Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

6 hours ago, JDD said:

As for AOC, I don't think that matters. She hasn't swung at many big shots and actually connected. I think she is a paper tiger in this situation. Good to get twitter in an uproar though, I will give her that. Her team knows how to win those battles.

True but I’ll gladly take her over about 90% of the rest. At least she talks a good game. The majority of them are just rigging the game 

OK.....I had something rather bizarre (and exciting) happen yesterday.  

As most of you know, I've been doing this AFL podcast for about 14 months.  

At this point, I actually spend more time talking with people that live in Australia than I do people in my own neighborhood.  About 6 weeks ago, someone reached out to me on messenger, and told me that they'd discovered my podcast.  They explained that they were from Queensland (which is a VERY rugby dominated state), and had just been transferred to Victoria (a VERY Aussie Rules dominated state).  

She admitted that she doesn't know much about footy, and now that she is in Victoria, she needs to learn the game, and hence she found my podcast.  I knew that she worked as a "drive-time" radio host.  Yesterday, she reached out and said that she and her station managers have decided that they would like me to come onto their show once a week, during the season, to talk about the previous week's games, and discuss the upcoming games and news of the week.

Absolutely stoked about this opportunity, as I think it can lead to a significant bump in my listenership.  (also have interviews scheduled with people involved with bringing the game to India and Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia.)  Linkedin has been such an untapped resource for making connections.  I thought I'd hear from a handful of people, and it has been dozens and dozens and dozens who've reached out.  This is uncharted territory where a hobby becomes stressful (in a good way).  I have to keep reminding myself of the old adage I use with my students when I've given them a huge project.  "How do you eat an elephant?"  "One bite at a time."

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

At this point, I actually spend more time talking with people that live in Australia than I do people in my own neighborhood.  About 6 weeks ago, someone reached out to me on messenger, and told me that they'd discovered my podcast.  They explained that they were from Queensland (which is a VERY rugby dominated state), and had just been transferred to Victoria (a VERY Aussie Rules dominated state).  

She admitted that she doesn't know much about footy, and now that she is in Victoria, she needs to learn the game, and hence she found my podcast.  I knew that she worked as a "drive-time" radio host.  Yesterday, she reached out and said that she and her station managers have decided that they would like me to come onto their show once a week, during the season, to talk about the previous week's games, and discuss the upcoming games and news of the week.

Absolutely stoked about this opportunity, as I think it can lead to a significant bump in my listenership.  (also have interviews scheduled with people involved with bringing the game to India and Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia.)  Linkedin has been such an untapped resource for making connections.  I thought I'd hear from a handful of people, and it has been dozens and dozens and dozens who've reached out.  This is uncharted territory where a hobby becomes stressful (in a good way).  I have to keep reminding myself of the old adage I use with my students when I've given them a huge project.  "How do you eat an elephant?"  "One bite at a time."

Good luck and remember all of the support those in this forum would have given you had we knew you would make it big time in the business.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Good luck and remember all of the support those in this forum would have given you had we knew you would make it big time in the business.

star trek lol GIF

Ain't nobody made it big 'round here. 

(Although I do consider myself to be a professional podcaster now, as someone did contribute $10 on my "buy me a coffee" page.)  

The potential for this thing "blowing up" right now is more real than it ever has been, but I'm not quitting my day job quite yet.  Of course, it could just as easily "blow up" as well.

fire panic GIF

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 8:34 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

You’re a genuinely good dude and I don’t say that often about people I don’t know. You deserve all the success in the world.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

You’re a genuinely good dude and I don’t say that often about people I don’t know. You deserve all the success in the world.

4 hours ago, roger murdock said:

+1

Snow White Reaction GIF

Aww shucks.....and on Valentine's Day too. 

channing frye GIF

Thanks guys.  This last 14 months of doing this podcast has been an absolute blast.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 8:34 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Thats amazing man. Congrats!!!!

I know the feeling....in this quarantine it opened up a lot of possibilities for people. I literally started my own business by making arts and crafts with a e-commerce website and a vendors license. I was in the bank yesterday to open a business checking account after the LLC went through and I had a moment of 'wtf am I doing right now?'

Take the opportunity and crush it! 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1