Let's talk about Taysom Hill and gadget players

AFlaccoSeagulls

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

A question has to be asked...is Taysom Hill the most multitalented player in modern NFL history? Who has played as many roles as Hill and been successful?

There have been lots of multi-role guys in the NFL, but very few of them included QB as one of the roles.
Brian Mitchell is the only one I remember taking any QB snaps in addition to RB/WR/KR/PR
Hill has been absolutely amazing and Payton deserves credit for using him so well on offense and ST's...
...and there are still more chapters to be written on his career. 2019 Playoffs should add more to the legend of Taysom Hill

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So...it's been another year, and Taysom Hill is even better than he was last season. He has improved significantly as an H-back/TE and has 5 receiving TDs on the year. He has about a 25% TD/catch rate. He's still running at a high YPC clip even though teams know he is coming. He has also blocked a punt this year, returned kicks, and plays on the coverage unit on special teams.

A question has to be asked...is Taysom Hill the most multitalented player in modern NFL history? Who has played as many roles as Hill and been successful?

He is undoubtedly one of the most unique players I have seen since I started watching football 25+ years ago. I have no doubt he is going to be utilized in some fun ways during the playoffs. Last year he looked like an athlete trying to play WR/TE, this season he is much more fluid out there. I'm glad we have expanded him more on offense from the predictable Read option plays where he keeps it like 90% of the time and the defense knows it coming. What I really would like to see in the playoffs is a formation that includes Hill, Kamara, and Deonte Harris. There is so much explosive ability with those 3 that it could be a match up nightmare if we were to utilize it on occasion. 

• Like 1

Taysom Hill has turned into a legit receiver.  He’s largely just a very athletic guy with decent hands, but he gets where he’s supposed to be quick, and Brees puts it on him, and that’s all we need for a depth guy.  He doesn’t have to be Michael Thomas.  He’s also not afraid to lower his shoulder on a guy.  It’s much needed too, because we’ve had questionable receiver play behind Thomas, and Kamara has been hurt/possibly regressed.

We needed help on special teams too, and he made a valuable contribution there.

What I want to see next is Taysom Hill at linebacker.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I think this is going to go incredibly well. We always see the football world laugh off QBs like this but they usually win. And we’ve mostly only seen them on untalented offenses with coordinators like Roman and McCoy. With a playcaller like Payton who actually buys into Hill and all the talent they have I think this is going to be a game changer.

17 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think this is going to go incredibly well. We always see the football world laugh off QBs like this but they usually win. And we’ve mostly only seen them on untalented offenses with coordinators like Roman and McCoy. With a playcaller like Payton who actually buys into Hill and all the talent they have I think this is going to be a game changer.

Like who?  Who are the QBs like Taysom, a run-first 30 year old first-time starter, that usually win?

It’s far more likely he flops than anything else. We’ll see though.

Edited by iknowcool

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Like who?  Who are the QBs like Taysom, a run-first 30 year old first-time starter, that usually win?

It’s far more likely he flops than anything else. We’ll see though.

I don't get this in a probable shootout.  He's not facing some low level grinders, he's going up against a Falcon's team that will put up points.  He's going to have to throw.  A lot.

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’m not sure there is a precedence for Taysom Hill. Incredibly unique player and situation. 

He’s not nearly as unique as ya’ll make him out to be.

He’s a very athletic QB. That’s it. What makes him any different than say, a Kordell Stewart?  It just so happens that Payton finds it worth taking Brees out for him. 

But dude’s 30. Had numerous injuries in college. Hasn’t thrown a TD in years. I’d be shocked if he turned out to be much more than a Tyrod Taylor at best. 

Just now, iknowcool said:

He’s not nearly as unique as ya’ll make him out to be.

He’s a very athletic QB. That’s it. What makes him any different than say, a Kordell Stewart?  It just so happens that Payton finds it worth taking Brees out for him. 

But dude’s 30. Had numerous injuries in college. Hasn’t thrown a TD in years. I’d be shocked if he turned out to be much more than a Tyrod Taylor at best. 

He can literally play every position on the field. And Kordell was pretty rare. And I agree...his circumstances are unique...exactly like I said. 

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

He can literally play every position on the field. And Kordell was pretty rare. And I agree...his circumstances are unique...exactly like I said. 

Dude, he plays like limited snaps at multiple positions. You really think other guys couldn’t do that? You are vastly overestimating Hill’s athleticism. Like I said, the only difference is Payton considers it worth subbing Brees out for him.

Look anything can happen but I am like 95% positive of how Hill is gonna look as a full-time QB. He’s a 30-year old inexperienced run-first QB. Ain’t hard to figure out what will probably happen if you have watched the NFL for long.

Edited by iknowcool

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Dude, he plays like limited snaps at multiple positions. You really think other guys couldn’t do that? You are vastly overestimating Hill’s athleticism. Like I said, the only difference is Payton considers it worth subbing Brees out for him.

Look anything can happen but I am like 95% positive of how Hill is gonna look as a full-time QB. He’s a 30-year old inexperienced run-first QB. Ain’t hard to figure out what will probably happen if you have watched the NFL for long.

I’ve watched football for a long time and RPOQBs have surprising good early returns only to fizzle out over the next few years. But the early returns are rarely not there early on. 

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’ve watched football for a long time and RPOQBs have surprising good early returns only to fizzle out over the next few years. But the early returns are rarely not there early on. 

He’s 30 years old. If the early returns aren’t there, then what do you really have in him? 

EDIT - Misread. 

Edited by iknowcool