Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

59 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Spain just announced a total lockdown. 

I’ve read nothing to suggest the death % has increased. However, this stuff is spreading like freaking crazy. There’s probably 10x as many people infected as what’s being reported.

Well we’re not really testing, so who knows....

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What are your opinions based on bruce? What years of study and expertise?  This isn’t the time for “ya know what I think..”, it’s time to listen to what experts in the field of healthcare and infectious disease/pandemics think.  Do they know everything?  Nope.  But they know a lot more about this than a guy with a hunch.

Reports like this: "(Dr. Amy Action, director of the Ohio Department of Health) said 1% of Ohio’s population, more than 100,000 people, were carrying the virus as of Thursday based on estimates using confirmed and presumed cases and experiences in China and other countries" at time when there were 5 reported cases (now 26). The " more than 100,000 people carrying the virus" statement based on spotty at best apples-to-oranges data does not pass a smell test. Could she be right? Sure, even WAGs sometimes are accurate. There are other examples floating out there as well. Oh, btw, she just walked it back some: https://www.theblaze.com/news/top-official-who-claimed-more-than-100-000-coronavirus-cases-in-ohio-now-admits-she-was-guesstimating

You are the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

This is completely off the mark. I am a lawyer. I am only interested in provable facts.

Look, I’m not telling people we need to panic and this is the end of days, but we were at the point of action a while ago.  People like yourself who think “what’s the big deal?” are the problem right now tbh.  We need everyone to buy into things like social distancing and flattening the curve.  I mean, what do you have to lose?  

Already my SOP. 

Not a germaphobe, per se, but I consider living organisms or treated substances of any kind to be factories of unsavory isth.

Here, you can add this to your arsenal: I have not drunk tap water since 1979.

Edited by bruceb
Related thought
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Reports like this: "(Dr. Amy Action, director of the Ohio Department of Health) said 1% of Ohio’s population, more than 100,000 people, were carrying the virus as of Thursday based on estimates using confirmed and presumed cases and experiences in China and other countries" at time when there were 5 reported cases (now 26). The " more than 100,000 people carrying the virus" statement based on spotty at best apples-to-oranges data does not pass a smell test. Could she be right? Sure, even WAGs sometimes are accurate. There are other examples floating out there as well. Oh, btw, she just walked it back some: https://www.theblaze.com/news/top-official-who-claimed-more-than-100-000-coronavirus-cases-in-ohio-now-admits-she-was-guesstimating

This is completely off the mark. I am a lawyer. I am only interested in provable facts.

Already my SOP. 

Not a germaphobe, per se, but I consider living organisms or treated substances of any kind to be factories of unsavory isth.

But the fluoride for your teeth...

26 minutes ago, bruceb said:

???? It was always an estimate, we haven’t been testing.  What is your point?  

And just because she was guesstimating doesn’t mean she’s wrong.

You literally just said the estimates “in your opinion” are wildly exaggerated. Basing your opinion on nothing and thinking you know more than the world’s leading experts is exactly the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

I appreciate your point, but to accumulate facts you need data.  Our government has been slow to respond and get testing kits available for use.  We’ve had verified cases in the country for nearly 2 months and are just now (the last few days) began to start testing proactively.  They turned down testing kits from other counties.

You can’t “prove” data that has never bothered to have been accumulated.

Waiting for “provable data” is also exceptionally reactionary, which helps nothing real time and moving forward.

Already my SOP. 

I mean, good.  We can argue about a lot of dumb **** related to sports and whatnot but I enjoy having your old boomer arse around and hate to see people poo pooing a potentially terrible situation because it doesn’t match their political agenda.

This is a “prepare for the worst and hope for the best” situation.  If this is all overblown hype and nonsense, fine, everything goes back to normal in a few weeks.  If it’s not, a lot of at risk individuals pay a steep price.  No one will be happier than me if this is a running joke in a year or two, but what does it cost to make sure that if it isn’t proper preventative measures are in place?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

said 1% of Ohio’s population, more than 100,000 people, were carrying the virus as of Thursday

She delivered it as a statement of fact when it wasn't and didn't have an at all adequate scientific basis.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

???? It was always an estimate, we haven’t been testing.  What is your point?  

If it had not been made as a statement of fact many, many orders of magnitude beyond the current experience and without sufficient data, she would not have walked it back.

You asked what my opinions were based on. This is an example. An unsubstantiated, probably unsubstantiatable and exagerated, and certainly alarming statement with little/no science behind it.

That kind of behaviour doesn't do anyone any good.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s a lawyer who likely sees the dentist.

And liberally uses effective decay-preventive dentifrices in a conscientiously applied program of dental hygiene along with regular professional care.

I floss and rinse twice a day, too.;)

• Like 1