Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well the virus was foreign to us at the first stages and we would have had to rely on China and their research to create testing kits for this specific strain

That’s the issue, it was China. They tried hiding all the information from the get go. By the time it was made public and informed other nations, I believe it was already a little too late. If China acted appropriately, they would have been the worst country hit by it potentially. 

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well the virus was foreign to us at the first stages and we would have had to rely on China and their research to create testing kits for this specific strain.

We turned down testing kits from the WHO in favor of making our own... and now are testing at an absurdly low rate due to lack of test kits.

The medical equipment available is the medical equipment available I don't know if they even could demand companies to oversupply their products at the risk of loss. I guess the Government could have made the purchase but I imagine the production time for a lot of the equipment is time consuming and I imagine a lot of it is produced in the country that was hit first and that they would probably have other priorities than us preparing for what they were currently dealing with. Just a guess though because everything seems to be made in China.

I mean, that’s what we’re doing now, not sure why it couldn’t have been initiated sooner...

Yes, we could have been more prepared and we probably will be next time (no matter which party is in office) and if we aren't then shame on us because now we have seen this and know what the demands may be.

Very true.  Both government and citizens alike.

Deep freeze, months of tp/paper towels, stocked pantry, etc.  I did ok this time, but I was lucky in a lot of ways.  I won’t leave those things to chance again.

Let’s just hope people learn the lessons.

26 minutes ago, buno67 said:

That’s the issue, it was China. They tried hiding all the information from the get go. By the time it was made public and informed other nations, I believe it was already a little too late. If China acted appropriately, they would have been the worst country hit by it potentially. 

Our government can’t control China, but they can control our response, which is what we’re discussing.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We turned down testing kits from the WHO in favor of making our own... and now are testing at an absurdly low rate due to lack of test kits.

I mean, that’s what we’re doing now, not sure why it couldn’t have been initiated sooner...

Very true.  Both government and citizens alike.

Deep freeze, months of tp/paper towels, stocked pantry, etc.  I did ok this time, but I was lucky in a lot of ways.  I won’t leave those things to chance again.

Let’s just hope people learn the lessons.

Snopes says we didn't turn down the test kits because the test kits were never offered.

My wife always likes to have extra of most things so we were okay too. I did run out and get some stuff for elderly in-laws at least what was available. I think Tylenol (or generic) is one of the more important things to make sure you have to treat your fever in case you or multiple people in your family get ill. Yeah we all want to make sure we have TP and PT but those aren't really essentials, you can survive without it. Food is important and I'm sure we have enough to keep us going a month or more but they will restock shelves I don't think everyone needs to try to stock up long term it just creates panic. The elderly (and those at high risk) are the only ones in my opinion that should be stocking up for a potential extended stay at home the rest of us can still go shopping once a week and get what we need. Those that are used to eating at restaurants every day may need to fill their cupboards and freezers a little more but this isn't the black plague for youngish healthy people just be smart with what you touch and how close you come in contact with people.

If food does become scarce I'm just going to steal a cow.

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Snopes says we didn't turn down the test kits because the test kits were never offered.

They “chose not to use them”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/us-coronavirus-test/ 

My wife always likes to have extra of most things so we were okay too. I did run out and get some stuff for elderly in-laws at least what was available. I think Tylenol (or generic) is one of the more important things to make sure you have to treat your fever in case you or multiple people in your family get ill. Yeah we all want to make sure we have TP and PT but those aren't really essentials, you can survive without it. Food is important and I'm sure we have enough to keep us going a month or more but they will restock shelves I don't think everyone needs to try to stock up long term it just creates panic. The elderly (and those at high risk) are the only ones in my opinion that should be stocking up for a potential extended stay at home the rest of us can still go shopping once a week and get what we need. Those that are used to eating at restaurants every day may need to fill their cupboards and freezers a little more but this isn't the black plague for youngish healthy people just be smart with what you touch and how close you come in contact with people.

If food does become scarce I'm just going to steal a cow.

I’ll help steal the cow.  We’ll make a day out of it.

• Like 2

There's no doubt in my mind that Trump has fumbled everything since being President.

The latest Michael Lewis book highlights most of it very well, including stuff about the Pandemic department and the CDC.

Nothing but money is important to people like him, whatever colour they wear.

You watch, large numbers of dollars that we all think are intended to help EVERYONE will end up at Goldmans.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They “chose not to use them”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/us-coronavirus-test/ 

I’ll help steal the cow.  We’ll make a day out of it.

Im pretty sure that was and FDA reason.

don't think any of the "offered tests" were FDA approved.

It isnt like we said "No we don't want your foreign aide"

I really don't like to be threatened, it is so annoying. A lot of us are friends here and only here and to be told that someone is going to take away that friendship in a time like this where some of us are at risk for serious illness over a civilized discussion that isn't about what I have to believe was the spirit of the rule (back and forth between each party) really seems unnecessary.

Do what you must. Maybe I've outgrown a moderated forum (this is the only forum I use). Just know that I do care for y'all whether you are the brother I argue with all of the time or a partner in humorous crime.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I really don't like to be threatened, it is so annoying. A lot of us are friends here and only here and to be told that someone is going to take away that friendship in a time like this where some of us are at risk for serious illness over a civilized discussion that isn't about what I have to believe was the spirit of the rule (back and forth between each party) really seems unnecessary.

Do what you must. Maybe I've outgrown a moderated forum (this is the only forum I use). Just know that I do care for y'all whether you are the brother I argue with all of the time or a partner in humorous crime.

Yeah, seems rather pointless to shut down a polite discussion amongst friends on a discussion board.

Especially when Gen and the basketball forum exist...

Whatever though....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Oh yeah, the love I feel for your country, but you lot in particular, is very real.

I hope something swings in our favour to save people from the things that are currently against us.

Btw, this is a real fine website you have here Webby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webmaster said:

Drop the political discussion now.  If it continues, I'll be forced to lock this topic and give out warnings and bans.  

I 100% understand not wanting political discussion. It usually ends with people bad mouthing each other. People bad mouthing results in bans.

However, I feel you are slightly overreacting.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It would be cool if there was a private forum where you only had access if you had been here for 5 years, and 2k posts, where standard forum rules dodnt apply. 

Like a gentlemens club. 

You mean with strippers? I'm in. I say we make it 5000 posts though... no specific reason :D

• Like 2