Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from the blanket statements I've made in the past saying that I'd fall into Quadrant 4 due to mostly beliefs about education, and this being an education issue notwithstanding, considering in this country your rights aren't effectively guaranteed until age 18, I'm not sure how that applies, especially given the context of what I stated above. I'll copy/paste:

Make it mutually beneficial, and I'd love to hear a lawyer's take, but the original lawsuit filed that paved the way for NIL was from Northwestern (Represent, nerds and B1G), effectively making it a collective bargaining and unionization issue, ergo the issue was NIL was being exploited BY the universities (and they were right) and video game industry (EA Sports...I also lament losing out on a great video game).

So, in theory, it should be a PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT from an employer (the university) and employee (the athlete) relationship, so these athletes should be considered employees of the universities that they represent.

So, IMO, as long as they are wearing ANY/ALL gear or signing merchandise with the schools' brands, they should 100% be seen as university EMPLOYEES, as those colleges/universities pay for and own branding (not getting into the weeds of Nike, Addidas, Newbalance, etc. here) and should also receive some compensation for that said branding. The same with videos in the university weight room(s), dorms, campus housing, fields, etc. It's the same as any employer who owns your "creative rights" post college. If I leave my employer, they have the right to keep everything that I've done/used...so there is a precedent and the same concept applies.

If a guy or girl wants to make a public appearance in "street clothes" and sign autographs that are not affiliated with the university or pictures with any of that gear on, that should then be monitored and branded as such, and violations should be enforced pertaining to both eligibility and monetary liability for the university kickback.

Not to get into partisan issues here, but there's ZERO protection for coaches as it is due to not having any real official unionization representation. All of the 6-8 different classes you have to take (Fundamentals of Coaching, First Aid, CPR, concussion, sudden cardiac arrest) are a pure CYA move by school districts.

You'd better hope your administrator/AD has your back or you're in real trouble. Thankfully that's been the case here for me, but you're 100% right.

There needs to be some protection(s) in place for schools and school employees before it completely ruins (even more so) high school/amateur athletics. Either they'll run out of coaches or this will become the Wild West of mercenary open enrollment/privatized recruiting with super schools whose athletes and parents run the show even more than they already do.

Oh and you'd need them to sign the waiver before tryouts occur, because those who get cut from teams or booted for other behavioral/academic issues will sue.

TBH, this could trickle into the classroom, and I can see it now:

Johnny flunks English.

Johnny becomes academically ineligible.

Johnny's parents SUE the English teacher for that F and ambiguous paper bad grades for lost income pertaining to NIL deals.

I figured that one was low hanging fruit.

Joking Just Kidding GIF

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Met one of my friends husbands last night at dinner, after talking found out he was big into horror/sci-fi movies. The topic eventually landed on the age old 'do you believe in aliens' topic of conversation.

We went back and forth for a while. Me stating it would be silly to think with how absolutely massive everything is and how many galaxies (known and unknown) that there isnt something else there. He stated that physics will not allow anything, essentially saying as long as traveling faster than the speed of light is physically impossible--there is no chance any UFO/Alien from another planet has came here.

SOOO

I chased that conversation asking why have we spent so much time/money/resources going to space with NASA and SpaceX BUT we have no idea whats even here on our own planet in the oceans. Like...what if we took all of the money/effort we put into space and put it into the ocean. Finding out what is deep down there. It is well documented that there are living things way way down there, but we havent discovered everything.

Do you think its weird we have all of this 'go to space' funds, but dont really care anymore about finding things with the oceans? (that I know of at least). I get that pressure/depths limit us--but at a certain point shooting people into space with no oxygen sounded equally ridiculous and we figured that out with money/resources. Why cant we figure out with technology a solution that will let us travel deeper and discover more.

Its just weird to me that we spend so much effort trying to find things out in space, when we havent even discovered more than 5% of the oceans here on our own planet.

Edited by AkronsWitness

13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Met one of my friends husbands last night at dinner, after talking found out he was big into horror/sci-fi movies. The topic eventually landed on the age old 'do you believe in aliens' topic of conversation.

