Giants trade Eli Apple to Saints

49erurtaza

Just now, SmittyBacall said:
2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So clearly they couldn’t trade for Peterson...either because he’s not available or couldn’t get the compensation.  

The asking price is probably outrageous. 

that or they just couldn't swing it with the lack of draft picks..not having a 1st or 3rd next year limited what they could do.

Especially vs some of the other teams rumored to be in on him

11 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

Apple hasn't been too bad this year. They played the Giants so they've watched him

He looked like he turned a corner to start the year. Had a really good, borderline great weeks 1 and 2. Then he got hurt and was out for a few weeks, and since he has come back he has just been ok. He has been much more active and willing on special teams recently, but his lack of pass breakups since he has been back is pretty concerning.

Good deal for both teams, Saints and Giants. Apple is very athletic and has some plays where he is able to recover and make a great play on the ball that makes you say "wow", but those are way too far and in between. Maybe a change of scenery helps him out. He also gets injured pretty often. The compensation isn't bad. 

This proves that the Giants are sellers right now, not buyers. Thinking the Giants are going to make a move for Derek Carr is dumb IMO.

Honestly wish the Giants could have included the other Eli in the deal too...

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

Basically what I thought hte compensation would be.  He's got all the talent in the world, part of why he was drafted 10th overall, but for whatever reason he just didn't do well with the Giants.  I honestly haven't followed them so who knows, but a change of scenery might be just what he needed, plus he has a lot of former teammates on the team which should help him feel more comfortable and focused.

He's got a lot of physical talent for sure. He is built and moves exactly like you want your corner too. He plays very dumb and with 0 confidence though. Those 2 things and his leftover college tendencies to play the player instead of the ball result in penalties and missed opportunities. Thing is, he is still young so he could still be coached out of some of those. He's still got potential to be good. Right now though, he definitely isn't.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He's got a lot of physical talent for sure. He is built and moves exactly like you want your corner too. He plays very dumb and with 0 confidence though. Those 2 things and his leftover college tendencies to play the player instead of the ball result in penalties and missed opportunities. Thing is, he is still young so he could still be coached out of some of those. He's still got potential to be good. Right now though, he definitely isn't.

Sounds like he'll fit right in with our secondary then lol

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I mean he was amazing in college with few flaws, but whatever happened with the Giants just didn't work.  I think having 4 of his former teammates with him, Lattimore and Bell in the backfield, Thomas at WR and JT on the PS, will do a lot to help get him comfortable with the team and make sure he is focused and keeping outside distractions away.  I think I remember posting in the Saints forum at one point about trying to acquire Apple for a late round pick after his 2017 season because the talent is there, he might have just needed a change of scenery which seems to happen for players from time to time.

Great low risk high reward trade by NO.

Not sure I love it for NYG because this was only year 2 right?  CB's sometimes take 2-3 years to hit their stride.  Either they gave up too soon or Apple was a getting back to his locker room antics and they took what they could get.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I mean he was amazing in college with few flaws, but whatever happened with the Giants just didn't work.  I think having 4 of his former teammates with him, Lattimore and Bell in the backfield, Thomas at WR and JT on the PS, will do a lot to help get him comfortable with the team and make sure he is focused and keeping outside distractions away.  I think I remember posting in the Saints forum at one point about trying to acquire Apple for a late round pick after his 2017 season because the talent is there, he might have just needed a change of scenery which seems to happen for players from time to time.

Was he? I don't think he was ever even the best CB on his own team. He was a top 10 pick, but he was the reach of the first round in 2016. 

Archived