Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Do you guys own a smoker? I’m thinking about getting into it and buying a pitboss. I don’t need some giant one just big enough for my family. They seem to have good reviews and decent prices. 

I love mine. Char griller AKORN. 

52 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’ve had no experience grilling with charcoal. Seems like a pain in the butt with a smoker with the amount of times you’d have to reload the charcoal. 

No, this one does lump charcoal, and relighting it is easy. A 180 pack of fire starters is like $10 on Amazon. Make a nice pyramid and have 2-3 starters and it’s pretty easy. A pellet smoker is nice too though.

• Like 1

Ceramic grill owner here (Vision version) and using lump with that is great. Can smoke 16 lbs of pork butt and still have half of the load left after 10 hours. It also has a slot to use an electric lighter so it takes about 5 minutes to get the fire started and about 10 to be up to temp. Definitely need to learn the grill and adjust the top and bottom dials. You can smoke something one day at 225, make burgers at 400, then make pizza at 530 later. 

If you just want to smoke look into a pellet grill or electric box smoker. Lots of people love those and it is a set it and forget it. 

It took me about 3 cooks to learn how to use the charcoal grill from gas. Had the charcoal now for 5 years, never going back 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Speaking as a Millennial, Another recession within a decade or two of starting my career really gets my **** hard.

Sucks really bad. Graduated college in 05 and couldn’t find a job. Got one 1.5 years making min money. Fast forward to 08 and have to take a paycut. Retirement funds keep having huge swings and job markets are so crazy and a worry for what is going to happen the next 2 years. 

Having 3 of the worst financial situations since graduating HS in 00 and 1 could be on the horizon. 

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JDD said:

Ceramic grill owner here (Vision version) and using lump with that is great. Can smoke 16 lbs of pork butt and still have half of the load left after 10 hours. It also has a slot to use an electric lighter so it takes about 5 minutes to get the fire started and about 10 to be up to temp. Definitely need to learn the grill and adjust the top and bottom dials. You can smoke something one day at 225, make burgers at 400, then make pizza at 530 later. 

If you just want to smoke look into a pellet grill or electric box smoker. Lots of people love those and it is a set it and forget it. 

It took me about 3 cooks to learn how to use the charcoal grill from gas. Had the charcoal now for 5 years, never going back 

@sdrawkcab321 I also love my ceramic smoker and have noticed a significant taste difference with the lump charcoal as opposed to the briquettes. Pluses are zero added chemicals (I buy a 35 lb bag of FOGO lump on Amazon for ~$50, lasts all season and I smoke/grill a lot), the easy light fire starters and YouTube has been super helpful from anything from starting/extinguishing the fire, heat management, seasoning the grates properly, and cooking.

As @JDD said, I love mine because I can do both indirect smoking and direct grilling. I’ve done steaks seared at 600 degrees to ribs slow cooked at 225-275 with burgers in the middle. A $28 Amazon purchase of a Komodo stone deflector (you can even bake pizzas and cookies on the stone) was the only additional purchase to get you that versatility.

A few other accessories like a meat thermometer set with an app ($30-$35 on Amazon), hot gloves, meat gloves, and even some small disposable drip pans/tin foil and you’re basically ready to go.

If you want to even go further down the wormhole, you can buy black rock half circles for turning your smoker/grill into a black rock, poultry inserts for whole chickens and turkeys, or even rib racks for doing 3+ racks simultaneously. 

On 7/30/2022 at 6:54 AM, MWil23 said:

I just lost out on a rental property where I live (college town). I rent one spot and it’s a great setup and situation. In my opinion you have to figure out what you want and do your homework. VRBO/AirBnB can have a lot of potential if you want a vacation home you can rent out too but you have to be willing to do a LOT of cleaning and deal with people occasionally trashing your place with parties.

Im going for Hocking Hills, put a call into a real estate agent in the area this morning. We got tips from people we know who are now on their 3rd property down there in 2 years. The best part about that area is that they have cleaning/maintenance people that stop by the home regularly and basically do all the work for them and that is the route I want to take unless there is something major.

Im going to try and call the bank down there today and get more loan/interest rate info. Apparently they have special ''vacation property' loans that are only like 2.8% and only require 5% down as long as you live 40+ miles away from the residence.

For furnishing we were advised to go on Nerd Wallet and search for a 1yr 0% credit card to basically buy everything you need to furnish the place, so I guess I need to do that research as well.

Edited by AkronsWitness

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im going for Hocking Hills, put a call into a real estate agent in the area this morning. We got tips from people we know who are now on their 3rd property down there in 2 years. The best part about that area is that they have cleaning/maintenance people that stop by the home regularly and basically do all the work for them and that is the route I want to take unless there is something major.

Im going to try and call the bank down there today and get more loan/interest rate info. Apparently they have special ''vacation property' loans that are only like 2.8% and only require 5% down as long as you live 40+ miles away from the residence.

For furnishing we were advised to go on Nerd Wallet and search for a 1yr 0% credit card to basically buy everything you need to furnish the place, so I guess I need to do that research as well.

Be careful on HOA and Covenant restrictions. I had a friend get his **** stomped on by Hocking Hills in that regard.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Be careful on HOA and Covenant restrictions. I had a friend get his **** stomped on by Hocking Hills in that regard.

Just in regard to HOA fees or what? I feel like if there are covenant restrictions on the land that is something the real estate agent should be telling us, right?

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Just in regard to HOA fees or what? I feel like if there are covenant restrictions on the land that is something the real estate agent should be telling us, right?

Not just fees, but car traffic, rental restrictions, decorations, zoning, etc.

They should but all that is public record so make sure you ask and do your due diligence.

• Like 1