Let's talk about Taysom Hill and gadget players

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 minute ago, Raves said:

The cap is just an imaginary number with the Saints.  No matter how much they are supposedly in the red each year they always seem to find a way to bring in new FAs or extend people after making a bunch of restructures etc.

Yep. Exactly why I dont look in depth. I did a mock with Chicago and was able to manipulate it, so guys making six figures should easily be able to. 

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

As a passer, Hill wasn't anything special this past week. He just followed the game plan.

That's impressive in and of itself to an extent.  We don't need a hero, just a guy that won't sink the ship.

He has a lot of work to do as a passer, but all in all, it was a solid first time start.  

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Sure, Taysom Hill is the "best utility player" in the NFL if that is the criteria we're using.  But what exactly is that supposed to mean when he is the only player used in that role?

At the time this thread was made there were a handful of "gadget" players in the NFL and I noted them. Of course nobody doing quite what Taysom Hill does, but there's a handful of guys who play WR/HB and are used extensively in that type of mold. The Ravens have their FB play DT from time to time as well, things like that.

The difference that Taysom Hill brings is that he can literally do everything, a jack-of-all-trades type of player. Is he going to do any of them at an elite level? No, but the mere fact that he can do everything at a level that is acceptable at NFL-standards is quite remarkable.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yep. Exactly why I dont look in depth. I did a mock with Chicago and was able to manipulate it, so guys making six figures should easily be able to. 

Cap is like the national debt, no one gives a ****, let's buy more stuff.

14 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

That's impressive in and of itself to an extent.  We don't need a hero, just a guy that won't sink the ship.

He has a lot of work to do as a passer, but all in all, it was a solid first time start.  

May have guessed from my name that I'm a Saints fan, but Sunday we saw our future quarterback.  10.1 air-yards per attempt?  78% completion percentage without a single one of those lame dump-off passes to Kamara?  6 passes for 15+ yards in a game?  I think Drew has 6 all season! 

I haven't seen an offense like that since the early days of the Drew Brees era.   To say nothing of Hill's running ability of course. 

As far as I'm concerned Drew Brees can take the rest of the season off to rest those ribs and enjoy time with his family.   Unless Hill is a one-game wonder, which I doubt, THIS is the offense we need in the playoffs.   The dink/dunk has failed us in the postseason in spectacular fashion over the past 3 years and I'm sick of it personally.

2 minutes ago, Saint_James said:

May have guessed from my name that I'm a Saints fan, but Sunday we saw our future quarterback.  10.1 air-yards per attempt?  78% completion percentage without a single one of those lame dump-off passes to Kamara?  6 passes for 15+ yards in a game?  I think Drew has 6 all season! 

I haven't seen an offense like that since the early days of the Drew Brees era.   To say nothing of Hill's running ability of course. 

As far as I'm concerned Drew Brees can take the rest of the season off to rest those ribs and enjoy time with his family.   Unless Hill is a one-game wonder, which I doubt, THIS is the offense we need in the playoffs.   The dink/dunk has failed us in the postseason in spectacular fashion over the past 3 years and I'm sick of it personally.

The Dink and dunk with Brees gets a little extreme sometimes, but it’s not all roses with Hill either.  His deep passing looked pretty terrible, and it’s clear he doesn’t process the game as quickly as Brees.  If that doesn’t improve, it’s gonna tank us against a team that isn’t a league worst pass defense like the Falcons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

The Dink and dunk with Brees gets a little extreme sometimes, but it’s not all roses with Hill either.  His deep passing looked pretty terrible, and it’s clear he doesn’t process the game as quickly as Brees.  If that doesn’t improve, it’s gonna tank us against a team that isn’t a league worst pass defense like the Falcons.

That bomb TD called back for holding didn't look terrible.  Yeah the floater to Sanders was bad, but I think the ball just slipped from his hand.  Anyway it goes down as a completion.

