Carson Wentz vs Patrick Mahomes

rocky_rams

Mahomes is going to runaway with this and it will hurt my soul to read, but it is to be expected, like you said he is the flashy new name after all. Wentz was the golden child last year, killing anyone in these sorts of threads... That's not to say Mahomes doesn't have a legit argument over Wentz, or that Wentz didn't have a legit argument over the QBs he was declared as superior to last season. 

They're similar QBs, both strong armed and mobile with that uncanny magician-like, pull a rabbit out of your head, ability to make plays out of nothing. Wentz has had more responsibilities and authority as a QB, which isn't inherently a positive, though it is to me. Of course he's also in year 3 as a starter as opposed to Mahomes in year 1. Don't see much separation when it comes to accuracy, though Mahomes' deep ball is much prettier, no two ways about that. Mahomes has the stronger arm, but Wentz's arm is still plenty strong and to a point where I don't think it matters all that much whose is stronger. Wentz had a serious knee injury and still plays pretty reckless, Mahomes has been healthy. Wentz will already be 26 at the end of the season while Mahomes will be just 23. Can see argument for Mahomes... but come on, is there any doubt I am rolling with Wentz going forward? No QB I'd rather have. Sure every Chiefs fan will say the same for Mahomes and every Rams fan the same for Goff. Let's be honest, Goff and Mahomes will have to significantly outplay Wentz over a decent period of time to overcome the unavoidable bias I will always have for Prince Carson of Wentzylvania.

Obviously Mahomes will win this because he is having an unheard of year, but let's look at Wentz's statistics from this season through five games:

Completion Percentage: 70.8%

Yards Per Attempt: 7.7 

Yards: 1,502 

TD/INT: 10:1

Passer Rating: 108.1 

That's fantastic numbers for any quarterback, especially when you consider his injury from last season.

It's hard to say which quarterback will fare better in the future as both are tremendously talented, although I think the consensus is that Mahomes has the far superior supporting cast... but that's not saying Jeffrey and Ertz aren't helpful to Wentz's success. It'll be nice when Philly gets a legitimate deep threat and a running back that capable of being a work horse. 

Personally I think Wentz will be better in 2 years and beyond.

But because of recency bias and the trend of NFL fans jumping from whatever player is on fire to the next, I imagine Mahomes will get more votes.

But I do just wanna throw out one stat I heard today via the Ringer.com which is that through all of this season, Mahomes has only completed one pass to a WR who didn't have more than a yard of separation. Yes. One. Insane how much of an advantage he has over everyone else due to the talent and scheming. 

*Note: not holding that against Mahomes. Just that I literally was listening to podcasts on theringer and heard the stat. I just think that's insane. 

21 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Ram's fans are so salty from last season.. You guys are better this season.. lets leave it at that.

Pretty sure it's literally just Rammy, in his own zany world I guess the Eagle stole the Rams rightful claim to SB 52 champs? I'm not sure. Let's not go and attack them all.

4 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

But I do just wanna throw out one stat I heard today via the Ringer.com which is that through all of this season, Mahomes has only completed one pass to a WR who didn't have more than a yard of separation.

I'm curious as to which pass this would be. This seems like a bad stat. I know the WR get open and Mahomes goes through his reads but I still find this hard to believe.

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm curious as to which pass this would be. This seems like a bad stat. I know the WR get open and Mahomes goes through his reads but I still find this hard to believe.

I believe it only because A) it's explicitly talking about WRs, and KC's WRs are all speedy separators and  B) Mahomes does have an NFL best/worst aggressive throw% at 10%, which measures throws to receivers where a defender is a yard or less from the receiver. So that's just 25 attempts, and who knows how many completions; they're probably all to Kelce.

48 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Pretty sure it's literally just Rammy, in his own zany world I guess the Eagle stole the Rams rightful claim to SB 52 champs? I'm not sure. Let's not go and attack them all.

Agreed and I’m not even salty lol 

just stating that that Mahomes is Wentz on steroids and no injury concern..

wentz is old af compared to the young Bucs.

Goff right now is the age Wentz was when he declared. Not to mention Patty’s contract is cheaper and has one more year on it compared to Wentz. 

Archived