Saints trade for CB Eli apple

Dome

For a 4th and a 2020 7th that's a great deal for both sides.  He wasn't working out for the Giants, not due to a lack of talent, so maybe he needed a change of scenery.  Plus rejoining Vonn Bell and Marshon Lattimore in the backfield as well as Michael Thomas on offense might be a good way to get him both comfortable with the team and help keep him focused on what needs to happen.

1 minute ago, navysaintsfan said:

We are becoming the New Orleans State Buckeyes :D

He's obviously not Peterson, but it's not like he doesn't have talent. I'm hoping the change of scenery and being around former college teammates puts his head where it should be.

O-H! ;) 

We all know that our current secondary was not going to get us to the Super Bowl. This is certainly a win-win situation, or a win-win-win situation, if you will.

Apple is a big guy, and he brings the same learned game that Marshon Lattimore has. he's not nearly as good as Lattimore, but those two together could be pretty scary. And the price is right!

7 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

He was absolutely awful last year...

He had a good rookie year though and this year seems to have had a strong start though turned into just good.  PFF actually has him slightly over Lattimore, though Lattimore is pretty low in their rankings.  Doing some reading quickly I saw that there was some family issues etc that might've caused Apple to have that bad season.  For what we paid for him, he can't be worse than what we have.

I'll just quote myself from the other thread:

Eli Apple
57th ranked corner overall by PFF (64.1)
75th in yards per coverage snap
7 total missed tackles (T-8th in NFL)
246/297 total defensive snaps have come from the LCB spot

Saints current LCB: Ken Crawley
111th ranked corner overall by PFF (47.9)
113th in yards per coverage snap
2 total missed tackles
201/348 total defensive snaps have come from the LCB spot

Now I know PFF is sketchy, but this paints a picture of a guy who is definitely not PP, but will do enough to hold down the LCB opposite Latt.

The guy is less than a year older than Latt. I will be the world Payton and co., spoke to Urban Meyer about Apple and his issues. He was terrible last season, but apparently this season he has been better.

Price is decent for a guy still on his rookie deal, maybe a change of scenery will help. Gosh I hope it works out. 

Archived