Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

On 2/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, MWil23 said:

Teaching/Coaching in an affluent middle to upper middle class district (as you know) many of our teachers/kids don't realize it (albeit 12-16% still do). Some of the stupid stuff people complain about infuriates me. If a kid is hungry/thirsty, then I let them eat or drink in my class as long as they throw their stuff away. I currently have a kid in class who spent all of last week at a homeless shelter, and I'm just trying to get her to graduate. I'm sorry that your students are like 15 seconds to your class and roll their eyes occasionally...10 years ago I had to make a CPS call about a mom using her 13 year old as a drug mule.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this post.  I'm in my 26th year of teaching.  DON'T DO THE MATH!  You'll be wrong as I was in the military and on the Delta House college plan. 

I've had so many kids in class that I know are having serious issues outside of the classroom, and far too often there is little to no communication about the circumstances that kids are facing.  With regards to food in the classroom, I have no problem with it at all.  Every week or two, I make a trek to Big Lots or Ollies and load up on granola bars, poptarts, Cliff bars, pretzels, cheese curls (usually from the 1/2 off section....scored 6 boxes of Cliff bars last week for $18.  I do read through our data on powerschool regarding food allergies with my kids, but I'm not shy about making sure they've got something to snack on if needed.  

I do tell them a true story about my summer job that I had for 15 years.  I taught summer school government, and it was a great gig.  6 weeks, you had the kids 4 hours a day, and they paid you for an extra planning hour.  (Different district)  Each hour the kids had a 10 minute break to stretch their legs.  They were supposed to stay in the building, but inevitably they'd sprint across the street to McDonalds, BK, or next door to the Mickey Mart.  After one break, I heard the teacher in the next room YELL, "What in the hell do you think you're doing?"  It piqued my curiosity.  I poked my head in the door, and one of her kids had run to the grocery next door, and had gone to the deli and bought a whole roasted chicken.  She kicked him out of class, so he sat in the hallway for an hour smashing a chicken.  (not a euphemism).  

So, I tell my kids, I don't mind what you bring in to snack on, but if it has bones, or requires a knife and fork, or more than 3 wetnaps, then we need to not bring it into class.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The swagger open casket funeral is the worst thing I’ve seen in my days as a Browns fan. The owners should be absolutely embarrassed for being such publicity seeking losers.

I would have been fine with a funeral service or a sweet tribute, but Jesus man.

THE DOG HAS BEEN DEAD FOR 2 WEEKS AND THEY'RE HAVING A OPEN CASKET SERVICE.

They knew the poor thing had cancer so it’s not like they were caught off guard by this potentially happening.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The swagger open casket funeral is the worst thing I’ve seen in my days as a Browns fan. The owners should be absolutely embarrassed for being such publicity seeking losers.

I think they were just trying to be respectful. It was cringy but aren't all open caskets cringy? I think so.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, bruceb said:

Bizarre but the same land previously had a house that I watched a swat team supported by federal agents bust because it was a meth lab not long ago before it was razed for the condo structure.

Do not think I would invest in that land.

I’m just happy joes was safe

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 7:44 PM, bruceb said:

Just had the opportunity to watch a multi-million dollar condo structure about .2 miles from my house across I-90 go completely and at times explosively go up in flames.

I could see the smoke from that fire from my place. Highway was shut down around that area.

Closing in on 1600 downloads for my podcast in less than 2 months.  (Also hit 1,000 downloads from Australia today.)  I am absolutely stunned.  I am so thrilled that people have decided to spend some of their precious time to listen to my show.  This week's episode tied in how David Stern actually helped to save the sport in the mid 1980's.  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I could see the smoke from that fire from my place. Highway was shut down around that area.

It was intense.

Only worse I ever have seen was a Forest City lumber store on the SE corner of Lorain and W. 150th.

All I know for sure is that I was < 11.

I couldn't get within 1,000 ft. of it because of the heat.

• Like 1