Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

20 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Eliminating the galleries is not exactly like emptying football stadia.

Still good stuff for TV.

It's pretty sad that I would love to watch golf on TV right now but here we are.  They could even just pipe in some cheers on the broadcast when someone does something good and it would be 80% the same

Just now, bruceb said:

There are no data to prove a cause and effect between the measures that were put in place and the results.

Data that would prove it would have to come after the fact.  There isn’t hard, factual data ahead of the time bruce.  I didn’t think this would need to be explained.

The data that proves it was effective are the exact numbers you’re quoting. You can’t possibly be this dense.

Just now, bruceb said:

An order or orders of magnitude miss is/are sensational.

It was a projection based on data at the time, I’m not sure what’s difficult to understand.

Like I said weeks ago, with some folks (you) it was a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.  If nobody does anything and people die en mass, there will be somebody else to blame (not “your group”, and you know what I mean) and if the measures do work you’ll think it was a hoax (or in this case sensationalism).

You’ve stated thus far you’re an antivaxer who doesn’t believe in meds because your body can heal itself, who also believes you can’t get off meds after starting them (despite doing so yourself) and this whole thing was just like the flu. Normally it wouldn’t waste my time with such a person, but in this situation my only concern is someone may read your nonsense and think there’s a shred of validity to it.

You’re literally the embodiment of terrible Facebook memes aimed at boomers who think feelings are facts and have zero credibility with anything health or healthcare related.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The data that proves it was effective are the exact numbers you’re quoting.

You obviously missed the cause component of the cause and effect proof.

Show me the data.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Normally it wouldn’t waste my time with such a person, but in this situation my only concern is someone may read your nonsense and think there’s a shred of validity to it.

And mine as well re you.

You accused me of some mental disorder, the name of which I do not recall, that fits you like a glove.

What's the problem if it makes sense to them?

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like I said weeks ago, with some folks (you) it was a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.  If nobody does anything and people die en mass, there will be somebody else to blame (not “your group”, and you know what I mean) and if the measures do work you’ll think it was a hoax (or in this case sensationalism).

There is growing evidence that the projected infection/death rates were badly exaggerated, in OH and nationally.

The revised projections are the proof of that.

There is no way to prove that the "measures" worked to prevent people dying en masse.

And certainly no way to prove that the economic impact on tens of millions of Americans that the "measures", bases in part on exaggerations of the risk, cost is worth the price.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Iirc I was assailed for calling Acton's orginal projections of 100-200K sensational.

Well, here's where we are: https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/april-18-coronavirus-in-ohio-update

Bruce, that 100k isn’t exactly crazy. If our “re-opening” happens too soon, that could happen.

It’s only April and it’s about to hit 40k already.

Edited by candyman93

9 minutes ago, bruceb said:

You obviously missed the cause component of the cause and effect proof.

Show me the data.

the cause data you’re looking for is doubling times.  This is what they used for projections.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/10/829167659/are-we-flattening-the-curve-states-keep-watch-on-coronavirus-doubling-times 

And mine as well re you.

You accused me of some mental disorder, the name of which I do not recall, that fits you like a glove.

What's the problem if it makes sense to them?

I said you are a magnificent example of the Dunning Kruger effect and it has literally no application to me as I’m not stating my opinions on the subject but rather the opinion of experts in the field.  

safe to say we can add this to the list of things you clearly don’t understand.

There is growing evidence that the projected infection/death rates were badly exaggerated, in OH and nationally.

The revised projections are the proof of that.

again, they were projections based on doubling times.

There is no way to prove that the "measures" worked to prevent people dying en masse.

Then what else would it be?  What else slowed the spread?  I’ll wait.

And certainly no way to prove that the economic impact on tens of millions of Americans that the "measures", bases in part on exaggerations of the risk, cost is worth the price.

yeah, wouldn’t want people to live if it costs someone a buck...

What’s the number of lives you’re good with losing to maintain the economy. How many people should have to die before we as a society can be proactive as opposed to reactive? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bruceb said:

There’s no possible way to measure economic impact and death.

To commit suicide, you’re probably already in a dark place before the economic impact is felt.