Can you argue this QB list post-1980?

DirtyDez

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

I am not talking about wins and losses, that is a team thing. I am talking about individuals performances, Marino has way more duds then Manning. You can just write off some of these performances due to the quality of the team. 

I think they should be factored in to a wider argument. He wasn't as good as in the regular season, but he quite clearly had the worst supporting cast of all the other top 9 mentioned. Compare his receivers to Harrison and Wayne - it's no comparison, for example.

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think they should be factored in to a wider argument. He wasn't as good as in the regular season, but he quite clearly had the worst supporting cast of all the other top 9 mentioned. Compare his receivers to Harrison and Wayne - it's no comparison, for example.

The Mark brothers were one of the best duos of that era. It wasn't like Marino was carrying junk. On top of that Shula is better then an coach Peyton has played for. 

On 10/22/2018 at 6:57 PM, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand why Elway just gets thrown into all of these “best ever” lists? To me, he’s probably the most overrated NFL player of all-time. I’d take Warner over Elway if given the choice. 

Did you ever watch him play?

Just looking up stats and thinking you can judge a player you never saw is flawed.  I recently looked up his numbers a few months back and was surprised they weren't better.  But that was a different era and I never watched him play to know what the talent level and coaching was like around him.

If most people who watched football back then rate him as an all-time great, I would not challenge them based purely on looking up stats.  

2 hours ago, VanS said:

If most people who watched football back then rate him as an all-time great, I would not challenge them based purely on looking up stats.  

I wouldn't challenge them based purely on stats, but I would challenge them nonetheless.  People are driven by emotion, especially nostalgia, and winning or losing can have a drastic impact on how a player is perceived.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because winning is the objective of playing the game, but some context always needs to be applied to every case, especially in football, which is quite obviously a team driven sport more so than many others.

I think Elway is a great QB, but I definitely challenge people who say he's the best they've ever seen.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:23 PM, Jlowe22 said:

I wouldn't challenge them based purely on stats, but I would challenge them nonetheless.  People are driven by emotion, especially nostalgia, and winning or losing can have a drastic impact on how a player is perceived.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because winning is the objective of playing the game, but some context always needs to be applied to every case, especially in football, which is quite obviously a team driven sport more so than many others.

I think Elway is a great QB, but I definitely challenge people who say he's the best they've ever seen.

Elway to me is Big Ben of his era.    i always viewed as #3 QB behind montana and marino.  and honestly i liked jim kelly more than elway up until elway finally came through and won those 2 rings to cement his legacy.    

from eye test perspective he was a great talent for sure and just had a natural ability to thrive in a pressured situation.    if he had shanahan all his career maybe his mediocre stats would've looked better.   i'm ok, with him being top 10 in this list, but i have a problem with those denver fans who swear elway is better than montana or marino.   yes, there are enough people who believe that.  i know this because i lived there. 

Archived