Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 we are talking about adult things like real estate, finances, a housing bubble, and tax with-holdings. Get in here dude, it's pretty lit. 

I'm so done looking for houses man. The real estate market is stupid right now.

Part of me just wants to wait like 20 years and just pay cash.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm so done looking for houses man. The real estate market is stupid right now.

Part of me just wants to wait like 20 years and just pay cash.

It's tough, because while the market is stupid, the interest rates are absolutely incredible...but if you really wanted to hold out 20 years and pay cash, while actively putting the excess into mutual funds in the meantime...

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's tough, because while the market is stupid, the interest rates are absolutely incredible...but if you really wanted to hold out 20 years and pay cash, while actively putting the excess into mutual funds in the meantime...

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

Since I have my downpayment invested, every year I don't bite the bullet is another year where I can let it pile up. And it's to the point now where my expected ROI is bigger than my rent, so I'm already "living for free" so to speak.

I also hate realtors (to be fair, they hate me too). I'm on my third now.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Since I have my downpayment invested, every year I don't bite the bullet is another year where I can let it pile up. And it's to the point now where my expected ROI is bigger than my rent, so I'm already "living for free" so to speak.

I can fully picture your anger at the incompetence of the realtor, when you she says "sir, we don't have any plots of land that only have a basement".

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I guess you could always one of these years take the roll it over and use that on your donwpayment, but honestly, since you aren't having kids, you don't "need a house" now and will save a ton on furnishings and things for upkeep...and as long as you don't have a house payment when you retire, financially that's very viable. 

Or, wait for this bubble to burst, then get yourself a nice foreclosure. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I can fully picture your anger at the incompetence of the realtor, when you she says "sir, we don't have any plots of land that only have a basement".

"So, just to be clear, you want 3 acres of paved land so that you don't have to mow grass or interact with any bugs?"

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess you could always one of these years take the roll it over and use that on your donwpayment, but honestly, since you aren't having kids, you don't "need a house" now and will save a ton on furnishings and things for upkeep...and as long as you don't have a house payment when you retire, financially that's very viable. 

Or, wait for this bubble to burst, then get yourself a nice foreclosure. 

Yep since i don't want kids I don't need more space and I also don't have to care about school districts (except for the general neighborhood quality). Let's me be a lot more flexible. And yeah every day i don't buy means I can sit on the next round of foreclosures when they start happening. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep since i don't want kids I don't need more space and I also don't have to care about school districts (except for the general neighborhood quality). Let's me be a lot more flexible. And yeah every day i don't buy means I can sit on the next round of foreclosures when they start happening. 

Exactly. If you care about the community but not schools, a Township will probably be the best type of investment for you/you can live about anywhere, and if you had to get a return on your investment, then you could buy now and sell after things stabalize, then play it that way too. I'll be honest, we were outbid for a foreclosure 7 years ago and that thing went last year for TWICE what it was worth. I unfortunately couldn't trump the bid when I was 26, so you being where you likely are now means that you're in a great spot.