Carson Wentz vs Patrick Mahomes

rocky_rams

On 10/22/2018 at 6:12 PM, El ramster said:

Agreed and I’m not even salty lol 

just stating that that Mahomes is Wentz on steroids and no injury concern..

wentz is old af compared to the young Bucs.

Goff right now is the age Wentz was when he declared. Not to mention Patty’s contract is cheaper and has one more year on it compared to Wentz. 

Mahomes is almost 3 years younger. That, along with him being on a cheaper contract longer and his recent play, makes it a fairly easy choice to go with him right now. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to be better long term, but you have to take into account the other factors. Wouldn’t fault anyone for going Wentz though. 

I think Mahomes and Wentz will be the best QB's in their conferences for the next decade. I'd take Mahomes over Wentz due to age and he seems to be the player that if you pick the best traits from some of the all time great QB's and put them in 1 QB you get Mahomes. He does everything at such a high level that it's almost unbelievable until you watch him. 

30 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Mahomes is on another level. Wentz doesn't compare... no one does. Honestly, Mahones might already be the #1 QB in the NFL, over Brady/Rodgers/Brees.

Woah now.  He's playing great, but we've seen insane rookie campaigns before.  Let's see him do it for another season or two before we crown him.  But he's definitely playing at an MVP level, and is the favorite right now.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Woah now.  He's playing great, but we've seen insane rookie campaigns before.  Let's see him do it for another season or two before we crown him.  But he's definitely playing at an MVP level, and is the favorite right now.

derek carr one had huge hype, watson last year looked like a savior, lets wait at least a full year. 

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

derek carr one had huge hype, watson last year looked like a savior, lets wait at least a full year. 

RG3 as well.   Wentz beasted last year, Dak beasted, the list goes on.  In every single case, the insane pace didn't last, and other than Wentz, I'm not sure any of them will ever even be good QBs.  Now I think Mahomes will, but let's wait and see what he does once adversity hits and his team around him gets crappier before we go around saying he's better than career HoFers.

1 hour ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Mahomes is on another level. Wentz doesn't compare... no one does. Honestly, Mahones might already be the #1 QB in the NFL, over Brady/Rodgers/Brees.

Mahomes is doing some crazy things, but he still has some flaws in his game that you don't see from that trio (tends to step out of the pocket instead of up into it, prone to overthrows on on intermediate passes, etc.) He can make up for those flaws on raw talent, especially when it comes to production, but those flaws are there. I'm pretty confident he'll get there, but not yet.

I think you pretty much can't go wrong with either of these QBs.

If I had to bet my life savings on who the best two QBs will be in 5 years, it'd be Wentz and Mahomes.

Mahomes is having a historic, insane year of course, but talent-wise, I don't see a noticeable difference at all between them. Mahomes (and this is NOT a criticism...just simply the truth) is on an offense that might be the most talented and explosive I've ever seen skill position-wise. And what makes them so unstoppable is the combination of these great players like Hunt, Hill, Kelce, etc and Mahomes at QB. His insane ability to throw on the run / outside of the pocket all but makes it impossible for a defense to cover all of KC's players downfield.

Unfortunately for Wentz, our offense around him has basically had the year from hell. We haven't had any of these guys all season so far: Mack Hollins, Mike Wallace, Darren Sproles....and then we had guys like Alshon, Clement, multiple OL, etc miss time....as well as of course the season ending  to Ajayi who was our best RB by far.  Add to that the fact that Carson tore his ACL 10 months ago, didn't play at all in the preseason, and had to step in in week 4 without any game action to get him ready for the season. And the remarkable thing is that in the 5 games he's played so far, he's only thrown 2 picks (one in the very beginning of his first game back, the other today on that dumb throw..but up until today's INT he had thrown over 200 consecutive passes without being picked off).

He just became the second player EVER alongside Peyton Manning to have four straight games with over 30 pass attempts while posting a 105 or better QB rating. 

Also, in the last three weeks, Wentz is 15-for-26 for 195 yards on 3rd-and-6-plus, converting on 50% of those situations. The guy is literally playing like a top 5 QB, and somehow is still flying under the radar

18 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

RG3 as well.   Wentz beasted last year, Dak beasted, the list goes on.  In every single case, the insane pace didn't last, and other than Wentz, I'm not sure any of them will ever even be good QBs.  Now I think Mahomes will, but let's wait and see what he does once adversity hits and his team around him gets crappier before we go around saying he's better than career HoFers.

All those guys werent on the same level though 

Carr needed the best OL in the league to protect him. Once his first read was gone hed panic. He had the quickest snap to throw time in the league for a reason.

Watson ran a lot and threw mostly jumpballs in garbage time. His record was poor as a starter last year.

RG3 was a runner enabled by Shanahan then broken by Shanahan. Injuries can derail anybody.

Wentz i think is still getting over that ACL. 

Dak is a game manager. He doesnt have enough talent on the outside but hes like Alex Smith. Give him the running game and a great OL and he'll coast you to victory.

Mahomes is on a historic pace. 26 passing tds in 8 games. All his weapons on the outside are sticking around for at least another year. The OL is pretty good even with backups in there. 

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

Carr needed the best OL in the league to protect him. Once his first read was gone hed panic. He had the quickest snap to throw time in the league for a reason.

Watson ran a lot and threw mostly jumpballs in garbage time. His record was poor as a starter last year.

RG3 was a runner enabled by Shanahan then broken by Shanahan. Injuries can derail anybody.

Dak is a game manager. He doesnt have enough talent on the outside but hes like Alex Smith. Give him the running game and a great OL and he'll coast you to victory.

Mahomes is on a historic pace. 26 passing tds in 8 games. All his weapons on the outside are sticking around for at least another year. The OL is pretty good even with backups in there. 

Yes, Mahomes is playing great, that's not in question.  His offense is also stacked.  All I'm saying is, let's not crown him as being better than career HoFers based on a half season.  I'd be the same way with anybody not just Mahomes.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's the clear cut best in the league in a few years, but  I just want him to prove it for an extended period of time first.

I said I think both he and Wentz will be elite QBs going forward.

19 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Mahomes is doing some crazy things, but he still has some flaws in his game that you don't see from that trio (tends to step out of the pocket instead of up into it, prone to overthrows on on intermediate passes, etc.) He can make up for those flaws on raw talent, especially when it comes to production, but those flaws are there. I'm pretty confident he'll get there, but not yet.

He has kelce, hill, watkins, and hunt with Andy Reid calling plays. The OL is playing well. They'll put up big numbers flaws or not. That's all most fans see. Nuances of qb play don't matter to many. Just raw numbers.

47 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

This is an embarrassingly bad take. Having a quick snap to throw helps your OL, not the other way around. 

First read gone and he panics? Again, another embarrassingly bad and shallow take. 

Maybe it's hard to understand quarterback play when your coach is an offensive genius and your team has the best supporting cast in the NFL.

Archived