Week 8: New York Giants GDT

Ghostnote

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Thanks. Didn't know it was up yet. Will check it out when I get a moment. Sprinkle has been a breath of fresh air in the running game this year

He's kinda becoming one of my fav guys. AND I like Perrine, I'm not giving up on him just yet. Then there is another under the radar - Josh Harvey-Clemons is emerging. Stroman-thrown into the fire - yeah he gets beat, looks bad but he competing. Roullier, round 6 starting center, Ioannidis, round 5 stud ! Moreau in the 3rd round . Nicholson in round 4. Who says we're dysfunctional ! >:(

Just now, RSkinGM said:

He's kinda becoming one of my fav guys. AND I like Perrine, I'm not giving up on him just yet. Then there is another under the radar - Josh Harvey-Clemons is emerging. Stroman-thrown into the fire - yeah he gets beat, looks bad but he competing. Roullier, round 6 starting center, Ioannidis, round 5 stud ! Moreau in the 3rd round . Nicholson in round 4. Who says we're dysfunctional ! >:(

MVP has been good for Samaje. When I've seen him run this year, he's been decisive and hitting the holes instead of being too complacent and cautious. I think sitting behind a future HOFer showing you how its done is gonna rub off on you

53 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Man I don't even want to think Allen would screw this also and let the Greek go.  Seriously you don't break up that DL when you have 3 young studs playing at this level.  

Honestly, I don't see how they keep him after 2019. He's playing like The Man and will want to be paid accordingly.

If he's a RFA this offseason, I tag him at a first round level and hope someone bites.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Honestly, I don't see how they keep him after 2019. He's playing like The Man and will want to be paid accordingly.

If he's a RFA this offseason, I tag him at a first round level and hope someone bites.

This front office man, they are so freaking stupid.  you can't tell me we couldn't sign him to a resonable contract before the start of this year when last year  before he got hurt showed he can play.  I am so sick with loosing good players.  We lost our QB AND gave up a 3rd and Fuller to try and replace him and so many others like Garcon who I though we should have tried to keep.

3 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

This front office man, they are so freaking stupid.  you can't tell me we couldn't sign him to a resonable contract before the start of this year when last year  before he got hurt showed he can play.  I am so sick with loosing good players.  We lost our QB AND gave up a 3rd and Fuller to try and replace him and so many others like Garcon who I though we should have tried to keep.

Honestly, most organizations don't do what you just asked the Redskins to do. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Honestly, most organizations don't do what you just asked the Redskins to do. 

Also the player has to be willing to take a cheaper deal for more money right now. We did this With CT3.

24 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

It's not so much the Redskins not wanting to keep him as much as it is they don't have room for him plus him wanting to get paid.

Unless they get creative and move one of the three studs to a LDE position and switch to a four man front full time, how would it work with Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis wanting to get paid/get major playing time?

Right now, the Redskins have an embarrassment of riches of cheap good/great players on the defensive line. Problem is that those players are going to want to change "cheap" to "got paid!" (and understandably so). There's only so much money you can put there before getting cap strapped. So, the team is going to have to figure out who they're going to keep long term and who they are going to let walk. Due to the fact that they've invested a pair of first round picks in Allen and Payne, the odds say that those two will be the ones who stay (the fact that they can keep them at relatively cheap prices for another three years doesn't hurt).

Again, the Redskins would absolutely love to keep Ioannidis. This isn't the "they don't value him appropriately" problem; it's the "they just cannot absorb paying top dollar for three defensive linemen who all effectively play in the same position" problem. If Ioannidis inexplicably takes an below-market deal to stay in Washington, the Redskins will zip over to wherever he is to get him to sign that deal. He's not going to do that though (or if he does, his agent should get drummed out of the league as not convincing his client to hold out for better offers).

Now, if they do move to a full time four man front and utilize all three guys(*), then they might keep him. The problem is that still is going to be a significant investment, but it could very easily be a long term position of strength.

(*) The main issues with going to a full-time four man front are:

1. What do you do with Kerrigan? Due to his hearing issue in his left ear, he only plays the left side of the line. Do you try and move Allen to RDE? He doesn't have the speed, but could he do it with brute force? Move Allen to LDE and make Kerrigan a full-time standup WILL? The RDE becomes a massive need then (still is probably a high need).
  2. If you do go with a Kerrigan-Ioannidis-Payne-Allen front, the linebacking corps becomes weak really quickly. You'd need a WILL and a SAM right now, unless you plan to move Foster to the SAM? Still need a WILL, though.
  3. You would need a creative defensive mind to make this work. We don't have that, so all of the other stuff is somewhat moot.

36 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

you can't tell me we couldn't sign him to a resonable contract before the start of this year when last year  before he got hurt showed he can play.

Actually, I can tell you this very thing. Per the CBA, the first time the Redskins and Ioannidis can negotiate a new contract will be after this season (after his third season).

30 minutes ago, rizzy said:

Also the player has to be willing to take a cheaper deal for more money right now. We did this With CT3.

At the same time, I think Thompson and his agent rightfully realized that they would likely get the most money by staying in DC, given Thompson's injury history.

Given Ioannidis' play, this will not be the case for him.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

At the same time, I think Thompson and his agent rightfully realized that they would likely get the most money by staying in DC, given Thompson's injury history.

Given Ioannidis' play, this will not be the case for him.

You may be right, I was just using him as an example. However the way CT3 played last year if he had stayed healthy seeing the contract Mckinnon just got I don't know if that's true.

Just now, rizzy said:

You may be right, I was just using him as an example. However the way CT3 played last year if he had stayed healthy seeing the contract Mckinnon just got I don't know if that's true.

Possibly. However, Thompson has had a lengthy injury history, but played well in spurts. While it is possible that he could have found a comparable or better contract out on the open market, it would have been risky. The Redskins gave him enough to say "you know, I'm fine with this" and not taking a chance.

So far, Ioannidis has only had the broken hand and has been playing like a man possessed.

14 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

You mean to tell me, they would not sign a promising player when there is one year left on his contract if they feel he can improve?  Seriously?

Seriously. Matt knows his best play is to wait. The skins won’t break the bank yet. Happens all the time. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/10/31/18029646/skins-stats-snaps-redskins-giants-defense-st

Tight End Defense- New York tight ends Evan Engram and Rhett Ellison received a combined 10 targets, but caught just 5 passes of those passes for 25 yards and a touchdown.

The Redskins have not allowed any of the seven tight end corps they’ve faced this season to gain over 54 total yards and they are only giving up an average of 44 yards per game to the position. Last season seven different tight ends had at least 59 receiving yards against the Skins and tight end groups averaged 61 yards per game against the team.

Washington has allowed 309 yards to the position in 2018, which ranks 10th in the league; the 970 yards given up to tight ends in 2017 ranked 29th.

say whaaaaaaa?

Archived