Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Raiders trade WR Amari Cooper to Cowboys for a 2019 1st

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Gruden spent 8 years in TB where he at least had some influence on the draft. In 8 seasons, here are the only notable players he drafted:

Jeremy Trueblood 

Jeremy Zuttah

Davin Joseph

Aqib Talib

Four players in 8 drafts. Four. After watching the moves we've been making since Gruden came on board, it is clear to me that he will continue to have a huge say in everything, including the draft.  Needless to say, I have little confidence that we will get much worth out of any of our picks, including those three 1st-rounders.

He also didn't have a first or second rounder in his first 2 drafts. Then drafted Cadillac Williams who was the OROY then got hurt and ruined his career. Barett Rudd was a NFL starter for a good amount of seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

He also didn't have a first or second rounder in his first 2 drafts. Then drafted Cadillac Williams who was the OROY then got hurt and ruined his career. Barett Rudd was a NFL starter for a good amount of seasons.

Forgot about Ruud, he was good too. Williams? Sure he had injury issues but he had several full seasons where he was unimpressive. So add those two and it's a total of 6 memorable players in 8 drafts. 

It's not like I'd expect a Pro Bowler from each draft, but aside from 2005 (Cadillac, Ruud), 2006 (Joseph, Trueblood),  and 2008 (Talib, Zuttah) his drafts were completely forgettable. Reminds me of some of our Al Davis (maybe Davis + Gruden?) drafts. Now, two solid-good starters in three different drafts is not bad at all, but completely missing in the other five drafts? Couple that kind of record with a need to bring in aged, past-their-prime players and it worries me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Forgot about Ruud, he was good too. Williams? Sure he had injury issues but he had several full seasons where he was unimpressive. So add those two and it's a total of 6 memorable players in 8 drafts. 

It's not like I'd expect a Pro Bowler from each draft, but aside from 2005 (Cadillac, Ruud), 2006 (Joseph, Trueblood),  and 2008 (Talib, Zuttah) his drafts were completely forgettable. Reminds me of some of our Al Davis (maybe Davis + Gruden?) drafts. Now, two solid-good starters in three different drafts is not bad at all, but completely missing in the other five drafts? Couple that kind of record with a need to bring in aged, past-their-prime players and it worries me.

I noted this in another thread earlier in the week. Look at our draft and its similar to Al.

Kolton Miller, Brandon Parker, and PJ Hall - Raw, athletic kids who were considered a reach and based on potential.

Trade for Bryant and Arden Key - Gifted players with major off field concerns.

Mo Hurst and Nick Nelson - Solid talents with bigtime injury concerns

P Johnny Townsend - Overdrafted K/P

Almost seems like an Al draft imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a good trade in the grand scheme of things. This season has gone south quickly and Cooper isn't going to be the player he was drafted to be. The fact that the Raiders got a first round pick for him is probably the best outcome the Raiders could have hoped for considering his development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Forgot about Ruud, he was good too. Williams? Sure he had injury issues but he had several full seasons where he was unimpressive. So add those two and it's a total of 6 memorable players in 8 drafts. 

It's not like I'd expect a Pro Bowler from each draft, but aside from 2005 (Cadillac, Ruud), 2006 (Joseph, Trueblood),  and 2008 (Talib, Zuttah) his drafts were completely forgettable. Reminds me of some of our Al Davis (maybe Davis + Gruden?) drafts. Now, two solid-good starters in three different drafts is not bad at all, but completely missing in the other five drafts? Couple that kind of record with a need to bring in aged, past-their-prime players and it worries me.

So he didnt have a 1st or a 2nd in 2003 and 2004. He had decent drafts in 05 and 06. Gaines wasn't a bad player. But died after 3 years. Had a decent draft in 08. 

I in no means thinks hes a draft wiz. I dont like his drafting much either. Never hit a home run in my opinion. 

But it is not as bad as people make it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Gruden spent 8 years in TB where he at least had some influence on the draft. In 8 seasons, here are the only notable players he drafted:

Jeremy Trueblood 

Jeremy Zuttah

Davin Joseph

Aqib Talib

Four players in 8 drafts. Four. After watching the moves we've been making since Gruden came on board, it is clear to me that he will continue to have a huge say in everything, including the draft.  Needless to say, I have little confidence that we will get much worth out of any of our picks, including those three 1st-rounders.

Hopefully he was just getting the bad picks out of the way back then and now he will hit on an above average amount of the picks moving forward.  This is the rational I use when playing golf and is the only reason why I do not quit after 4-5 holes.  Unfortunately for me those first 4-5 holes are just an example of how bad my golf game is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

So he didnt have a 1st or a 2nd in 2003 and 2004. He had decent drafts in 05 and 06. Gaines wasn't a bad player. But died after 3 years. Had a decent draft in 08. 

I in no means thinks hes a draft wiz. I dont like his drafting much either. Never hit a home run in my opinion. 

But it is not as bad as people make it

Not to speak ill of the dead but Adams never remotely justified his 1st round selection. He was traded to the Bears before he tragically passed away and finished with just 13.5 sacks in 3 years.

Funny thing is, he was traded to Chicago in 2009 for a 2010 2nd(#42), Tampa then traded us #42 and a 5th to move up to #39, then we traded #42 to the Pats for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th. The Patriots selected Gronk at #42.

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×