Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Why special teams suck/matter

or

How the only team to ever rank #1 in both offense and defense missed the playoffs 

Enjoy, fellow football nerds

Yeah some folks dismiss ST far too quickly, and I suppose some overvalue them.

Me?  I think you need consistency.  ST may not win you many games, but it sure as hell can lose you games quickly.

I don’t need a kicker to nail them from 55+, just be automatic inside of 45/PAT’s.

Don’t need a punter with an enormous leg, just a guy who doesn’t outkick his coverage and can place the ball where he wants it.

I’d love a guy who can score anytime they return a punt, but I’d settle for a guy who has sure hands, doesn’t lose yardages and makes good decisions as to when to field/let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening gents,

I wanted to take a moment and toss out something to get your input on this situation.  It is something that absolutely irked me.

As you can see from my sig at the bottom, over the last 4 years, I've become a huge fan of Australian Rules Football.  (If you're not a baseball fan, it is a great distraction waiting for the NFL/NCAA season to start, with their championship happening at the end of September.)

The club I'm supporting (Geelong Cats) finished at the top of the competition this year.  In the AFL, the top 4 teams get a double chance in the finals (1/4, 2/3 play)  5-8 play an elimination game (5/8, 6/7).  You can see it below.  

Image result for afl 2019 grand finals bracket

Here is the thing that as an American sports fan I've not been able to wrap my head around.  Geelong is a fairly small city about 90 minutes outside of Melbourne.  Their home grounds seat about 40K.  Their opponents play at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds, which seats 100K.  Since Geelong's capacity is so small, the league decided to allow them to play their "home" game at their opponents field.  They had 92K in the seats today, and the #4 team had about 70K of those fans.....ostensibly drowning out the 20+K that made the trek to the game.  

Can you imagine if the Browns win the AFC North, and the Steelers get the Wild card.   (Now in reality, I know the difference in capacity of their two stadiums is negligible.)  Suppose Heinz seated 20K more.  Could you imagine the outrage if the NFL decided, that in order to garner more revenue, the Browns would play their "home" playoff game in Pittsburgh?  I think Browns fans would go to NYC and burn down the NFL's headquarters.  It is absolutely stupifying.  

Am I nuts for thinking this is totally unfair?  

Now, of course, if Geelong didn't play a crap first quarter, they might have won anyways, and not have to win 3 more times to get the premiership (which I don't think will happen.)

• 4 weeks later...

Getting increasingly annoyed by people who do not understand that "best, greatest, worst, etc." are singularities.

There can't be "one of the greatest".

Also annoyed by people who do not seem to understand that there is a big difference between fractured and broken bones.

Whoof!

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Uh, yeah, this isn’t correct.  Like, at all.

They’re one and the same, the words are interchangeable

I have had both too many times.

A broken bone is exactly what the word "broken" means. The bone has to be set back in place for alignment and protected with a cast; a fractured bone might not even require a cast depending upon the nature of the fracture (e.g., single surface crack vs. spiral crack)

Broken bones take longer to heal, too.

If the words are interchangeable then that's just lazy and imprecise parlance in the medical professions.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

A broken bone is exactly what the word "broken" means. The bone has to be set back in place for alignment and protected with a cast; a fractured bone might not even require a cast depending upon the nature of the fracture (e.g., single surface crack vs. spiral crack)

If the words are interchangeable then that's just lazy and imprecise parlance in the medical professions.

Well by definition fracture means cracked or broken.

WebMD says:

What Are Fractures?

A fracture is the medical term for a broken bone.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

Well by definition fracture means cracked or broken.

WebMD says:

What Are Fractures?

A fracture is the medical term for a broken bone.

See previous post.

Have had 4 fractures of my left ankle which I simply taped up and kept playing on.

It was a way different story when I broke my left clavicle and my left arm was hanging down to my knee.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Ok bruce, just let the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons know then.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/fractures-broken-bones/

Make sure to include your anecdotal experience too, that’ll definitely get their attention.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Medical professional don’t typically say “broken” when speaking to one another, it’s a fracture.  

We say “broken” to the idiots who would likely get confused by the word “fracture”.

Sounds like a few of your doctors overestimated you.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Make sure to include your anecdotal experience too, that’ll definitely get their attention.

Not a bad idea.

There is a pretty graphic difference.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We say “broken” to the idiots who would likely get confused by the word “fracture”.

Maybe you should learn to be more precise, but then again precision - or even correctness, for that matter - are not exactly hallmarks of the medical professions.