Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

20 minutes ago, bruceb said:

There already was a trend toward remote work before the virus.

Now it's on steroids and will be transformational.

I know of one very large company with two skyscrapers of staff facility across the street from each other.

The plan being discussed is to consolidate the personnel into one of the buildings, stagger staff physical attendance to the workplace, fill out with remote work and divest the other building.

I agree.

However, you will have the gate keeper types who don’t like it. You’ll also have micro managers and office bully types that poo-poo on it (screw em, those types serve no purpose).

It financially makes sense to switch work to remote IF production doesn’t dip. I can’t imagine how my production would dip personally. It’s just myself and my girlfriend and she works the same hours as me anyways.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I can’t imagine how my production would dip personally. It’s just myself and my girlfriend and she works the same hours as me anyways.

That is good for you.

I tried working from home for a couple of years and it did not work.

It's not just kids...it's the wife and pets, too.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

So since this all started, I have been working in a office. However, I was told today that myself and several coworkers are now going to be working from home for the next 6 months starting exactly a month from now.

Really odd.

I could never do it if I had kids. I’d go insane.

I’ve worked from home worn kids for 5 plus years. I’d need a 30-40% bump in pay to even consider leaving a WAH job tbh.  

My 8 hour work day is 8 hours, not 8 hours of work plus a commute (where you arrive early to account for traffic).

Without a commute I spend a minimal amount on gas and vehicle upkeep.

I don’t pack lunches, I open my fridge.

I can wake up 5 min before the start of my shift if I choose (I personally can’t function like that, but I could).  

I can spend my breaks changing over laundry so I don’t have to do it in the evenings or weekends.

No traffic, no cold arse car in the winter, no ice to scrape or snow to remove, none of that.

The only thing I think you NEED to work from home well is a dedicated work space.  That way you can close the door and “leave work at work”.

As far as production, most jobs have metrics that can monitor that.  Besides, how many people work a job where there boss is literally watching them work all day (office job of course)?  Most of them are doing their own work.  WebEx meeting, instant messaging, etc allow for all the unpleasant interactions with odd coworkers you could want.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My 8 hour work day is 8 hours, not 8 hours of work plus a commute (where you arrive early to account for traffic).

I can wake up 5 min before the start of my shift if I choose (I personally can’t function like that, but I could).  

I can spend my breaks changing over laundry so I don’t have to do it in the evenings or weekends.

No traffic, no cold arse car in the winter, no ice to scrape or snow to remove, none of that.

This is what has me excited more than anything.

I’m also glad I won’t have a boss hovering over me or annoying coworkers. The people I’ll actually miss I talk to them outside of work anyways.

I get to dress like a bum too.

Edited by candyman93

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve worked from home worn kids for 5 plus years. I’d need a 30-40% bump in pay to even consider leaving a WAH job tbh.  

The only thing I think you NEED to work from home well is a dedicated work space.  That way you can close the door and “leave work at work”.

As far as production, most jobs have metrics that can monitor that.  Besides, how many people work a job where there boss is literally watching them work all day (office job of course)?  Most of them are doing their own work.  WebEx meeting, instant messaging, etc allow for all the unpleasant interactions with odd coworkers you could want.

Can confirm letsgo works from home. This post is pretty spot on. As long as you’re not a lazy dbag working from home is doable. Although if you live by yourself it can be tricky. Loneliness is a thing and you need to search out outside stimulus. 

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is what has me excited more than anything.

I’m also glad I won’t have a boss hovering over me or annoying coworkers. The people I’ll actually miss I talk to them outside of work anyways.

I get to dress like a bum too.

Gym shorts and tees all day every day.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My wife has been working from home for 2 years. I absolutely hate it. I use to love having the run of the place on my own on my off days when she was at work. It might be easy on the people working from home but god damnit the spouses hate it. 

56 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Loneliness is a thing and you need to search out outside stimulus. 

Everyone is different. I have never experienced the feeling of loneliness. Maybe it's a middle child coping mechanism or something but never in my life have I felt the desire to seek someone out from just loneliness. I enjoy the company of others when we share a common interest. Loved sports. Loved poker nights. Loved getting high. Loved playing video games. However if there was nothing going on I prefer to do nothing on my own.

That's just talking about friend stuff not girl stuff. That isn't really loneliness imo.

9 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

My wife has been working from home for 2 years. I absolutely hate it. I use to love having the run of the place on my own on my off days when she was at work. It might be easy on the people working from home but god damnit the spouses hate it. 

Wife works from home too 😂 

But yeah man, I know what you mean.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder, etc.  You need some space at times.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yup, I've been loving working from home. And with my job, being at an office is totally unnecessary. I hope I never have to go back to the office. 😂

Just now, DawgX said:

Yup, I've been loving working from home. And with my job, being at an office is totally unnecessary. I hope I never have to go back to the office. 😂

Most offices are unnecessary.

I get that people need socialization, but you can do that on your own time with people of your choosing instead of the forced interactions your employer provides.

This isn’t 1970.  People don’t need to be in close proximity to work with one another.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Most offices are unnecessary.

I get that people need socialization, but you can do that on your own time with people of your choosing instead of the forced interactions your employer provides.

This isn’t 1970.  People don’t need to be in close proximity to work with one another.

Plus from a business cost/benefit analysis, renting or leasing office spaces in many companies doesn’t make sense fiscally anymore. Why spend tens of thousands or more annually on paying for a space, cleaning, maintenance, utilities, etc? Especially in big cities.

• Like 1