Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

*Getting stuck at a table making small talk with my wife’s extended family members

In general I just think smalltalk should be outlawed. Let’s just be awkwardly quiet around each other instead. Look here person I am never going to see you again, I don’t want to talk about the weather with you, I don’t want to talk about my work when I am not at work, and when I say “Wow, that’s crazy” for the 5th time as you continue to talk, I’m all out of my verbal judo.

• Like 3

@AkronsWitness you are spending a lot of money and hassle out of familial obligation. One of the worst things in life is that dilemma. It’s a necessary evil at times but necessary all the same. Still, I would be thinking about how I could’ve used all that money to get a new set of golf clubs, not take off work, and thinking about how the person getting married probably wouldn’t have really noticed me being there or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

lmao good suggestion. The problem is I want to go. Ive never been to CA before and Denver is the furthest West Ive been. So Im struggling between wanting to go because how many more times will I get a chance to go to CA and make a 4-5 day trip out of it for 3k and having her just go by herself to save $$.

Im just trying to think of this as a vacation with a wedding I have to stop by in the middle lol

The worst cost of this is having to board the dog which costs like $400 for 5 days. So its $1,700 on airfare to fly freaking Spirit, $400 to board the dog, $600 for hotel for 5 nights and thats before we even spend a dollar doing anything. This could easily be closer to 3.5k by the end which is more money than what I paid to go to Florida for 9 days on actual vacation back in June.

fxlA.gif

That dog boarding is absurd unless you’re boarding multiple dogs.

I pay like $43 a night.

California is great, lots of wonderful places to see.  Most of them just aren’t in LA lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

In general I just think smalltalk should be outlawed. Let’s just be awkwardly quiet around each other instead. Look here person I am never going to see you again, I don’t want to talk about the weather with you, I don’t want to talk about my work when I am not at work, and when I say “Wow, that’s crazy” for the 5th time as you continue to talk, I’m all out of my verbal judo.

100%.  And inevitably you’re gonna get sat next to the one person who thinks small talk is an art form and is gonna quiz you and tell you what they believe to be fun stories all night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

and thinking about how the person getting married probably wouldn’t have really noticed me being there or not.

There’s definitely a level of narcissism involved in some weddings.

Obviously most people want to be there for close family and friends, but extended family?  Sorta friends?  Meh.  Like, if I don’t have **** else to do, ok.  But I’m not spending what could be an actual vacation or mortgage payment to show up to an even to celebrate a ceremony that has a 50/50 chance of being considered a mistake eventually. 

When you’re celebrating your 25th anniversary or something holler at me then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That dog boarding is absurd unless you’re boarding multiple dogs.

I pay like $43 a night.

California is great, lots of wonderful places to see.  Most of them just aren’t in LA lol.

Oh it is, its $50 a day + every 45min 'play session' costs $15. Since we have a crack head Australian Shepherd who needs to run he has to get 2x play per day. So $80/day for the dog + getting him groomed at the end so he doesnt smell like a sewage plant when he comes home.

Ive thought about using that app service where somebody comes to your house and lets the dog out and takes them on a walk, its like $35 a day but letting some rando in my house for 4 days when Im not there is something I cant get over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

@AkronsWitness you are spending a lot of money and hassle out of familial obligation. One of the worst things in life is that dilemma. It’s a necessary evil at times but necessary all the same. Still, I would be thinking about how I could’ve used all that money to get a new set of golf clubs, not take off work, and thinking about how the person getting married probably wouldn’t have really noticed me being there or not.

Thats the worst part--there is a 98% chance the person whose wedding it is never even notices me/us being there but we 'have to go' because they came from CA to OH for our wedding. Go to a wedding or buy a jetski 😑

34 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats the worst part--there is a 98% chance the person whose wedding it is never even notices me/us being there but we 'have to go' because they came from CA to OH for our wedding. Go to a wedding or buy a jetski 😑

My wife especially feels those obligations, I am able to set them aside. She typically wins out. I try to pick my battles.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There’s definitely a level of narcissism involved in some weddings.

Obviously most people want to be there for close family and friends, but extended family?  Sorta friends?  Meh.  Like, if I don’t have **** else to do, ok.  But I’m not spending what could be an actual vacation or mortgage payment to show up to an even to celebrate a ceremony that has a 50/50 chance of being considered a mistake eventually. 

When you’re celebrating your 25th anniversary or something holler at me then.

I prefer to just check their wedding registry and send them something or cut a check. Everybody wins. They get their money and don’t have to pay for an extra seat at the reception table. They get to schmooze with other people and one less obligatory person for them to talk to when I’m the last person on their mind that day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I prefer to just check their wedding registry and send them something or cut a check. Everybody wins. They get their money and don’t have to pay for an extra seat at the reception table. They get to schmooze with other people and one less obligatory person for them to talk to when I’m the last person on their mind that day. 

Not saying I want a gift or anything but I was thinking about you on my wedding day.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

tumblr_nxvbco823d1snnvdto1_500.gifv

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

100%.  And inevitably you’re gonna get sat next to the one person who thinks small talk is an art form and is gonna quiz you and tell you what they believe to be fun stories all night.

I’ve been told numerous times by friends not born here that small talk is 100% an American thing.

I’ve also been told Americans smile too much. It makes them uncomfortable lol

• Like 1