Week 8 GDT: Houston vs Miami

Pastor Dillon

No one was signed up for it, and the game is just a few days away, so I'll take it. 

This is an intriguing match up. The Dolphins have some talent, but are struggling to put it all together. Tannehill has some mysterious arm injury and Brock is looking like the guy we signed him to be. 600 yards and 6 TDs in his two starts. 

There are several keys to this game

#1 Houston Texans Running Game

The Dolphins run defense has been terrible. They give up 137 yards per game rushing, good for 29th in the league. On the flip side of that, the Texans average 114 per game, good for 15th in the league. The Texans need to take control of the running game and ride it to victory. 

#2 Houston Texans Pass Defense

We got a gift yesterday as the Dolphins leading WR Albert Wilson suffered a bad injury that will keep him out for sometime. Kenny Stills left the game Sunday in the 4th injured as well, no word has been said on whether or not he will be able to play, but on a short week, there is a good chance he misses the game. Devontae Parker has been out and is the subject of trade rumors. That only leaves Danny Amendola and Jakeem Grant for the Dolphins at WR. We should be able to shut down their passing game. If we can, then we can load up the box to stop Gore and Drake who form a very solid 1-2 punch at RB

#3 Houston's offensive line

As always, this is a key to the game. On the injury front Fulton missed the game Sunday and I would be shocked if he plays this Thursday. Mancz played well in his place. The team has been solid running the ball this year. The pass protection is where the struggle is. Sunday was the best pass protection we have had all season. Watson was only sacked once and hit 5 times. We need to keep Watson healthy and give him time. The Dolphins only have 11 sacks this season, which is 28th in the league and no one has over 2. That doesn't mean a lot when you consider that New England ranks 30th and the Giants rank last and they both sacked Watson 3 times. 

Predictions:

Houston Texans 27
Miami Dolphins 13

I think the offense finds success and the D keeps up the strong performances. Dolphins lead the league in INTs and Watson is prone to throw them, so I think that will come into play, but ultimately I do not want to believe that Brock Osweiler can come in on a short week with a beat up WR corp and beat the Houston Texans on National TV. It wouldnt be the first time that we lost a game we should have won though. 

Dolphins CB (and Houston native) Xavien Howard is the best CB you've never heard of. Just as good as the top tier guys such as Ramsey, Peterson, Rhodes etc. (Our Baylor contingency should know him).

I wouldn't be too surprised if Hopkins has a tougher time vs Howard than his day vs Ramsey yesterday...

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Dolphins CB (and Houston native) Xavien Howard is the best CB you've never heard of. Just as good as the top tier guys such as Ramsey, Peterson, Rhodes etc. (Our Baylor contingency should know him).

I wouldn't be too surprised if Hopkins has a tougher time vs Howard than his day vs Ramsey yesterday...

went to wheatley hs.  there is also another wheatley hs player that's in the nfl and he so happens to play cb. William Jackson.

Gonna be that guy...

I am terrified of this game. Petrified, even. Why? Well, there's the usual:

- Primetime.

- Former Texans tend to do well against the Texans.

- Bill O'Brien is still our HC.

Then, there's what I'm hearing in interviews... Everyone is laughing, joking, making light of the season. Speaking of the four game winning streak, while ignoring the three game losing streak. Making jokes about Deshaun Watson taking the bus, while burying the lead on how our horrible OL getting him killed is what led to his lung partially collapsing. 

In short - the four game win streak has put this team into a state of complacency, and this team does not have the mental makeup to be complacent. As the losing-streak-to-winning streak shows us, this team takes a while to warm up, and only warms up when their feet are to the fire and have to fight to avoid the city turning on them. They're no longer there now, so I'm expecting the same issues to plague us when it comes to gameplanning, discipline and execution - on a short week, no less. 

This one will be ugly, and Brock is going to have a bunch of press conference material on how "he knows this team" and "he can draw on that experience" to pull out a win. 

Miami 28 - Houston 10. Deshaun throws another pick in the end zone, Osweiler goes for 250 and two TDs, and the team is knocked out of this comfortable spot...

...which might be a good thing.

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

He did have a couple penalties last week - but they weren't egregious, they were the kind I can "live with" being called occasionally when merited.

Other than that, he completely mogged Kenny Golladay all game. Glued to his hip. Kid is going to write his own check this offseason.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

He did have a couple penalties last week - but they weren't egregious, they were the kind I can "live with" being called occasionally when merited.

Other than that, he completely mogged Kenny Golladay all game. Glued to his hip. Kid is going to write his own check this offseason.

I didn't buy into the hype, but I'm a believer now. Dude has the size to play physical, but can shadow and mimic smaller, quicker guys when needed. He's the type of CB that can give guys fits. 

Hopkins is arguably the most physical WR in the league right now, so there's gonna be a lot of hand fighting and jostling for positioning between the two. 

Should be a fun matchup to follow on Thursday.

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hopkins is arguably the most physical WR in the league right now, so there's gonna be a lot of hand fighting and jostling for positioning between the two. 

Should be a fun matchup to follow on Thursday.

Yup, Hopkins has proven again he's a top-tier WR, will be the best talent X has faced this year.

I don't think Howard will follow him into the slot - I believe there he will draw Minkah Fitzpatrick.

4 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

I feel good about this game. We're 7 and 1 against the phins, for some reason we always show up against them. With Clowney beasting at the right time he's near unstoppable. Another good effort from our defense and this should be 5 straight. 

The only thing we know for sure is that Clowney will not show up this week 

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

In the last 3 games, we have only completed one pass that went over 20 yards in the air. 

another reason why our offense is boring.  whats the use of drafting will fuller when you dont even use him as a deep threat?  they did last year with watson and now this season they arent.  its a joke.

6 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

another reason why our offense is boring.  whats the use of drafting will fuller when you dont even use him as a deep threat?  they did last year with watson and now this season they arent.  its a joke.

We’ve had him a few times and Watson has missed. But our line is so terrible that we can’t give Watson the time to go deep. 

Archived