Can you argue this QB list post-1980?

DirtyDez

On 10/22/2018 at 8:04 PM, PapaShogun said:

Interesting the amount of venom being spewed at Elway in this thread. I thought he was great. Carried a lot of lackluster Broncos teams for years. Got them farther than they ever deserved to get. Thought it would have been interesting to see in an alternate universe what Walsh could do with Elway and the 49ers. 

Wouldve been like Favre on the Packers.

1 hour ago, Viper652 said:

Elway was incredible. I don't get the hate. He willed teams to the Super Bowl that had no business being there 

He's better than overrated Montana

No the AFC just sucked back then. They had no business being on the same field as the NFC teams but getting their wasn’t as impressive. Any when he did get there he did what was expected. 

47 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Not sure if you’re referring to the OP but this is a list not a ranking.

No I'm not.  I'm just talking about people who think Elway is top 5 or even top 3.  I think he's at the bottom of top ten.  I'm constantly hearing otherwise though.

The OP looks like a chronological order.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:23 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Let me know when Manning's team rushed for 21 yards on 18 carries and surrendered 62 points to the Jacksonville Jaguars.  in Marino’s 10 postseason losses, his team rushed for an average of 53 yards per game, while the defense surrendered an average of 34.5 points per game (in THOSE days). No one could win with that support.

Yeah, Marino was also awful in many of those games. Peyton is a much better playoff performer then Marino. It is hypocritical to ding Manning and let Marino slide.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:30 PM, Jlowe22 said:

No I'm not.  I'm just talking about people who think Elway is top 5 or even top 3.  I think he's at the bottom of top ten.  I'm constantly hearing otherwise though.

This is about where I land too.  I am one of those old foggies who saw Elway play and no - you can't start and end the conversation with stats (like a career passer rating of 79.9, below such stars as Kyle Orton, Josh McCown and Blake Bortles) because Elway kept plays alive and had a will and drive to come up big late in games.  But you also can't just ignore those stats.

To me, the argument isn't "Was he a great qb?"  Of course.  That's a given.  It's "Does he belong in the top 10 all-time?" and I'd say he's close but not quite.

It also irks me when Broncos fans use the argument that "Elway dragged all those average teams to the playoffs" then turn around and say the HOF has a bias because the guys on those Elway teams aren't enshrined already.  Can't have it both ways.

11 hours ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, Marino was also awful in many of those games. Peyton is a much better playoff performer then Marino. It is hypocritical to ding Manning and let Marino slide.

I disagree, I think Marino overachieved with what he was working with (even with 0 rings), whereas Peyton underachieved. I think that is very obvious.

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I disagree, I think Marino overachieved with what he was working with (even with 0 rings), whereas Peyton underachieved. I think that is very obvious.

I am not talking about wins and losses, that is a team thing. I am talking about individuals performances, Marino has way more duds then Manning. You can just write off some of these performances due to the quality of the team. 

Archived