Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AFlaccoSeagulls

Let's talk about Taysom Hill and gadget players

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The way that he’s currently utilized, I agree. But when Taysom starts passing the ball more, I think that it will prove how unique he is. There are really only a handful of QBs that could do what Hill is currently doing for the Saints, and I’m skeptical that many if any would do as well. Cam, maybe. I don’t think that Jackson is as good in that role. 

You’ll need to get stuff open for Hill on gadget plays or play action. 

 

He looked like a good passer in preseason in the 4th quarter against trash. There’s a reason Payton went after Teddy, and it’s not because he’s keeping Hills passing ability some big secret. 

If we use him as a passer it’s going to be how we’ve used him so far. I don’t ever see him throwing more than once or twice a game on gadget plays, not while Brees is here anyways 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dome said:

I am? I freaking compared him to Tim Tebow. Lol

I see him as a gadget player that can make plays when you design them for him. I said it’s more about Payton’s offense than Hill being a unique player, I said I’m not even sure if we trust Hill to throw the ball at all.

What about that is unreasonable? 

And the McEvoy comparison is still bad. 

Now you know we can't talk about Saints players without being unreasonable right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dome said:

I am? I freaking compared him to Tim Tebow. Lol

I see him as a gadget player that can make plays when you design them for him. I said it’s more about Payton’s offense than Hill being a unique player, I said I’m not even sure if we trust Hill to throw the ball at all.

What about that is unreasonable? 

And the McEvoy comparison is still bad. 

Bro, that response wasn't to you. As for McEvoy, he can do everything that Hill does except maybe return kicks (but he can also play safety).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Bro, that response wasn't to you. As for McEvoy, he can do everything that Hill does except maybe return kicks (but he can also play safety).

In response to me you said “that would be like me getting excited about Pharoh Cooper” ...

Maybe he can do all the same things as Hill, but they aren’t being used the same. Hill is also a better ST player IMO but I haven’t seen enough of McEvoy to take a strong stance on that.

How much S has McEvoy played in the NFL?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dome said:

In response to me you said “that would be like me getting excited about Pharoh Cooper” ...

Maybe he can do all the same things as Hill, but they aren’t being used the same. Hill is also a better ST player IMO but I haven’t seen enough of McEvoy to take a strong stance on that.

How much S has McEvoy played in the NFL?

 

Yep, that was in response to you, but I didn't accuse you of excitement. I was pointing out that nobody really pays attention to the bottom-of-the-roster guys. There are plenty of guys in the NFL who can play special teams effectively and be used as a gadget player, including wildcat QB, on offense. I don't know if McEvoy played S in the NFL. I know he had 6 picks as a safety at Wisconsin as a senior. As I recall, he was a good special teams player in Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep, that was in response to you, but I didn't accuse you of excitement. I was pointing out that nobody really pays attention to the bottom-of-the-roster guys. There are plenty of guys in the NFL who can play special teams effectively and be used as a gadget player, including wildcat QB, on offense. I don't know if McEvoy played S in the NFL. I know he had 6 picks as a safety at Wisconsin as a senior. As I recall, he was a good special teams player in Seattle.

Im sorry but nobody is being used the way Taysom Hill is. Nobody. He's a returner, ST coverage guy, QB, HB, lines up out wide. Tons of gadget dudes in the NFL, none of them as widely used as Taysom Hill is. Its big facts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There are plenty of guys in the NFL who can play special teams effectively and be used as a gadget player, including wildcat QB, on offense.

Yeah I’ve said that a couple times now. It’s more about a coach wanting to use them than a special skill set. 

That said, I think Hill is a little more special than your average gadget player. How many of them were throwing 49 times this preseason? Did any of them throw for over 360 yards and have a 73% completion percentage over that time? And an additional 161 rushing yards and two scores?

How many of them have shown they can lead an offense, even if it’s just the preseason?

 

Of course it’s just the preseason and it doesn’t matter when looking at what he can do when we’re playing real football, but I don’t remember seeing any other “gadget players” capable of that preseason showing. 

 But to be fair, If you’re talking about what McEvoy did in college, the preseason showing from Hill should be just about gospel. Lol

I’m not as high in him as some Saints fans, but I don’t think you’re giving him quite enough credit. Just a little more please ;)

 

 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

McEvoy played QB, WR, and S at Wisconsin. He has played TE and WR in the NFL. He has mainly stuck around for special teams value. You're getting excited for a bottom-of-the-roster type talent. I don't get it. Who cares if he's okay at a lot of things?

McEvoy can't block. McEvoy doesn't run a 4.4 and doesn't run through defenders. I watched him play for Seattle, and he was terrible. This comparison is god awful, jrry. Aside from them both being tall white dudes, they're not comparable in the slightest.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Im sorry but nobody is being used the way Taysom Hill is. Nobody. He's a returner, ST coverage guy, QB, HB, lines up out wide. Tons of gadget dudes in the NFL, none of them as widely used as Taysom Hill is. Its big facts.

