Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Our school Levy passed, so now we don’t have to terminate 76 teachers and 135 total staff/faculty, and I don’t have to go down and teach in the junior high. I’m relieved. 

I've been teaching 27 years.  We've passed two levies in that entire time.  We had an incident in our district that the local news media got flat out wrong, and the community held an unwarranted grudge against the district for well over a decade.  

12 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I've been teaching 27 years.  We've passed two levies in that entire time.  We had an incident in our district that the local news media got flat out wrong, and the community held an unwarranted grudge against the district for well over a decade.  

Ugh, dude that's absolutely BRUTAL and I'm sorry to hear that. I've seen things like this completely destroy communities, and they've never been the same.

Grove City used to be an AWESOME district, and since then it's really gone downhill. @candyman93 correct me if I'm wrong here.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Ugh, dude that's absolutely BRUTAL and I'm sorry to hear that. I've seen things like this completely destroy communities, and they've never been the same.

Grove City used to be an AWESOME district, and since then it's really gone downhill. @candyman93 correct me if I'm wrong here.

I shot you a message filling you in on what happened.  It was ugly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Also (Warning, rant incoming)

I am currently boycotting lumber, which is outrageous at over a 300% increase, and am gathering an army of intelligent like minded individuals who will also vow to do the same. As long as people keep buying and enabling these distributors, the prices are going to stay put and us as consumers will continue to get absolutely crushed and gouged. I'm officially putting my foot down. Who is with me?!?!?!?!

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

So much construction and home remodeling going on.  Prices ain't going anywhere but up.  Nobody likes contractors, but they're the ones really taking the bath on this.

Perfect gif though lol.

Just now, ReggieCamp said:

So much construction and home remodeling going on.  Prices ain't going anywhere but up.  

The reality is, it's a perfect storm of Covid shutting down saw mills a year ago, with the demand for lumber skyrocketing due to historically low mortgage rates, followed by a ton of time off and the inability to do anything else but home projects, parlayed with a bunch of stimulus money.

People forgot to factor in the 3 month turnaround from the lumber yard to the distributor, so they're back-logged, and this won't let up for quite some time.

Nobody likes contractors, but they're the ones really taking the bath on this.

Absolutely no question there. My brother in law is REALLY getting gouged (owns his own construction company) and has to honor his quotes. I admire and respect him a ton for it.

That said, the distributors are the ones who are basically stealing here. The slight uptick or even 188% uptick is understandable, but 300% is egregious.

Perfect gif though lol.

High Five Arrested Development GIF

6 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

I had three projects planned for this year, including a deck. I have inadvertently joined your boycott because I'm cheap.

(I started my boycott because of my raised garden bed that is now ridiculously overpriced)

The raised bed is the spark that started our revolution!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not just lumber, most things are increasing in cost.

Take a look at car lots, sporting good stores for ammo, etc. 

Groceries are up 3% across the board.

Cars and trucks are WAY up.

...dare we mention inflation...?

ixcR8zc.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

(I started my boycott because of my raised garden bed that is now ridiculously overpriced)

The raised bed is the spark that started our revolution!

Any post featuring a Tobias gif is almost guaranteed to get a like from me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Not sure about elsewhere in Ohio, but the housing market is also absolutely insane in Columbus right now

Tell me about it. We had to pay 15k over asking price PLUS bend over backwards to pay for closing costs, writing the sellers a letter about why they should accept our offer, let them stay in the house until they closed on their new one, ect, ect

And that was 2 years ago.... every other house in our neighborhood has a For Sale sign on it because people are looking to cash in.

Since we lived here, our estimated home value has already increased 25k.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Tell me about it. We had to pay 15k over asking price PLUS bend over backwards to pay for closing costs, writing the sellers a letter about why they should accept our offer, let them stay in the house until they closed on their new one, ect, ect

And that was 2 years ago.... every other house in our neighborhood has a For Sale sign on it because people are looking to cash in.

Since we lived here, our estimated home value has already increased 25k.

I looked at a house on Saturday that had severe water damage on the ceiling (stains and cracks) everywhere and it went for $25k over asking befor the end of the day

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Lol Grove City is dog ****. Especially compared to other suburbs.

I could expand on why, but it’d get me in trouble.