Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

3 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

With politics it is never that easy and why we have always banned political talk.   Conservatives will think you are being a "jerk" if you bash Trump.   Liberals will call you a "jerk" if you support Trump.  Moderates just think both sides are being a "jerks" and don't want to hear the same tired bickering over and over again.    How am I supposed to moderate that?  

How is that conversation different that the 100 others throughout the forum that get replayed over and over again?

moderation is part of it.  In this forum, again, no offense to anyone, but @zelbell barely posts and @freakygeniuskid isn’t one to drop banhammers, we more or less self moderate.  I mean, it’s the same dudes who’ve been here consistently for a decade. A random pops up every once and a while and they move on or get banned and reincarnate like 9 times.  *pours one out for the homies*

No that isn't my response.   I have allowed coronavirus topics to go on far longer than any other controversial topic that becomes political.   I'm still allowing them.  I'm just telling people I don't want to hear the political arguments.   I don't want to have to police the political garbage.   I'm allowing the coronavirus talk because it is important and trying my best to keep the political bickering from drowning all the helpful, informative, supportive information.  

you have, for sure.  But the conversation that you shut down in this thread today was pleasant and congenial.  Nothing but good discussion tbh. No garbage, talking about the virus and the response and trying to discuss context, which is important, supportive, informative info.

I’ve been chatting with @Thomas5737 for god knows how long and other than living in WV and liking Baker too much, he’s wonderful. 

This forum makes very little money in the best of times...  now the advertising doesn't even support the cost to run it.  Not sure if you are aware, but there isn't much demand to advertise  for goods and services when everyone is locked in their homes.   I'm not doing this job for any money right now.   But sure, paint me as the evil money hungry webmaster who enforces the rules because he just wants you to be miserable.  

I’m not trying to paint you as anything, you’ve always been decent to me.  I’m just not sure what the motivation would be other this money if so many of your “regulars” seem to want to discuss it?

If were talking “regulars”, many of us started here 10-15 years ago.  Many were early 20’s or younger then. We’re not a bunch of kids anymore, our interests have adapted and it feels like instead of modifying the forum to accommodate the desires of many, there’s just a stubbornness not to.  If it’s not money, what?  If there’s room for soccer or the Falcons to have their own forum, why not politics? It would blow the doors off half the subforums here as far as popularity.  That’s the goal from your end, right?