most entertaining, Brett Favre best ever.

Is Aikman and Kelly really better QBs than Favre, Rodgers, Young, or Marino?(or anyone else on the list).  I don't think so.  Number of Super Bowls isn't everything(and it can't be, otherwise Eli Manning is greater than Marino, Favre, Young, his older brother, Brees, Warner, etc) 

Although Aikman and Kelly right behind the Ben/Elway group for me.

10 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Is Aikman and Kelly really better QBs than Favre, Rodgers, Young, or Marino?(or anyone else on the list).  I don't think so.  Number of Super Bowls isn't everything(and it can't be, otherwise Eli Manning is greater than Marino, Favre, Young, his older brother, Brees, Warner, etc) 

Although Aikman and Kelly right behind the Ben/Elway group for me.

They are all HoF caliber. For sake of argument:

E Manning 2 SB

Favre 1

Rogers 1

Young 1

Marino 1

Vs

Aikman 3

Kelly 4

Warner 3

15 hours ago, Classic said:

Penalising Manning being a pea-heart in the playoffs too many times. 87.5 rating in the playoffs, averaging almost an interception a game, and less than 1.5 touchdowns per game. He won only three games in which his defense allowed more than 20 points.  If it was based just on Regular season, He'd be in top 2 or 3.

As for Marino, he was a weapon. He could play today with that arm and pure talent.

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Penalising Manning being a pea-heart in the playoffs too many times. 87.5 rating in the playoffs, averaging almost an interception a game, and less than 1.5 touchdowns per game. He won only three games in which his defense allowed more than 20 points.  If it was based just on Regular season, He'd be in top 2 or 3.

As for Marino, he was a weapon. He could play today with that arm and pure talent.

Interesting that you take exception to Manning's playoff performances but not Marino's. 

4 minutes ago, rich homie said:

Interesting that you take exception to Manning's playoff performances but not Marino's. 

Let me know when Manning's team rushed for 21 yards on 18 carries and surrendered 62 points to the Jacksonville Jaguars.  in Marino’s 10 postseason losses, his team rushed for an average of 53 yards per game, while the defense surrendered an average of 34.5 points per game (in THOSE days). No one could win with that support.

Archived