Saints trade for CB Eli apple

Dome

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

So Ken Crawley in the slot? He’s a surprising strong tackler, he could do well there. Maybe PJ can give Coleman some plays off at safety  

Can Crawley cover Rudolph? We're going up against a pretty good triple threat with Thieland, Diggs, and Rudolph. Let alone the Vikings running game and Cousins' ability to run and throw. Our secondary just can't cover that. 

I like the move for what we paid for him. Low risk potentially high reward. If he can be even average for us that would be huge going forward. I'm curious if Patrick Robinson will be able to come back later this year. If so, we may actually have a decent looking secondary.

The ONLY thing that makes this trade okay is that we didn't give up much. He played poorly last season and hasn't been very good this season. I didn't see anything last night against Atlanta that would make me think he's an upgrade over Crawley (who has been playing a little better). 

3 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

The ONLY thing that makes this trade okay is that we didn't give up much. He played poorly last season and hasn't been very good this season. I didn't see anything last night against Atlanta that would make me think he's an upgrade over Crawley (who has been playing a little better). 

Even if he isn’t an upgrade, he’s depth. And we need depth too. A 4th is great for high potential depth 

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_15859c4e-d704-11e8-baf6-07b8a51a5834.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Nick Underhill with an awesome article about Apple and his fit here. Some things that jumped out at me:

Apple has since atoned through public statements and, seemingly, in the locker room, as everything has been silent since his suspension. He’s also played well, allowing 18 receptions on 29 targets for 225 yards, which is good for an 86.1 pass rating when targeted. Crawley, by comparison, has surrendered a 154.8 passer rating against, according to Pro Football Focus.

Apple is comfortable both pressing and playing deep zones. During games against Jacksonville and Dallas to start the season, he showed off his ability in both areas. On one play against the Jaguars, he threw a jam on wide receiver Donte Moncrief, shadowed him up the sideline, and then broke up a back-shoulder throw. Later, in Cover 3, he had an impressive play where he carried a receiver up the sideline, dropped down to switch when the safety picked up his initial mark, and then sat between the two routes to create bracket coverage on both players when another defensive player picked up the underneath route.

Philadelphia wide receiver Nelson Agholor beat Apple for a 58-yard touchdown, but it came after Carson Wentz held the ball for four seconds and the safety bit on an underneath route. Still, Apple shouldn’t have let Agholor get behind him, so the blame also falls on his shoulders.

Philadelphia threw at Apple 11 times in that game. The six other receptions he gave up gained just a little over 50 yards. He also broke up two passes to wide receiver Alshon Jeffrey. On his second-to-last target of the game, Apple successfully sorted out a bunch formation, which is something New Orleans has struggled with at times this season and broke up a pass to tight end Zach Ertz.

He's no Peterson, but anything is nearl an upgrade at this point.  

Someone said he looked bad against the Falcons, but Jesus, how bad did we look against the Falcons?  

The Giants have been trash, so I won't judge him based on that.  Their offense can't even stay on the field longer than 3 downs.

Archived