Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

16 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

To any of my fellow teachers out there.......this sucks.  Chasing kids down to do their work is a challenge.

My wife read me a funny quote she saw on Facebook.  "All you parents are realizing it wasn't the teachers' fault after all"

LOL

All of that is true. Our administration district wide is meeting to figure out how to do Quarter 4 grades. Tracking kids down, emailing, documenting, etc...it's all frustrating. I miss not being in the classroom with my students, the weight room with my football kids, going and watching my kids play baseball, etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Jack Dorsey is donating 1 billion to fight the coronavirus outbreak.

Holy shiz. That’s gotta be a record.

Think it said that is around 25% of his wealth.

Edit

actually he said he will donate $1b worth in equity. Which the sum would be around 28% of his worth.   He also stated After the pandemic, the focus will shift to girl’s health and education, and UBI. It will operate transparently, every thing done with the money will be tracked on a open public google document so anyone and everyone can see it

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

All of that is true. Our administration district wide is meeting to figure out how to do Quarter 4 grades. Tracking kids down, emailing, documenting, etc...it's all frustrating. I miss not being in the classroom with my students, the weight room with my football kids, going and watching my kids play baseball, etc. 

I'm in my 26th year.  I've offically adopted the philosophy of "You can lead a horse to water...but you cannot hold their head under."

I'm working to get my AP kids ready for their exam (fortunately I've only got 5 kids in my AP class, and they're hard workers.)  My 5 government classes have a HUGE community project that they due during the 2nd semester, and it occupies the bulk of the 4th quarter.  They have to identify an issue in the community (could be school, township, city, county or statewide), and then create an action plan to resolve the issue.  It is basically their 4th quarter grade, and their final exam.  On exam day, I have guests from all over the community come in to watch their presentations, and provide feedback.  The government teacher next door, had a group 5 years ago that got a $1 million dollar grant to install the sidewalks along Rt. 250 here in Perkins Township (Sandusky).  They start just north of Kalahari, and make their way all the way to the border between Perkins Township and the city of Sandusky.  If you've ever come to my fair city to partake in our wonderful roller coasters, chances are you've traveled past those very sidewalks.  

Some of my kids are "revolting" against doing the project, since they won't likely be able to present as normal, in front of a group.  I sent them a video today, telling them that the project will go on as planned, and that they will likely be presenting via "google meet", if we're not back in school.  I also told them that if we weren't doing the project, they'd be just as displeased with the "busy work" that they would likely end up being assigned in lieu of the project.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

We are two weeks into a significant lockdown and our case numbers are dropping. It is encouraging, but it is not over yet, once we open back up it will be interesting to see what happens. 

Im luke warm on our prime minister, but she is doing a great job.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I'm in my 26th year.  I've offically adopted the philosophy of "You can lead a horse to water...but you cannot hold their head under."

I'm working to get my AP kids ready for their exam (fortunately I've only got 5 kids in my AP class, and they're hard workers.)  My 5 government classes have a HUGE community project that they due during the 2nd semester, and it occupies the bulk of the 4th quarter.  They have to identify an issue in the community (could be school, township, city, county or statewide), and then create an action plan to resolve the issue.  It is basically their 4th quarter grade, and their final exam.  On exam day, I have guests from all over the community come in to watch their presentations, and provide feedback.  The government teacher next door, had a group 5 years ago that got a $1 million dollar grant to install the sidewalks along Rt. 250 here in Perkins Township (Sandusky).  They start just north of Kalahari, and make their way all the way to the border between Perkins Township and the city of Sandusky.  If you've ever come to my fair city to partake in our wonderful roller coasters, chances are you've traveled past those very sidewalks.  

Some of my kids are "revolting" against doing the project, since they won't likely be able to present as normal, in front of a group.  I sent them a video today, telling them that the project will go on as planned, and that they will likely be presenting via "google meet", if we're not back in school.  I also told them that if we weren't doing the project, they'd be just as displeased with the "busy work" that they would likely end up being assigned in lieu of the project.  

I wish I could tell my boss that I don't want to give this big presentation in 2 weeks because it's all remote now...if anything helping them push through and give a good remote presentation (it's very different and there's some great strageies to make it go well) is going to really help them in the modern workplace.  Even before we all went remote every in person presentation I would give 10-20% of the audience would be virtual.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

My heart goes out to the first responders just doing their jobs that have caught Covid-19. 

I’ve read articles that cops are not pulling people over for speeding because it’s just not worth it.

Time to see what my Mitsubishi Mirage can do. 

• Like 5

Finished my interview last night, with the first American woman to play Australian Rules Football at the highest level in Australia. 

What a terrifically nice young lady.  I'll share a link when it is released.*  

* Warning:  Consider yourself warned.  If you listen to this with your significant other, and you are not married (and plan on doing so), at the end of the episode, you'll learn about just how much you're going to have to step up your proposal game.  

If you listen to this with your significant other, and you ARE married, and unless you can top her proposal, you're going to learn a new look of disappointment on your wife's face.  (I don't have to worry about that since my wife doesn't listen to my podcast.)  :) 

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Finished my interview last night, with the first American woman to play Australian Rules Football at the highest level in Australia. 

What a terrifically nice young lady.  I'll share a link when it is released.*  

* Warning:  Consider yourself warned.  If you listen to this with your significant other, and you are not married (and plan on doing so), at the end of the episode, you'll learn about just how much you're going to have to step up your proposal game.  

If you listen to this with your significant other, and you ARE married, and unless you can top her proposal, you're going to learn a new look of disappointment on your wife's face.  (I don't have to worry about that since my wife doesn't listen to my podcast.)  :) 

Here is a link to the podcast, in case anyone is interested.  Terrific young lady, who has made a HUGE change in her life over the last year.  https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-fb4dy-d8eb45