Jarvis Landry and Baker Mayfields thoughts on officiating

candyman93

"There's a lot of stuff being put on protecting the quarterback,'' said Mayfield. "It doesn't seem like the Browns are getting a lot of calls. They can review and they can say I was a runner, but I started my slide. It's helmet-to-helmet contact. I felt it. But I got up and let the guy know he's going to have to hit me a lot harder than that if he wants to affect me."

"Tom Brady gets that call,'' he said. "Aaron Rodgers gets that call. Any other quarterback gets that call. It's tough to beat a team and feel like you're playing against another team as well (the officials). It's a problem. It's really a problem.''

Landry added, "All quarterbacks turn into a runner but when they slide, they get their protection back. I don't understand the difference, and he hit them in the head. He hit him in the head.''

He lamented that Browns defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah was flagged 15 yards for roughing on Jameis Winston for what seemed like a lesser offense.

He added, "We're the most penalized team in the NFL. Every week it's 12-15 penalties. Nobody listens. It's not to attack the referees, but somebody should be taking a look at this stuff. We get apologies, but it's game-changing plays. People's jobs, lives are at stake. I don't understand why it's not a bigger issue.''

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/10/baker_mayfield_5.html

I was just saying this stuff to my wife while I drove her to work. The officiating has been deplorable. When a QB slides, you can't hit him, and you sure as hell can't hit him in the head. Very very very simple stuff.

Honestly, the college refs have easily surpassed the quality of NFL refs. They regularly take their time, confer, check replays thoroughly, and typically they get it right. The rules are clear and consistent.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

The worse part is that Baker and Landry are saying this and not Hue. C’mon coach, stand up for your players. 

Players coach my butt, hasn’t shown any fire to chew a ref out for the treatment of his players. 

Hue is much like ty lue in this sense. Too selfish to say or do anything to get fined. 

I’m usually not one to criticize refs as I think they (in all sports) have a difficult job with the speed at things happen. I think for the most part fans are pretty ridiculous with their complaints. However, I definitely have a problem with the refs against the Browns this year. We’ve been hosed all year so far. It’s quite literally the worst I’ve ever seen. Something has to be done. 

Btw I bet we lead the league in calls being overturned not in our favor. (Favour to you over seas) The latest being that head hit on Baker that was originally called correctly. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Hue is much like ty lue in this sense. Too selfish to say or do anything to get fined. 

Ty Lue will actually chew a ref out once and awhile. I don’t think Hue has ever done that here in Cleveland

1 hour ago, dawgdish said:

Am I the only one confused? Runner or no, sliding or no, I thought helmet to helmet was illegal, period in the age of protecting players. Blatant horrible call that flies in the face of the "protecting the player" lip service.

The worst part about it was the acknowledgment that there was head to head contact. That's absolutely disgraceful. I expect better from a Hochuli.

Archived