Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Philosphically, I question whether application of general forum rules to an O.T Thread makes sense.

I mean, there is no topic to stray from in an O.T. Thread.

It is, or should be, a free zone.

Maybe a rule like: If you need or want to engage in detailed and prolonged discourse with someone, message each other, regardless of topic?

5 hours ago, Webmaster said:

I agree.  I should have been a little nicer in my request to stop the political talk.    However, I'm getting tired of chasing down all the political talk in the coronavirus discussions on the forum.   I don't want to stop members from sharing information and supporting each other during this crisis, but the forum rules still apply.  

I mean, they’re YOUR rules..... if it’s become such a problem to have to keep them in check, it seems like this might be a topic worth allowing people to discuss?

It’a not like there needs to be a new set of posting guideline, if you’re a jerk, give warnings and ban away.

Also, I don't read every post on the forum and I was not even aware of the political talk in this topic until it was reported to me by a Browns fan.  So while a handful of you are OK with the discussion there are other Browns members who do not want to read it.  So, I need to do my job and enforce the rules.

So change YOUR rules.  I mean, if people want JUST sports, there’s hundreds of threads for that.  This is ONE thread in a subforum.

This just reeks of “but the advertisers” (despite seeing political ads on this forum frequently btw).

On top of that, it’s not “just sports”, we discuss nearly every topic but politics.

Finally, if anyone has more questions or comments about forum administration or rules, please send me a PM.  

I have before, but this isn’t really a private issue if you’ve had to “chase down” people in a bunch of threads.  I’m not sure why there can’t be a group discussion if this involves a group of posters?

We’re facing a once in a lifetime situation and the response is “discuss sports and stuff”.

If you want to tell us to “pound sand, this forum isn’t about serving the end user and what they want but rather my checkbook” just do so publicly and get it over with.

21 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

1. Do your own research. You seem like the kind of horse that only drinks water you find on your own. There are numerous scientific organizations working on modeling. Find one. They are out there.

You are skirting the issue of the abject lack of data on which to build models. 

2. Nothing we are doing is intended to stop it. It is only intended to slow the rate of spreading to avoid overwhelming the hospitals in this country. Hospital beds, ICU rooms, respirators, etc. are far fewer than the number of people who will become sick without mitigation. Flattening the curve just means expanding the timeline, not eliminating transmission. 

That's part of my point. 

Expanding the timeline simply amplifies the pain.

The number of people who will become sick from this or something else is dwarfed by the number of people who will be financially devestated by this course of action.

3. There is no way to control a pandemic, that is true. Does that mean you do nothing? Just accept that millions of Americans will die and go on about your business? That's about as sociopathic as it gets.

I can say the same about making tens of millions of Americans financial collateral damage for the sake of those millions.

If it's as bad as you think, those millions are going to die anyway, just over a longer period of time.

So why subject tens of millions who otherwise will survive to a much lower quality of economic life and protacted stress and strain?

Edited by bruceb
Related thought

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’a not like there needs to be a new set of posting guideline, if you’re a jerk, give warnings and ban away.

With politics it is never that easy and why we have always banned political talk.   Conservatives will think you are being a "jerk" if you bash Trump.   Liberals will call you a "jerk" if you support Trump.  Moderates just think both sides are being a "jerks" and don't want to hear the same tired bickering over and over again.    How am I supposed to moderate that?  

We’re facing a once in a lifetime situation and the response is “discuss sports and stuff”.

No that isn't my response.   I have allowed coronavirus topics to go on far longer than any other controversial topic that becomes political.   I'm still allowing them.  I'm just telling people I don't want to hear the political arguments.   I don't want to have to police the political garbage.   I'm allowing the coronavirus talk because it is important and trying my best to keep the political bickering from drowning all the helpful, informative, supportive information.  

if you want to tell us to “pound sand, this forum isn’t about serving the end user and what they want but rather my checkbook” just do so publicly and get it over with.

This forum makes very little money in the best of times...  now the advertising doesn't even support the cost to run it.  Not sure if you are aware, but there isn't much demand to advertise  for goods and services when everyone is locked in their homes.   I'm not doing this job for any money right now.   But sure, paint me as the evil money hungry webmaster who enforces the rules because he just wants you to be miserable.  

• Like 3