Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I sold a house in Hilliard last year, and yes, the market is hot in the Columbus area. We bought 45 minutes from the city on a fixer upper with some land but it probably would have run $100k more in a Columbus suburb. To be frank, the further from Columbus the better these days, crime and bureaucracy are out of control, and I am happy to have my kids in a nice, smaller school district with the first in Kindergarten next year. I also hate traffic. 

I had looked to redo the deck but I’ll be holding off until something happens with the lumber cost. I did put the stimulus money towards building farm fencing around the property with stim money but that was kind of necessity. Strangely the cost of lumber went up since the winter when I did it, I almost held off thinking it could go down at the time. Eventually we could be looking at a pole barn or a small guest house on the property but not even entertaining that right now. I have also heard that the housing market could go down here soon, so an investment property when that happens to rent out could be a decent way to go. Profit and then sell when the market goes back up.

What im going to be upset with is when I had to buy in a sellers market and then I will have to sell in a buyers market lol

It was our first home and even our realtor was telling us 'I have no idea what to even do with these appraisals Ive never seen the market like this before.....sorry its not usually like this" lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

New builds in Powell are the most recent converted farmland available and that is why I hate it so much. Also, my neighbors whose daughter was my daughter's best friend moved there this year. And yes, their home buying story was insane. So glad I am not on the market right now.

The schools up there are excellent, I will give you that, but that is beyond expected with taxes like that. It does afford your kids a better education and scholarship opportunities, but I will not sit in traffic every day for my kids. 

Im more or less referring to 'old Powell' near 270/Hard Rd. and the Zoo. Not further out where they just continue to throw up developmental housing in farmland like New Albany. Tons of neighborhoods over there built in the 90s/00s. I want to stay North because we love Alum Creek boating, dog park, hiking and the beach during summer months.

We wanted to originally look at houses around Alum Creek in Deleware/Orange Schools but hooooolly crap I need 4 jobs to be able to afford some of those houses up there.

But yes, your 100% correct--the traffic in any northern suburb is a nightmare. Im not sure why. I blame a lot of the traffic where I live on Chase Bank HQ being right here in Polaris, could also be people always trying to get to 71N to go back and forth from CLE/COL or maybe its just because the a lot of 'downtown' workers live North and not downtown.

Edited by AkronsWitness

25 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What im going to be upset with is when I had to buy in a sellers market and then I will have to sell in a buyers market lol

It was our first home and even our realtor was telling us 'I have no idea what to even do with these appraisals Ive never seen the market like this before.....sorry its not usually like this" lol

Speaking of appraisals, there are a lot of home buyers willing to waive appraisals if it means they can buy the house easier

that just seems absolutely asinine to me I feel like

5 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Speaking of appraisals, there are a lot of home buyers willing to waive appraisals if it means they can buy the house easier

that just seems absolutely asinine to me I feel like

That is insane, well what I was told is that you can only buy the house for X amount above what the appraisal comes back as. So if the house is appraised at 240k you cant offer a max of 260k or something like that.

Im trying to remember but it has something to do with the seller and they will have something to pay or do if the home gets sold for X amount over the appraisal. Maybe it had something to do with the banks and tax. I cant remember but there was somethignw where I realtor told us that they might accept less than our offer because if it was too high over appraisal, it would open some sort of door for something else to happen. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

FWIW, appraisals are for LENDERS/BANKS, not the buyer/seller to ensure that you get the equity in your house should you default on that loan and they'd need to sell via foreclosure.

Wow, I'm a nerd/old.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

FWIW, appraisals are for LENDERS/BANKS, not the buyer/seller to ensure that you get the equity in your house should you default on that loan and they'd need to sell via foreclosure.

Wow, I'm a nerd/old.

we just had to get an appraisal for our house because we just refinanced. its pretty worthless, all it did was increase my property tax lol its nice knowing that the deck and pool we added increased the value of the house but we arent selling anytime soon 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

we just had to get an appraisal for our house because we just refinanced. its pretty worthless, all it did was increase my property tax lol its nice knowing that the deck and pool we added increased the value of the house but we arent selling anytime soon 

You have some nerve you know. You added a pool and haven’t invited us all over for a pool party? 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bruceb said:

I feel for you guys that have to deal with traffic/time and such.

My office is .8 miles from my house.

The spa that my wife works at is 1.0 miles from the house.

Between us, we put less than 2,500 miles/year on our cars.

Hell, when the weather is nice I walk.

Walking probably allows for you to catch any businesses that dont comply with some type of code, or accessibility.  “When the weather is nice”, my arse🤣

• Like 1

Canton area housing market is ridiculous too.

we have put in 6 or 7 offers, ranging from list price, to 20k over list, and have been outbid each time.

there have been several houses that had already had over 10 offers, so we didn’t care to waste our time, or our realtors...

today, 2 houses got posted that were just purchased within the last 2 years, for 100k less than what they are asking....and both will go well over list price.

im trying to convince my wife to agree on looking for land, to build in a year or 2....but she would just rather look at houses, in which she just finds countless things she doesn’t like.....

you would think she would realize someone as picky as her, would realize having something designed to her standards makes way more sense then “finding the perfect house that hits all her marks”....but....it clearly makes so much sense that it doesn’t make a lick of sense at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He spends his vacations alternating between the sounds of a rainforest, a babbling brook and waves crashing on a beach.

Actually listen to Andreas Vollenweider.

Pretty much the same thing.

22 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Powell?!?!? POWELL?!!?!

I hate that part of town. Expensive as hell, taxes through the roof and 10,000 more homes than the roads are built for. You have to go 315 or 23/270/315 to get downtown, along with thousands of others. It's a crawl every day.

I live by Easton, drive 5 minutes to get to any store imaginable, and roll 2 minutes through my neighborhood to get on 670 and 10 more minutes to get downtown where I work. 

Gahanna is a diverse community, way more than any of the other burbs. I have Albanian neighbors, Nepalese neighbors, and Ethiopian neighbors on my block. My daughter's 4th grade class is about a 50/50 mix of white/non-white, which as a child of racist parents who would only live in "safe" cities (i.e. everyone looked like them), is important to me that my kids connect with other kids who have had different experiences than what they have had.

Had to quote this post for emphasis. I really appreciate what you’re doing for your kids. One thing I’ll forever be grateful to my parents is exposing me to the reality of life being diverse and I’m not superior to any other race. I’ve learned to appreciate people for who they are no matter how different they are to me. Diversity is a brilliant part of being human. Unless of course you’re truly stupid and a piece of crap human. But that is usually easy to spot. 

Just a public service announcement. Not going to engage in what I’ve said. Unless of course you can be bigger than the falsities you’ve been fed through you’re limited life. 

😘