Week 8: Saints (5-1) at VIKINGS (4-2-1)

swede700

Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?

• 0 - 245 yds (his average vs. the Vikings in the playoffs)
    • 246 - 312 yds
    • 313+ yds

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

He didn't say we have to shut them down. He said we have to SLOW them down. Pretty big difference.

Hold them under 40 points and our odds increase. Hold them under 30 points and our odds increase even further. I don't think anyone is saying the only way to beat the Saints is to hold them under 20 points. I maybe would've said that last year, but I think we have the tools to keep up with high-powered offenses if we only get a few stops.

Last year we were 1-3 when allowing over 24 points to an opponent, probably because we only scored over 24 seven times ourselves. This year, we've already scored over 24 in 4 of 7 games (over 21 in 6 of 7). While we haven't won yet this year when allowing over 24 (0-2-1), the probabilities for winning those games is probably higher than it was last year.

Yeah certainly slowing is easier than shutting. My bad. Still won't be easy regardless.

Keep them under 30 should be the goal. 

I still don't think the defense is fully back to where it was last year but it has been getting gradually better and is, thankfully, still dominant on 3rd down.

Hopefully the defense shows up to elite status again. We're back at home after playing in a "wind storm." We're coming off 3 straight wins. But I guess it all depends on who has the owies this week. We need Linval, Barr, and Rhodes back for sure.

Kirk, while he's been playing good, has had a couple very pedestrian games and has made some very questionable choices in the games. He'll need to step it up this week. No fumbles, no handful of batted balls at the line, no weird backwards passes, and no dumb INTs.

it'll be very very hard to come back if we're down 7-10 points so we can't let that happen.

28 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Are the Eagles and Steelers really any good this year? Seem like mediocre teams so far.

They are still going to be tough outs regardless.  And they aren't any more mediocre than most of the league is.  :D

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They are still going to be tough outs regardless.  And they aren't any more mediocre than most of the league is.  :D

Agreed. They are tough outs. I posted Elo ratings in the playoff hunt thread. The Steelers and Eagles both still have a higher Elo than the Vikings. Both teams have the highest Elo rating in their respective division.

22 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm actually being somewhat serious, because I like well-played football games, and 45-38 games are not well-played football games.  

Me too!  I also like watching a really nasty defenses playing their best!

3 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Me too!  I also like watching a really nasty defenses playing their best!

remember when our 70's defenses would average giving up something like 9 points a game....?

i expect @Klomp to confirm this soon and bust me if i used an incorrect stat lol.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hmm... Saints already gave their 1st round pick to the Packers for next year, now they lose another high-ish pick presumably.

Saints all in this year....

it's only for a 4th in 2019 and a 7th in 2020

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

remember when our 70's defenses would average giving up something like 9 points a game....?

i expect @Klomp to confirm this soon and bust me if i used an incorrect stat lol.

Yes. I remember!  I also remember some games when the Vikings defense outscored the Vikings offense!  I am sorry that the league has decided to basically neuter defenses.  I don't like artificially inflated offensive statistics!  I want great players who would be great in any era to be the ones standing out.  There are, in my opinion, to many mediocre talented offensive players having good to great seasons and/or careers.  Neither Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan are exceptionally talented quarterbacks...but both have put up big numbers in their career.  I don't think either would have been starters for their teams in the 1970's.

17 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Neither Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan are exceptionally talented quarterbacks...but both have put up big numbers in their career.  I don't think either would have been starters for their teams in the 1970's.

who was the starter for the Falcons in the 70's? Bob Lee?

and then for the Ravens, i guess it would be who was the Browns' starter at the time?

EDIT: the Falcons had Bartkowski back then, of course!

Archived