Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

2 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Canton area housing market is ridiculous too.

we have put in 6 or 7 offers, ranging from list price, to 20k over list, and have been outbid each time.

there have been several houses that had already had over 10 offers, so we didn’t care to waste our time, or our realtors...

today, 2 houses got posted that were just purchased within the last 2 years, for 100k less than what they are asking....and both will go well over list price.

im trying to convince my wife to agree on looking for land, to build in a year or 2....but she would just rather look at houses, in which she just finds countless things she doesn’t like.....

you would think she would realize someone as picky as her, would realize having something designed to her standards makes way more sense then “finding the perfect house that hits all her marks”....but....it clearly makes so much sense that it doesn’t make a lick of sense at all.

I know a few people that have looked recently and the one thing I told them from my search that was 100% the biggest thing was that there is no such thing as a perfect house that checks all your boxes.

Once you understand that, house shopping becomes a lot easier lol It's all about finding the closest on that checks the biggest boxes and living with the rest.

For me, it was buying a ranch. We looked at 10-15 two story houses before settling on a ranch because it had everything else we wanted that a lot of the other two story homes didn't.

Turns out, having the laundry room 10 feet from your bedroom without having to go down 2 flights of stairs is pretty amazing haha

Edited by AkronsWitness

I couldn’t imagine trying to buy a house in this market.

you have to offer over asking in most places, quickly and you’re lucky to get it if you do. There’s no option to think things through, take some time, etc, you just have to rush in to the largest purchase of your life.

Our house has appreciated like 50% since we purchased (at least according to Zillow and such) in 2012 with no real changes to the area.  That’s pretty nuts.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Our house has appreciated like 50% since we purchased (at least according to Zillow and such) in 2012 with no real changes to the area.  That’s pretty nuts.

Zillow is now so confident in their Zestimate that they will purchase houses ~ the cost if there are recent comps. As for this market, it’s unbelievable.

I can’t help but wonder if there’s going to be a massive over-correction when the eviction and Covid safety nets are removed. 

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Zillow is now so confident in their Zestimate that they will purchase houses ~ the cost if there are recent comps. As for this market, it’s unbelievable.

I can’t help but wonder if there’s going to be a massive over-correction when the eviction and Covid safety nets are removed. 

It’s possible, but I’d be shocked if it does more than tempers the market a bit.

Folks in hard hit industries that are still requiring covid relief (service industry, etc) aren’t typically buying mid to higher priced homes, usually closer to “entry level”. 

Perhaps once tenants can be evicted perhaps some homeowners will want to cash in on the higher values, but the rental market is just as strong. Of course you may just want to get out of rentals all together too if you haven’t been paid for a year...

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s possible, but I’d be shocked if it does more than tempers the market a bit.

Folks in hard hit industries that are still requiring covid relief (service industry, etc) aren’t typically buying mid to higher priced homes, usually closer to “entry level”. 

Perhaps once tenants can be evicted perhaps some homeowners will want to cash in on the higher values, but the rental market is just as strong. Of course you may just want to get out of rentals all together too if you haven’t been paid for a year...

I am more or less intrigued and curious to see the impact on those who are landlords who have decided to do the HELOC after HELOC route to buy up homes and then rent them out and if consumers have learned anything since 2007-2012 in that regard.

Granted, I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on this. It’s just funny to me how much things have changed even in 2 years since we bought our land and built. Our 2 acres have doubled in value and our home value has gone up by almost 30% in exactly one year! 

I definitely built at the perfect time and got a steal at a 2.250% at 15 years, so not to be a selfish jerk but if it does correct a bit, I’ll be fine.

I’m basically the exact definition of a middle-middle class family, so I’m really hoping that a good portion of our “88%” will also be setup well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

The further from the big city bureaucrats and prosecutors that don’t prosecute the better. My family and I have loved moving to a smaller town in the country, but to each his and her own. Homicide numbers in Columbus are nearly double what the previous record was, at this time of the year. Same for most violent crimes as a whole. It’s not getting better under this current city leadership that makes things easier on the criminals, trust me. I hate to see it. 

Edited by NateDawg

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I'm a bit confused. That article is all about corruption within Columbus itself, namely state politicians centered within Columbus in regards to policy for everyone else as a whole, written by the Columbus Dispatch. Am I missing something?

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm a bit confused. That article is all about corruption within Columbus itself, namely state politicians centered within Columbus in regards to policy for everyone else as a whole, written by the Columbus Dispatch. Am I missing something?

.......?

Do me a favor and clear out your history, then reclick the link.

On top of the House Bill 6 case, the FBI says its investigation of former Ohio House speaker Cliff Rosenberger remains open and there are corruption cases pending in Toledo and Cincinnati. And federal prosecutors recently won convictions in a case against a former Dayton city commissioner and others.

There was also a giant chart talking about federal corruption convictions per capita.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

The further from the big city bureaucrats and prosecutors that don’t prosecute the better. My family and I have loved moving to a smaller town in the country, but to each his and her own. Homicide numbers in Columbus are nearly double what the previous record was, at this time of the year. Same for most violent crimes as a whole. It’s not getting better under this current city leadership that makes things easier on the criminals, trust me. I hate to see it. 

Your exposure to guns and violence is obviously significantly higher than what your average citizen is exposed to.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

.......?

Do me a favor and clear out your history, then reclick the link.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

There was also a giant chart talking about federal corruption convictions per capita.

I see it now.

Major cities + Politics = Corruption (almost everywhere). JFK won the election in 1960 and his family made their millions off of some very shady and/or illegal practices in our country at the time(s).

Unfortunately, the Northwest section of this state is huge in that regard, as human trafficking is off the charts there.

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

I see it now.

Major cities + Politics = Corruption (almost everywhere). JFK won the election in 1960 and his family made their millions off of some very shady and/or illegal practices in our country at the time(s).

Unfortunately, the Northwest section of this state is huge in that regard, as human trafficking is off the charts there.

Don't you be bringing the NW section of the state into this discussion. Oh wait, we have tons of issues. Never mind, carry on

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Being insular is not being immune. Gun violence takes place in small town Ohio too.

And that violence does not take place because of any prosecutorial decisions. On the root cause list for violent crime, I'm not sure that even shows up.

37 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Being insular is not being immune. Gun violence takes place in small town Ohio too.

And that violence does not take place because of any prosecutorial decisions. On the root cause list for violent crime, I'm not sure that even shows up.

This isn’t true. An extremely high number of the suspects currently committing violent crimes are out on a low bonds. A number of them have had very reduced sentences also. When there are no consequences for one’s actions, there are criminals out on the street and also no fear of committing crime. There are more layers to it but it’s a real issue. 

Over the past year, there have been a number of policy related issues within the City of Columbus as well as judicial decisions that have made things much easier on the criminal and much more difficult on the crime-fighter. It’s a sad reality for the innocent bystander.

As far as crime happening anywhere, obviously that is true, but the statistics speak for a large discrepancy there from an inner city area to the further you are from the metro.

Edited by NateDawg

man, I am so happy I stocked up on pool chlorine already. Bought enough to last me the pool season. The chlorine I bought off amazon has already doubled in priced! After tax, my order was around $44 and $40, just looked up the prices now and its at $85 before tax