Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Attn Nerds. Shameless plug vol. 2 incoming (Zell please just let me have this, Im trying to help fund the purchase of our Hocking Hills AirBnB and the state doesnt pay teachers jack so we have to do this)

Support my wifes etsy shop for the upcoming football season. She made Browns/Ohio St. dog bandanas and that would be great swag for your dog on Sundays. She also made travel bags, dog toys, ect.

If you dont have a dog, its okay-- they would make for a great unique gift for a friend/relative you know that does.

Only 13 bucks. Help a brother out. I'm determined to get 1 sale off of how many hours I put in posting in this cesspool of a website 😁

https://tinyurl.com/ytmuvcj6

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Attn Nerds. Shameless plug vol. 2 incoming (Zell please just let me have this, Im trying to help fund the purchase of our Hocking Hills AirBnB and the state doesnt pay teachers jack so we have to do this)

Support my wifes etsy shop for the upcoming football season. She made Browns/Ohio St. dog bandanas and that would be great swag for your dog on Sundays. She also made travel bags, dog toys, ect.

If you dont have a dog, its okay-- they would make for a great unique gift for a friend/relative you know that does.

Only 13 bucks. Help a brother out. I'm determined to get 1 sale off of how many hours I put in posting in this cesspool of a website 😁

Who?

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I read an article today that a 6 year Ohio teacher quit his job to work at Walmart because it paid more.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I read an article today that a 6 year Ohio teacher quit his job to work at Walmart because it paid more.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. The amount of of crap she has to do, hours she has to work, with the level of experience she has for the pay that she gets is quite blasphemous 

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. The amount of of crap she has to do, hours she has to work, with the level of experience she has for the pay that she gets is quite blasphemous 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11067007/Ohio-teacher-quits-job-manager-WALMART-pays-12-000-more.html

Pays him $12K more annually per year before bonuses with the possibility of advancement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11067007/Ohio-teacher-quits-job-manager-WALMART-pays-12-000-more.html

Pays him $12K more annually per year before bonuses with the possibility of advancement.j

Jesus. And I bet they aren't required to go home after 40+ hour work weeks and continue to 'lesson plan' for another 5-10 hours per week as well.

There is a reason we started a side hustle to try to bring more money in

She could easily earn more money being a nanny than a actual elementary school teacher with a college degree and masters.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Jesus. And I bet they aren't required to go home after 40+ hour work weeks and continue to 'lesson plan' for another 5-10 hours per week as well.

There is a reason we started a side hustle to try to bring more money in

She could easily earn more money being a nanny than a actual elementary school teacher with a college degree and masters.

There are reasons I’ve upped my side hustle game. When I retire it will be because I want to, not hanging on by a thread another ______ years like everyone else.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There are reasons I’ve upped my side hustle game. When I retire it will be because I want to, not hanging on by a thread another ______ years like everyone else.

Im watching a few family members go through the retirement/selling of their business right now at 63 years old and hellllll nooo I wont do that. It seems stressful, miserable, ect. Its like a 2nd midlife crisis.

Thats half the reason we want to do the AirBnB thing. I saw that and said no thanks, Im not retiring at 63-65. I need to do something, anything, to help get there quicker than that so that I can still have 20-40 years of life to live post-retirement.

So we started the dog bandana/toys business in COVID because of wages and now we are looking into real estate out of fear of a late retirement. If it fails miserably, then it fails miserably but at least I can say I tried.

What do they say? Scared money doesnt make money? Thats where Im at with it and I hate gambling lol

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im watching a few family members go through the retirement/selling of their business right now at 63 years old and hellllll nooo I wont do that. It seems stressful, miserable, ect. Its like a 2nd midlife crisis.

Thats half the reason we want to do the AirBnB thing. I saw that and said no thanks, Im not retiring at 63-65. I need to do something, anything, to help get there quicker than that so that I can still have 20-40 years of life to live post-retirement.

So we started the dog bandana/toys business in COVID because of wages and now we are looking into real estate out of fear of a late retirement. If it fails miserably, then it fails miserably but at least I can say I tried.

What do they say? Scared money doesnt make money? Thats where Im at with it and I hate gambling lol

It also takes money to make money and if you look at real estate like any other diversified holding and utilize it appropriately, you can basically sell it like a covered call (renting) while it goes up in value like a commodity.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It also takes money to make money and if you look at real estate like any other diversified holding and utilize it appropriately, you can basically sell it like a covered call (renting) while it goes up in value like a commodity.

Sure, that and the fact that every 'wealthy' person I have seen is because of either investments or real estate. You dont get to retire at 45 because you worked a really good 9-5 with your degree, right?

The one people we know who have done short term rental properties are on their 3rd home in 2 years and make enough already for both of them to work part-time at 35 years old. 

Where do I sign

giphy.gif

Edited by AkronsWitness

15 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Like 10k+ more iirc.

Sad state of affairs tbh.  Nowadays in Florida all you need to teach is to have decided to marry a person who decided to join the military.  That’s a helluva qualification…

I’m sure that will work out well. 

eta, kept scrolling and you posted the number lol

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like 10k+ more iirc.

Sad state of affairs tbh.  Nowadays in Florida all you need to teach is to have decided to marry a person who decided to join the military.  That’s a helluva qualification…

Wait until you find out the qualifications needed to become a congressman or women in charge of making decisions for the rest of the country lol

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like 10k+ more iirc.

I can't complain, my district pays me fairly, but I also played the continuing education game. I'm over a Masters +45 graduate hours and I'm finally at the point of my career where I'm making fair money. My first 5-6 years were tough at under $45K with a masters. It's definitely a "long game", and one of the many reasons why most teachers quit within their first 5 years.

The downside is, I'm now "stuck" at my school for the rest of my career, because no other school will pay me the salary that I'm making now. There's no "market value" for teachers, which is a shame. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

I can't complain, my district pays me fairly, but I also played the continuing education game. I'm over a Masters +45 graduate hours and I'm finally at the point of my career where I'm making fair money. My first 5-6 years were tough at under $45K with a masters. It's definitely a "long game", and one of the many reasons why most teachers quit within their first 5 years.

The downside is, I'm now "stuck" at my school for the rest of my career, because no other school will pay me the salary that I'm making now. There's no "market value" for teachers, which is a shame. 

Thats the same situation my wife is in. She wants a new job with 6 years of exp. and her Masters but she makes good enough money right now that going to a public school would be a downgrade. So she is stuck riding those 2k yearly cost of living raises.

I feel like there either needs to be a serious restructuring of the education system in how teachers are compensated (which every president candidate ever says the will fix and never do) OR 20 year old college kids should be more informed on finances in how they relate to each degree. 

Playing the "I want to be a teacher because I love helping and teaching kids" card only lasts for a few years into the job until you realize you are 25 years old making 32k per year and cant afford anything.