And this was ultimately part of what I was trying to explore with this thread. Is Taysom Hill being used better/more broadly than other gadget players (it appears the answer is yes)? And also to examine if the Saints' usage of a player like Hill will make other NFL teams explore using other gadget players like Hill and not just speedsters like Tavon Austin or RB's like Ronnie Young, but true "gadget" weapons who can do a little bit of everything for your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Im sorry but nobody is being used the way Taysom Hill is. Nobody. He's a returner, ST coverage guy, QB, HB, lines up out wide. Tons of gadget dudes in the NFL, none of them as widely used as Taysom Hill is. Its big facts.

hes not really beig used in all those ways. its like lining a qb out wide in the wild cat and calling him a wr. All this was already pointed out though and ignored for some reason, probably cause it didnt fit the false narrative some want to push. He was two pass attempts, 1 target and 18 rush attempts. Hes a talented guy that they use in different ways to let him run the ball. Hes a good special teams player too. hes talented, however not that rare.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

hes not really beig used in all those ways. its like lining a qb out wide in the wild cat and calling him a wr. All this was already pointed out though and ignored for some reason, probably cause it didnt fit the false narrative some want to push. He was two pass attempts, 1 target and 18 rush attempts. Hes a talented guy that they use in different ways to let him run the ball. Hes a good special teams player too. hes talented, however not that rare.

He's had a pass thrown to him, has he not? Hes blocked inline as a TE regularly. He is rare. If he wasnt rare, he wouldn't be the first guy I can remember to throw a pass, run routes, run the ball, play STs, return kicks and block as a TE. Why is it so hard for people to admit he's an extremely versatile player who's being used really well?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of him but hes definitely unique. Andy Reid would love him.

 

Tyreek definitely cant throw the ball, hes left handed and says Mahomes throws it better left handed.??

Edited by Chiefer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

He's had a pass thrown to him, has he not? Hes blocked inline as a TE regularly. He is rare. If he wasnt rare, he wouldn't be the first guy I can remember to throw a pass, run routes, run the ball, play STs, return kicks and block as a TE. Why is it so hard for people to admit he's an extremely versatile player who's being used really well?

so if joe flacco is thrown a singular pass is he then a wr? The logical answer is of course not, hes a qb that just happened to catch a pass one time. Why is it so hard for pepople to ne reasonable and logical? I dont think anyones denying hill is talented, i said it at least twice in my post... its just not that rare. Sanu ran the ball, threw it and obviosuly played wr last year, no one said he was used as a qb and for good reason.... he just happened to throw one pass. he lined up at fullback in the backfield and might have even played te. He was not a fullback or a te... and hes not really rare or special either.

Edited by GSUeagles14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

so if joe flacco is thrown a singular pass is he then a wr? The logical answer is of course not, hes a qb that just happened to catch a pass one time. Why is it so hard for pepople to ne reasonable and logical? I dont think anyones denying hill is talented, i said it at least twice in my post... its just not that rare. Sanu ran the ball, threw it and obviosuly played wr last year, no one said he was used as a qb and for good reason.... he just happened to throw one pass. he lined up at fullback in the backfield and might have even played te. He was not a fullback or a te... and hes not really rare or special either.

Holy cow. Hill is a phenominal athlete. He's not a QB who was asked to run a route once, or run the ball once a season. He's regularly brought in to run the ball, he blocks pretty often at TE, he returns the ball, he plays STs, he's had designed passing plays and I think its very clear to anyone except the people who have some sort of bias to see that the Saints clearly have big plans for him in the offense. Why show all your cards in the regular season? Taysom Hill is unique and rare. You have a clear bias, I don't think we need to discuss how often you're outwardly bashing the Saints because you're a Falcons fan lol.

It's okay. The Saints have a unique weapon that they're utilizing well. It's not like he's a pro bowler or anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Holy cow. Hill is a phenominal athlete. He's not a QB who was asked to run a route once, or run the ball once a season. He's regularly brought in to run the ball, he blocks pretty often at TE, he returns the ball, he plays STs, he's had designed passing plays and I think its very clear to anyone except the people who have some sort of bias to see that the Saints clearly have big plans for him in the offense. Why show all your cards in the regular season? Taysom Hill is unique and rare. You have a clear bias, I don't think we need to discuss how often you're outwardly bashing the Saints because you're a Falcons fan lol.

It's okay. The Saints have a unique weapon that they're utilizing well. It's not like he's a pro bowler or anything.

cool story bro... why is it arguments always break down to "your biased" with you? Why would a chiefs fan be biased against hill? What exactly is my bias? we need more here than your a falcons fan. You have a habit of extremely lazy arguments the second people dont agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...