Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

I've just been offered a job 'based' in Zurich, but where I get to work from the UK pretty much all the time.

In a normal year I'd be up expected to visit the offices in Zurich, Lisbon and New York a couple of times per year each.

On 25% more than I'm making now and with decent bonuses and share options. Working for the only boss I've ever had that I liked and respected.

Now, here's the kicker. I have to blow him. 

Only joking.

The dilemma for me is that I have been with my current employer for 15 years and there is a lot of job security. If they want to can me they'd have to give me 15 month's salary. If I go with the new job, I have pretty much zero employment rights until I've been there for 12 months.

What would you do?

1 hour ago, Mega Ron said:

I've just been offered a job 'based' in Zurich, but where I get to work from the UK pretty much all the time.

In a normal year I'd be up expected to visit the offices in Zurich, Lisbon and New York a couple of times per year each.

On 25% more than I'm making now and with decent bonuses and share options. Working for the only boss I've ever had that I liked and respected.

Only joking.

The dilemma for me is that I have been with my current employer for 15 years and there is a lot of job security. If they want to can me they'd have to give me 15 month's salary. If I go with the new job, I have pretty much zero employment rights until I've been there for 12 months.

What would you do?

How hard would it be to find a comparable job to what you have now if something doesn’t work out at the new place?

Only joking.

What would you do?

I would take the new job. No real reason to show loyalty to a business like that. If push came to shove and they had to fire you, they would do it in a heart beat if it’s what’s best for the company. Now you gotta do what’s best for you. 

that new job sounds like an upgrade. But like you said you have to wait 12months for employment rights. What are the chances of that happening? Do they have high turn over? 

Don’t take for consideration about being loyal to your other company. Do what is best for you and only you.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How hard would it be to find a comparable job to what you have now if something doesn’t work out at the new place?

I'm not sure to be honest. I could probably go back to it. My thinking is that job losses might be horrific next year and over here it's incredibly difficult, and complicated, for a company to get rid of you. It would cost 6 figures to get rid of me.

They can't fire you if you've been there for longer than 12 months.

I do really like the idea of working in Europe (we don't think of our island as Europe really) and the US. 

Edited by Mega Ron
Ish.

22 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

So I guess there are people who think the fires in Oregon are fake.

They're probably the same people that think a worldwide pandemic is a hoax, that Sandy Hook never happened, that we didn't land on the moon, and that Kurt Cobain wasn't killed by Courtney Love/whoever she hired.

22 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Even though the freaking skies are turning orange and red in cities close by.

Say it with me:

FAKE NEWS

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

So I guess there are people who think the fires in Oregon are fake.

Even though the freaking skies are turning orange and red in cities close by.

If only someone who was so skeptical could just go to Oregon and see for themselves.

Hopefully they’d get a very up close and personal experience and improve humanity’s gene pool.

I'm not sure to be honest. I could probably go back to it. My thinking is that job losses might be horrific next year and over here it's incredibly difficult, and complicated, for a company to get rid of you. It would cost 6 figures to get rid of me.

They can't fire you if you've been there for longer than 12 months.

I do really like the idea of working in Europe (we don't think of our island as Europe really) and the US. 

I’m cautious by nature, but if I made good money where I was at (which I’m assuming you do based on previous conversations), and I was concerned about the potential for maintaining employment I’d prolly stay put.