We went back and forth for a while. Me stating it would be silly to think with how absolutely massive everything is and how many galaxies (known and unknown) that there isnt something else there. He stated that physics will not allow anything, essentially saying as long as traveling faster than the speed of light is physically impossible--there is no chance any UFO/Alien from another planet has came here.

SOOO

I chased that conversation asking why have we spent so much time/money/resources going to space with NASA and SpaceX BUT we have no idea whats even here on our own planet in the oceans. Like...what if we took all of the money/effort we put into space and put it into the ocean. Finding out what is deep down there. It is well documented that there are living things way way down there, but we havent discovered everything.

Do you think its weird we have all of this 'go to space' funds, but dont really care anymore about finding things with the oceans? (that I know of at least). I get that pressure/depths limit us--but at a certain point shooting people into space with no oxygen sounded equally ridiculous and we figured that out with money/resources. Why cant we figure out with technology a solution that will let us travel deeper and discover more.

Its just weird to me that we spend so much effort trying to find things out in space, when we havent even discovered more than 5% of the oceans here on our own planet.

From what I’ve read and been told, we do know what’s in our ocean via sonar and other technology. Our military is definitely aware of what’s in the ocean. 

There’s just nothing to talk about. It’s just emptiness.

Edited by candyman93

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

From what I’ve read and been told, we do know what’s in our ocean via sonar and other technology. Our military is definitely aware of what’s in the ocean. 

There’s just nothing to talk about. It’s just emptiness.

Interesting. Thats pretty anti-climatic if true lol. I have seen some documentaries where they basically say there are things down there that can withstand the pressure and we just cant get down further to actually know. 

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t know what it is about Lions specifically, but I fear and respect them more than any animal on the planet.

It’s probably just years of human primal instinct.

I saw that documentary probably 20 years ago, it was one that sticks with you. A couple hyenas can kill a female lion but those male lions often just grab them by the neck and break it. Such a force.

The elephants vs lions make a pretty good show also. Some elephants hunt lions. They will stomp them out whenever they get a chance. Meanwhile 20 lions will attack a single elephant and it's anyone's guess who comes out on top. Obviously if help comes the elephants almost always win. But as amazing as the male lion is elephants are just as amazing and much more complex. Male lions are just jerks.

Edited by Thomas5737
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Crocodiles and hippos man.  Whole lotta nope from me 

I think Hippos are the deadliest African animal to humans. We really need to teach ourselves that they aren't "cute" they are beasts. They kill crocodiles with a single bite. They will out duel a caped buffalo.  Lions don't often mess with them unless they are babies or dying. Again, one bite from a hippo and a lion is probably dead and at best hoping to avoid infection from a nasty nasty bite.

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

I think Hippos are the deadliest African animal to humans. We really need to teach ourselves that they aren't "cute" they are beasts. They kill crocodiles with a single bite. They will out duel a caped buffalo.  Lions don't often mess with them unless they are babies or dying. Again, one bite from a hippo and a lion is probably dead and at best hoping to avoid infection from a nasty nasty bite.

Oh yeah, they’re absolute units and they get grumpy too. No animal engages with a healthy, grown hippo willingly as far as I know.

• Like 1

A lion at a safari zoo park near Lahore locked eyes with the photographer, and right before the wild animal charged at him, he managed to capture these menacing and stunning photos.

According to Saeed, he got out of his jeep to take a few photos of the big cat, but the lens’ sound attracted his attention. “I was thinking – I must show the character and status of the lion and this was the only way I could think of to achieve this,” Saeed told the Dailymail. The dangerous animal approached as few as 10 feet before it jumped at the photographer and he scrambled back into his jeep.

“I was sitting on the ground few feet away, so he was treating me like his prey”

“The story finished in few seconds as the lion aggressively jumped towards me and I just about scrambled into my car”

lion-attack-photo-portrait-wildlife-phot

animal-photography-angry-charging-lion-a

Edited by candyman93