The intermediate passing though?  Was stellar.   The ball came with some heat, he anticipated the throws and I was very impressed with his chemistry with the WR's.  That deep ball to Thomas where he hung in the pocket while a defender was hitting him, money.   The other pass where he climbed in the pocket through pressure to deliver a dime, niceeee.  Hill adds an element that makes the Saints very hard to gameplan for.  He can run it,  and I mean RUN it not just scramble.  He can go deep.  He can rip those seam routes in the 10-15 yard zone with a fastball.

As far as not processing the game as quickly as Brees, well you are right about that but is that a fair criticism?  Not many QB's in the NFL do that as well as Brees, they still win a lot of games.

Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis don't miss on players, they just don't.  Maybe it's time to trust them?  Everyone in national media laughed when Payton said Hill was the next Steve Young.  Maybe the guy knows a thing or two about football and he's earned some trust, just a thought? 

4 minutes ago, Saint_James said:

That bomb TD called back for holding didn't look terrible.  Yeah the floater to Sanders was bad, but I think the ball just slipped from his hand.  Anyway it goes down as a completion.

The intermediate passing though?  Was stellar.   The ball came with some heat, he anticipated the throws and I was very impressed with his chemistry with the WR's.  That deep ball to Thomas where he hung in the pocket while a defender was hitting him, money.   The other pass where he climbed in the pocket through pressure to deliver a dime, niceeee.  Hill adds an element that makes the Saints very hard to gameplan for.  He can run it,  and I mean RUN it not just scramble.  He can go deep.  He can rip those seam routes in the 10-15 yard zone with a fastball.

As far as not processing the game as quickly as Brees, well you are right about that but is that a fair criticism?  Not many QB's in the NFL do that as well as Brees, they still win a lot of games.

Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis don't miss on players, they just don't.  Maybe it's time to trust them?  Everyone in national media laughed when Payton said Hill was the next Steve Young.  Maybe the guy knows a thing or two about football and he's earned some trust, just a thought? 

The intermediate passing was better than I expected for sure.  He has potential, and his athleticism is certainly an advantage.

What we need to see though, is consistency and production against some better defenses.  It’s not necessarily criticism, we just need to see more.  I’m rooting for the guy and hope he is the QBOTF.

As of right now, it was a solid first time start, but also 24 points against a garbage defense at home.  Let’s not crown him or write him off yet.

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

The intermediate passing was better than I expected for sure.  He has potential, and his athleticism is certainly an advantage.

What we need to see though, is consistency and production against some better defenses.  It’s not necessarily criticism, we just need to see more.  I’m rooting for the guy and hope he is the QBOTF.

As of right now, it was a solid first time start, but also 24 points against a garbage defense at home.  Let’s not crown him or write him off yet.

Man you know Atlanta is never an easy out for us no matter what the record is.  Every time I take them for granted, they come down and spoil it for us lol.  So I'm not even going there, but I agree we need to see more of Hill but people were saying he just straight up couldn't throw passes in the NFL.   THAT has been soundly debunked after this game I think. 

16 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Hill didn't look phenomenal yesterday, but he was pretty darn good in the 2nd half when he settled down (though he needs to be careful with the backside pursuit, and fumble). And his running ability is definitely good. He's essentially Josh Allen and Cam Newton out there. When it's 3rd-and-1 or 2, that's pretty much a first down. That's INCREDIBLY valuable for moving the chains. If the Saints defense continues to play well and they avoid down and distance...Taysom Hill can have a ton of success in this offense. I don't know if he'd be a great fit for every team...but in his current set of circumstances, he can definitely be a winning starting QB. 

Your defense was so good, they could have put pretty much anyone out there at QB and been fine.

16 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I feel like teams with scrambling QBs tend to get away with more holding calls 

The Saints in general have gotten away with egregious holding calls under Drew Brees and Sean Payton. It's not just against the Falcons either. It's against everyone.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Lol what. This seems like confirmation bias to the absolute max.

This is the same guy that claimed Michael Thomas is (direct quote) "basically Mohamed Sanu with more targets". He can't talk about the Saints without an extreme amount of Falcons bias showing. Almost GSUeagles level bad lol