Amari Cooper traded to Cowboys

Tyronnosaurus

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Y'know...I wonder if them trading for Cooper had anything to do with the reports Herbert is going to be returning to Oregon for his senior year?

Could be. But that would have been a terrible reason. Although I think it is telling about where they were going with their first round pick this year though.

Only reason why Cooper was a horrible trade is because it was a first and not a 2nd. Considering how bad our record is I doubt the Raiders had a better offer.

Well, we can grade this trade on his performance over the next 25 games (hopefully more). That’s what remains on his current contract. The pressure is gonna be pretty big on this kid, can he handle it better than Galloway and Williams?? 

27 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Could be. But that would have been a terrible reason. Although I think it is telling about where they were going with their first round pick this year though.

Only reason why Cooper was a horrible trade is because it was a first and not a 2nd. Considering how bad our record is I doubt the Raiders had a better offer.

True, a high first round pick could have been used on another position or as ammo in a trade down to acquire more picks. 

Knowing this squad though...I can see us doing just enough to be picking outside of the top ten, most likely around that 15-20 range. So, a WR would have been a possibility anyway. 

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Well yeah. I think all of this is pretty standard operation anymore. They're dissected with a fine tooth comb by a few million experts and people of "knowledge".  I don't really think the 1 or 2 always end up being stars is all that accurate either. 

Well this years rookies look pretty good. Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold look the part.

The year before was a project QB that many had pegged as a 2nd rounder named Patrick Mahomes. Trubisky was a 1 year starter with questions and he threw like 6 TDs the other day.

2016 there was Goff and Wentz who we all felt were over drafted and over traded for.

2015 Winston and Mariota. These guys haven't become elite yet, but both are still flashing potential. 

2014 didnt start well with Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel but was made up for with Teddy Bridgwater, Dereck Carr, and Jimmy G.

2013 is one of the only examples where you are correct.

2012 we got Andrew Luck. (Russ Wilson, and Kirk came later) 

2011 Cam Newton #1 Andy Dalton #35

2010 we only got Sam Bradford. Maybe never lived up to the hype but mostly due to injury.

2009 Matt Stafford 

2008 Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan

2007 was another bust draft

So the last 12 drafts only 2 of them didn't produce a good NFL QB, but nearly all them were labeled as weak classes.

Kinda like when Gurley came out and you said you would rather wait for Zeke. Then Zeke came out and you said you'd rather wait for Fournette. It just seems like footballs future only likes next years prospects.

We have different view I guess on "stars". I see more misses than hits. 

Let's scratch the last 2 years. They all might be Dak.

2016 - Yes. 
2015  - Meh. Winston and Mariota haven't exactly been great imo. Pretty sure Titan fans think of MM like Dallas fans do DP.
2014 - Carr is the best of the 5 and appears to be trending down. 
2013 - Nobody.
2012 - Yes. 
2011 - Yes. 
2010 - Bradford, no. Serviceable guy, who inexplicably made a fortune. 
etc etc etc.

I don't know. It is what it is. I'm pretty indifferent to the idea that the trade is going to damage any immediate plans for a QB. Maybe that changes come March when we know who is available and draft status. 

As for the trade, I get the frustration. Dallas screwed Dallas on this and everyone knows it. They can't sugarcoat it. They can't make it go away. They said they didn't need a #1. They released Dez. They failed in big way. 

The player and compensation aren't the issue to me. It's a wash.  I'd have been satisfied with DJ Moore last season. Some wanted Ridley. Dallas was probably looking WR high next year. Given the typical production, they felt they could do better with Cooper. I'd agree with that. 

Next HC, OC and QB have their #1 WR in place.  I can live with that over assuming a QB is sitting there for Dallas when they pick. Either way, I don't think they have damaged those chances that much. They're going to have a high 2nd. Of the guys you listed above, looks like about 5 or 6 were available later.   

7 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

We have different view I guess on "stars". I see more misses than hits. 

Let's scratch the last 2 years. They all might be Dak.

2016 - Yes. 
2015  - Meh. Winston and Mariota haven't exactly been great imo. Pretty sure Titan fans think of MM like Dallas fans do DP.
2014 - Carr is the best of the 5 and appears to be trending down. 
2013 - Nobody.
2012 - Yes. 
2011 - Yes. 
2010 - Bradford, no. Serviceable guy, who inexplicably made a fortune. 
etc etc etc.

I don't know. It is what it is. I'm pretty indifferent to the idea that the trade is going to damage any immediate plans for a QB. Maybe that changes come March when we know who is available and draft status. 

As for the trade, I get the frustration. Dallas screwed Dallas on this on and everyone knows it. They can't sugarcoat it. They can't make it go away. They said they didn't need a #1. They released Dez. They failed in big way. 

The player and compensation aren't the issue to me. It's a wash.  I'd have been satisfied with DJ Moore last season. Some wanted Ridley. Dallas was probably looking WR high next year. Given the typical production, they felt they could do better with Cooper. I'd agree with that. 

Next HC, OC and QB have their #1 WR in place.  I can live with that over assuming a QB is sitting there for Dallas when they pick. Either way, I don't think they have damaged those chances that much. They're going to have a high 2nd. Of the guys you listed above, looks like about 5 or 6 were available later.   

I think the trade proves that Dallas isn't/wasn't/ even considering another QB outside Dak Prescott.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

I think the trade proves that Dallas isn't/wasn't/ even considering another QB outside Dak Prescott.

Probably. They do seem hell bent on him being the guy. I don't necessarily agree with the notion, but I'm tired of fighting it. If that's their case, then they need to fix their screw up and give Dak a #1. They got him one. Now sink or swim. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Probably. They do seem hell bent on him being the guy. I don't necessarily agree with the notion, but I'm tired of fighting it. If that's their case, then they need to fix their screw up and give Dak a #1. They got him one. Now sink or swim. 

An OC who utilizes his strengths would be great...can we trade for one of those?

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

And this is why I'm pretty neutral to the trade. If TB and Tyrod are the options, you're in no worse shape with Dak. If Herbert is the closest thing to can't miss, he's probably going #1 overall by default. Which in turn means Dallas has to have the #1 (which I they aren't that bad) or likely be prepared to give up a ransom to get it. which is a massive gamble in and of itself.

7 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

And this is why I'm pretty neutral to the trade. If TB and Tyrod are the options, you're in no worse shape with Dak. If Herbert is the closest thing to can't miss, he's probably going #1 overall by default. Which in turn means Dallas has to have the #1 (which I they aren't that bad) or likely be prepared to give up a ransom to get it. which is a massive gamble in and of itself.

Theres always Paxton Lynch........

Archived