Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

All depends on their ages and the agenda you create.

The agenda was created to see Mount St. Helen and Crater Lake, for the 8 year old budding volcanologist, and the ports of Seattle, Portland and San Francisco for the 14 year old who wants to study nautical engineering. We planned for months, including them in every decision. They then proceeded to act as if they were being brought along at gunpoint. 

The hope is that they eventually look back on it as a more positive experience than they let on. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

The agenda was created to see Mount St. Helen and Crater Lake, for the 8 year old budding volcanologist, and the ports of Seattle, Portland and San Francisco for the 14 year old who wants to study nautical engineering. We planned for months, including them in every decision. They then proceeded to act as if they were being brought along at gunpoint. 

The hope is that they eventually look back on it as a more positive experience than they let on. 

I’m just glad you get to have the same experience as I do when traveling with the kids.

I’m Clark Griswold at this point.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

You should have taken me. I certainly would have enjoyed that trip.

Good approach based on what you knew but I always found that presenting them with a blank slate and asking them what they might want to do up front and planning the vacation accordingly lead to better trip satisfaction.

I learned this when I once planned a trip for my first two kids to Colorado to hike, climb mountains and camp out. The older (daughter - 9 YOA at the time) asked: Dad, will there be wild animals? And I, thinking she was getting into it said: Yes.

Her reply was: Dad, my idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn.

So I asked them where they wanted to go and what they wanted to do there?

We ended up going to Boston, staying at the Marriott Boston Harbor instead, doing all the historical stuff and loving Faneuil Hall and the North End.

So it goes.

Just learned that my baby girl (22) is engaged.

Know the guy well.

They have lived together for 3 years, now in Bellingham, WA but for a year before that in the condo I use as an office.

I gave him the Dad speech ("This is my baby and I expect that you will take as good or better care of her than I would") with the implication in my tone of voice that otherwise I will kill you.

He gave the right response: Yes, sir.

They are a good couple. They support each other and make each other better. Couldn't be happier.

2.5 down, 3.5 to go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Fitting. 

Saw my first syringe on the ground within two minutes of exiting the car downtown. Had to huddle up the kids and have a quick talk about heroin and homelessness before proceeding. 

Not an ideal way to start a road trip, but at least the kids know what happens when you shoot up because they literally got to see a man shoot up. On the sidewalk. At noon.

Too real, Seattle. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Saw my first syringe on the ground within two minutes of exiting the car downtown. Had to huddle up the kids and have a quick talk about heroin and homelessness before proceeding. 

Not an ideal way to start a road trip, but at least the kids know what happens when you shoot up because they literally got to see a man shoot up. On the sidewalk. At noon.

Too real, Seattle. 

Yeah it’s a different world.  Dudes passed out, weed smoke everywhere.

It’s..... different.

9 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Not an ideal way to start a road trip, but at least the kids know what happens when you shoot up because they literally got to see a man shoot up. On the sidewalk. At noon.,

Too real, Seattle. 

My youngest (boy) and I went for a bachelor party for his uncle, my brother in law, in Detroit years ago.

We stayed downtown across from the GM building and went out on a Sunday morning for breakfast.

Got about 2 blocks into the heart of the city, saw parking lots covered with broken glass from beer and wine bottles and a black guy approached us and told us he would keep us safe.

He guided us to a Greek place that was exceptional.

All he wanted in return was a bottle of water from a street vendor.

I bought him two.

Gave my boy a glimpse of "the city" for which I was glad.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, ditchdigger said:

I'm not a parent, and won't be for a few more years (hopefully), but I worry about how the hell I'm gonna be able to teach my kids the value of Gratitude. 

Edited by MistaBohmbastic

On 6/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, ditchdigger said:

Just getting back to reality after a 10 day road trip with the wife and kids. Flew into Seattle, drove to San Francisco, then flew back from there. 

I highly recommend leaving your kids at home for vacation. They appreciate nothing.

I love my three, but I’d rather have an annual vasectomy than have another kid.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 1:52 AM, ditchdigger said:

One handy tip is to not let them take along ipads, phones, or anything else that makes them act like little wankers.

It doesn't matter what the occasion is, if our children can play Roblox, or rather watch some **** play Roblox, they will invariably want to do that instead.

• Like 3