Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/why-is-a-columbus-becoming-tech-hub-for-major-companies

I have lived here for over a decade and have been watching this city grow, grow ,grow ,grow. I know a lot of people in the tech space that have backed the whole 'Columbus is going to be Silicon Valley of the East' movement.

There are already so many HQs there. Scotts Lawn, Huntington, Wendys, Nationwide, Safelite, Bob Evans, Honda manufacturing, White Castle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Bath and Body Works, Express, Victorias Secret, Big Lots, Donatos Pizza, Value City Furniture, JEGS, Lane Bryant, The Limited, NetJets, Max and Erma's, Red Roof Inn, Sbarro and SkyBus.

ALL are HQd in Columbus. City is very very similar to Austin TX in that sense.

Columbus is night and day from what I remember growing up. They’ve done a great job building up that city. 

44 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s a crock. I’ve heard this said my entire life.

It’s what I mentioned before. You have to have the infrastructure to support massive supply chains, you need the best schools for talent, and you need the night life to keep them there.

What supply chain is Columbus missing? 

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m talking big enough to support the massive tech companies.

The most obvious problem is the distance from here to China when compared to the west coast.

Thats why I think it is best served as more of a hub for domestic distribution. Thats why companies like Honda and Budweiser have their plants/factories/distribution centers there.

I couldnt believe it wasnt picked as Amazons east coast HQ to be honest. Its a cheap place to be compared to others like CA/TX and it is the perfect location to sort of be a bridge between the East Coast and Mid West if you just think of how many other cities are in short reach of Columbus for distribution. 

Cleveland, Cincinatti, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Philidelphia, Baltimore, Boston, New York, Nashville, Memphis and you could even go as far as the Carolinas.

Its a perfect, cheap, middle ground type of Hub city to everything surrounding it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think this is the part people are underestimating. 

It costs significantly more to ship stuff from Asia to Ohio vs California. It’s the #1 reason why California is what it is today.

Expensive?

Ohio can just get the Prime membership.

My aunt worked at a hotel when she lived there, she was a maid in China

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Now, something that could in theory change EVERYTHING is if 3D printing continues to grow.

The idea of generating a product right in front of you is some Sci-fi type of ish lol

My brother in law is into that, I saw him make some plastic clips for his pantry for shelving units he was building. Its insane to watch, a little bit too slow of a process if you are trying to produce in bulk but Im sure there are bigger better printers out there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

My brother in law is into that, I saw him make some plastic clips for his pantry for shelving units he was building. Its insane to watch, a little bit too slow of a process if you are trying to produce in bulk but Im sure there are bigger better printers out there.

You’re right, but all it takes is 1 “holy ****” breakthrough to change everything. This was in 1984.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:13 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Columbus is night and day from what I remember growing up. They’ve done a great job building up that city. 

Current Mayoral “leadership” tearing that city back down overnight. Trust me, as nice as that city was a year ago, it will be unrecognizable in a decade. People would be best to run for the hills.

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Current Mayoral “leadership” tearing that city back down overnight. Trust me, as nice as that city was a year ago, it will be unrecognizable in a decade. People would be best to run for the hills.

The current mayor doesn’t do anything different from Coleman.

Being mayor in Columbus means just looking happy and smiling on camera while saying “go Bucks!”

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

The current mayor doesn’t do anything different from Coleman.

Being mayor in Columbus means just looking happy and smiling on camera while saying “go Bucks!”

Trust me, there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes with Ginther and City Hall in general. Way different, and there’s a reason crime in Columbus is way higher then ever and the homicide and violent crime numbers have lapped previous years. From Zach Klein to Ginther and his minions, it’s a seriously corrupt political entity that is killing the city. The Downtown is even completely unsafe to visit anymore. 

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Trust me, there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes with Ginther and City Hall in general. Way different, and there’s a reason crime in Columbus is way higher then ever and the homicide and violent crime numbers have lapped previous years. From Zach Klein to Ginther and his minions, it’s a seriously corrupt political entity that is killing the city. The Downtown is even completely unsafe to visit anymore. 

It’s not all politics related. 

The biggest myth about this city is that it’s got a growing job market. Here are the job options in Columbus: working at a warehouse, working in retail, working for OSU as a underpaid and scammed temp / contract employee, and as a government employee.

Then you need to look at the housing situation. Now this is extreme corruption. When a city grows, you expand the building of homes. Well, why do that when you can cram everybody in and jack up the prices of homes? Sprinkle in some gentrification so people can’t afford to live in what was once their neighborhood. Finally, punish people for being homeless. This isn’t a shot at anybody specifically because the solution is building more shelters.

Then there’s the corruption of what we do with food. We could EASILY feed everybody not just in Columbus, but’s the entire state. However, big farms don’t like the idea of food being easily accessible because that hurts their pockets.

tldr;

1. Job market has sucked since 2008. We NEVER recovered from that. It was the most single destructive event since the Great Depression. People just don’t understand the full ramifications.

2. Housing problem.

3. Food shortage caused by corruption.