Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yep! Long story short he now has to ask for suggested donations and isn’t allowed to publicly advertise. 

Jesus that would suck, none of that was told to us by the family we have that bought a few places down there recently. I wonder if they even know, but too late I guess. Last thing I want to do is buy a place then realize we cant even rent it out as a vacation home because of all the rules/guidelines.

One thing they did tell us is that whatever place we do get, has to be no more than a 15-20 min drive from the hiking trails/old mans cave/ash cave/rock house/ect. So that sort of already restricts the area we can look in.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Jesus that would suck, none of that was told to us by the family we have that bought a few places down there recently. I wonder if they even know, but too late I guess. Last thing I want to do is buy a place then realize we cant even rent it out as a vacation home because of all the rules/guidelines.

One thing they did tell us is that whatever place we do get, has to be no more than a 15-20 min drive from the hiking trails/old mans cave/ash cave/rock house/ect. So that sort of already restricts the area we can look in.

It could always depend on what section of HH you have, I’m not sure. I’d just highly recommend reading through it and having an agent you can trust do their due diligence. That’s what you’re paying them for. Plus his was a new build and some of those old cabins are grandfathered in before zoning.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It could always depend on what section of HH you have, I’m not sure. I’d just highly recommend reading through it and having an agent you can trust do their due diligence. That’s what you’re paying them for. Plus his was a new build and some of those old cabins are grandfathered in before zoning.

Good point, we looked into doing a new build because property down there is fairly cheap but holy crap is it expensive.

I got a quote from a log cabin builder to just build a 1,100-1,300 sq foot 2 bedroom cabin with a loft. They quotes me around 230k just for the build. No septic, no water, no electric, ect. Just the log cabin itself lol

Thats when we realized that we are probably going to look for a established property that might need some TLC. Spend a month or two updating it and then putting it on Air BnB

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Fun times ahead

China has been waiting 80 years for the right opportunity and this just might be it unfortunately, albeit no idea what we would do since we’ve been deliberately ambiguous on Taiwan for 50+ years and do not support De Jure independence for them.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

China has been waiting 80 years for the right opportunity and this just might be it unfortunately, albeit no idea what we would do since we’ve been deliberately ambiguous on Taiwan for 50+ years and do not support De Jure independence for them.

economy tanking, make a war to bring everyone together. Classic death rattle of an evil regime 

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

economy tanking, make a war to bring everyone together. Classic death rattle of an evil regime 

Not saying I'm an expert, but I've been watching a lot of news regarding China (don't know when I started going down this rabbit hole thanks to youtube's algorithm) and I'm genuinely curious how this would turn out for them.

Most of the videos I watched just shows how corrupt that government is. There are countless projects that are unfinished due to money and many projects literally falling apart because they found out that construction was cheapened so that whoever got to pocket a lot of the money. That and their youth movement is literally "lay down and rot" since they've realized it doesn't matter how hard you work you don't go anywhere unless you are connected to a government official. Would their youths really be motivated to fight a country that many are now asking for help publicly due to their government's failure? 

I'd be interested to see if they also shortchanged their military like Russia has as I've seen reports of them still having really old gear (I'd imagine the cost is crazy to support a military of their size, especially since I'm sure government officials are also pocketing military budgets). IMO it doesn't seem like the right time for China to try to be postering considering their economy and going to War with the US will likely make it worst due the influence we have with a lot of their trade partners. That and most Western countries polls pretty much show that the distrust of Xi's China has risen drastically with the videos on how they treat their civilians literally like peasants. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onizuka said:

Not saying I'm an expert, but I've been watching a lot of news regarding China (don't know when I started going down this rabbit hole thanks to youtube's algorithm) and I'm genuinely curious how this would turn out for them.

Most of the videos I watched just shows how corrupt that government is. There are countless projects that are unfinished due to money and many projects literally falling apart because they found out that construction was cheapened so that whoever got to pocket a lot of the money. That and their youth movement is literally "lay down and rot" since they've realized it doesn't matter how hard you work you don't go anywhere unless you are connected to a government official. Would their youths really be motivated to fight a country that many are now asking for help publicly due to their government's failure? 

I'd be interested to see if they also shortchanged their military like Russia has as I've seen reports of them still having really old gear (I'd imagine the cost is crazy to support a military of their size, especially since I'm sure government officials are also pocketing military budgets). IMO it doesn't seem like the right time for China to try to be postering considering their economy and going to War with the US will likely make it worst due the influence we have with a lot of their trade partners. That and most Western countries polls pretty much show that the distrust of Xi's China has risen drastically with the videos on how they treat their civilians literally like peasants. 

I too have heard their military is both corrupt and also ineeffective, each department siloed from each other. But that doesnt account for ego- Ping may think that he has a chance and that is what matters. Also with everything tanking he might see himself in a postion where he has little left to lose. 

Its not because I beleive in their leaders ability to competently wage a war, rather it is my belief in the corruption of people, and espeically regimes that give themselves over to corruption more thna Western ones (not that we are shinng lights) but the Kremlin and the CCP are more corrupt than Wester forms of government. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Jesus Christ

I hope this is fake 

This occurs quite regularly- we constantly send ships and strike groups through the area, as does Australia and the UK. Pelosi going there is certainly a poke in the eye to China but the likelihood of them launching a violent military response is low. This is the peak of their annual military training cycle so they could do some aggressive actions but a full on attack will likely only occur if one side or the other has an accident provoking a response in kind. Two-three years from now, it will be a much different story given the capabilities they are developing and producing.