Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They need to hurry up with this already. Should have been done a year ago. The steel mill I work at has been having low orders lately because the automotive manufactures don’t have chips for their cars. 

I don't watch the news or do any research to make myself smart about... well pretty much anything so I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about but could this also be picking up because of the Taiwan/Chine future issue and the decision we'll have to make whether or not to defend Taiwan?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't watch the news or do any research to make myself smart about... well pretty much anything so I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about but could this also be picking up because of the Taiwan/Chine future issue and the decision we'll have to make whether or not to defend Taiwan?

There’s a shortage all of the world right now. Taiwan was the worlds largest producer of semiconductor chips and they had slowdowns from Covid. Then they had some natural disasters that damaged some of the factories. So everyone is playing catch up. This issue has showed the rest of the world that we need more semi conductor factories so now we’re building more. I think Arizona is getting another factory too. 

So anyway no this isn’t a political issue. It’s a residual Covid shutdown issue. 

7 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s a shortage all of the world right now. Taiwan was the worlds largest producer of semiconductor chips and they had slowdowns from Covid. Then they had some natural disasters that damaged some of the factories. So everyone is playing catch up. This issue has showed the rest of the world that we need more semi conductor factories so now we’re building more. I think Arizona is getting another factory too. 

So anyway no this isn’t a political issue. It’s a residual Covid shutdown issue. 

Iirc part of the issue for automakers is they supposedly use an outdated/antiquated type of chip. I dunno anything about chips, but apparently this type is mostly just used for automobiles now.  

Also, the way cars are designed they apparently require a LOT of these chips.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Iirc part of the issue for automakers is they supposedly use an outdated/antiquated type of chip. I dunno anything about chips, but apparently this type is mostly just used for automobiles now.  

Also, the way cars are designed they apparently require a LOT of these chips.

I don’t know the specifics behind it but when the pandemic hit car manufactures assumed (wrongly) that people didn’t want to buy new cars. So those chips got sent to other industries. So what you’re saying makes sense. Sounds like they were using chips that could be used elsewhere. 

17 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

because of the Taiwan/Chine future issue and the decision we'll have to make whether or not to defend Taiwan?

I doubt Taiwan would just sit on the sidelines and be cool with that idea. You’d have a massive refugee crisis worse than Ukraine. Ukraine at least has friends next door to them.

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So I think Im about to jump off the deep end and buy some real estate in a very popular area in OH. Try my hand at making good money off Air BnB rentals. Anybody have any experience with vacation/property rentals?

I live in Sandusky (fairly popular vacation location) and have a Vrbo house right across the street.  https://www.vrbo.com/648726?noDates=true&unitId=1196515  FIlled almost every weekend, and many days throughout the summer as well.  

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I live in Sandusky (fairly popular vacation location) and have a Vrbo house right across the street.  https://www.vrbo.com/648726?noDates=true&unitId=1196515  FIlled almost every weekend, and many days throughout the summer as well.  

Seems like the easiest money ever if you just have the 10-20k to front for a down payment because at least for your first one you can get a special vacation property loan

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

So I think Im about to jump off the deep end and buy some real estate in a very popular area in OH. Try my hand at making good money off Air BnB rentals. Anybody have any experience with vacation/property rentals?

I just lost out on a rental property where I live (college town). I rent one spot and it’s a great setup and situation. In my opinion you have to figure out what you want and do your homework. VRBO/AirBnB can have a lot of potential if you want a vacation home you can rent out too but you have to be willing to do a LOT of cleaning and deal with people occasionally trashing your place with parties.

• Like 1