? Week 8: Bucs (3-3) @ Bengals (4-3)

bucsfan333

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Pleasantly surprised they kept Duke Johnson from going crazy last week.  It looked like a competent defense. I think seeing Kwon going down did have an effect on the defense.  I remember when Cadillac hurt his knee again against Oakland, the team was mentally lost.  Heck, they lost to Jamarcus Russell at home with a chance to go to the playoffs.  I m glad Duffner is on the sidelines, I think it will continue to make a difference

The cherry on top of the epic meltdown that was 2008.

At 9-3, I was convinced we were going to the Superbowl.

46 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

The cherry on top of the epic meltdown that was 2008.

At 9-3, I was convinced we were going to the Superbowl.

Brutal end to the Golden Age of Bucs football.  13 point favorites at home, I believe.  Even when they lost, the Eagles had to beat the Cowboys at 4, which they did.  

I was so beaten down watching the Mike Smith defense for 2 plus years.  At least there is a glimmer of hope with Duffner taking over.  Actually looking forward to Sunday.

13 hours ago, TB Doug22 said:

Michael Clayton has been saying this most weeks on 620wdae overtime show. He’s always questioning Koetter’s coaching. 

Yeah I mean it’s easy to question but Jameis has always been prone to turnovers back at Florida state. 

So it’s not like his history is protecting the football. 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Yeah I mean it’s easy to question but Jameis has always been prone to turnovers back at Florida state. 

No, but wouldn't a smart HC put a player, someone with a known issue of throwing picks, into a system that helps hide that? Any coach worth a damn capitalizes on all players strengths and helps hide their weaknesses, regardless of their scheme.  That's what got Smith fired and could start pushing Koetter out the door as well.  

19 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

No, but wouldn't a smart HC put a player, someone with a known issue of throwing picks, into a system that helps hide that? Any coach worth a damn capitalizes on all players strengths and helps hide their weaknesses, regardless of their scheme.  That's what got Smith fired and could start pushing Koetter out the door as well.  

This is kinda hilarious to think you can control Jameis not to make mistakes. 

Im trying to find the article where Todd Monken states they’ve been telling him over and over on his decision making and it still happens. Honestly you want to get a new coach and have the same result? That’s what happened with freeman. 

If you want my honest opinion, last week Jameis played awful. The defense played ok to having bad moments. The browns gave it away. 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

This is kinda hilarious to think you can control Jameis not to make mistakes. 

Im trying to find the article where Todd Monken states they’ve been telling him over and over on his decision making and it still happens. Honestly you want to get a new coach and have the same result? That’s what happened with freeman. 

If you want my honest opinion, last week Jameis played awful. The defense played ok to having bad moments. The browns gave it away. 

While you can't control Jameis to make mistakes, but when you consistently run an offense that makes him throw further down field, then those issues become magnified.  Look at the system they are running for Luck who is getting worked back in, 6.26 YPA, Newton 6.8, and if we are gonna use someone that plays very similar to Winston in Stafford, he's at 7.5.  Winston is at 8 and Fitz was at 10.51.  All this puts us 2nd in the league with 9 YPA with only the Rams being ahead of us at 9.3.  So again, yes he will make mistakes that is who he is, when the game becomes tight or rushes he makes mistakes. 

Not that this is the end all to it but the fact that he's the 5th with only Trubisky, Goff, Mahomes, and Watson being younger, excluding rookies. Baker is only 1 year younger than Winston. 

Main point is that you adjust your scheme to fit the players, as a coach for years I don't run a single system and expect the kids to fit it every year.  I study their strengths and weaknesses and fit the system that we as a team capitalizes on the strengths.  To me that's the only way you can make a team work when you don't get to recruit like a college system can.   

2 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

While you can't control Jameis to make mistakes, but when you consistently run an offense that makes him throw further down field, then those issues become magnified.  Look at the system they are running for Luck who is getting worked back in, 6.26 YPA, Newton 6.8, and if we are gonna use someone that plays very similar to Winston in Stafford, he's at 7.5.  Winston is at 8 and Fitz was at 10.51.  All this puts us 2nd in the league with 9 YPA with only the Rams being ahead of us at 9.3.  So again, yes he will make mistakes that is who he is, when the game becomes tight or rushes he makes mistakes. 

Not that this is the end all to it but the fact that he's the 5th with only Trubisky, Goff, Mahomes, and Watson being younger, excluding rookies. Baker is only 1 year younger than Winston. 

Main point is that you adjust your scheme to fit the players, as a coach for years I don't run a single system and expect the kids to fit it every year.  I study their strengths and weaknesses and fit the system that we as a team capitalizes on the strengths.  To me that's the only way you can make a team work when you don't get to recruit like a college system can.   

Preach.

And we've built this offense specifically for Jameis. Koetter has been in his ear since day one. 

2 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

We have never seen Jameis in an offense that isn't one dimensional.  The opposing D knows for the bucs to win they are gonna throw the ball 40 to 50 times. 

What does all that throwing mean.  The d can completely forget about the run.  They can rush the qb full bore and not have to worry about watching for the run.  D line can speed rush up the field not worrying that the rb might slip by them, putting more pressure on the qb forcing bad decisions.  LB are not held close to the line (which opens up space for receivers).  DB don't have to pause before breaking deep to cover the deep ball (which is why we haven't seen it really since week 2).  There is a huge ripple effect that not having a running game causes.  It needs to be fixed and fast for this team and Jameis to live up to its potential. 

Archived