Fire Sale Time

Acgott

17 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

so uh....what are the odds sterling shepard or OBJ are on the block? lol

Lol. 2/3 of the only guys actually playing well on offense. 0%, but nice try.

I think Dalvin Tomlinson and Evan Engram will be on the block, and we may be able to net a 1st for Engram from the Chargers or a team looking to make a run that want a weapon at TE. I get the feeling Engram doesn't really fit what Shurmur wants in a TE. I can't think of anyone else though; Eli Manning can't get traded. Vernon has looked good, but maybe we can unload his salary? Collins isn't getting used properly, maybe he is on the block? Jackrabbit can't get moved- salary is too high and he isn't playing well enough. BJ Goodson for a 7th? We don't really have much to offer; a lot of our young talent was acquired in this past draft and they aren't going anywhere. Barkley, Hernandez, Hill, Carter are all playing well and were just drafted by the current regime. They are part of the rebuilding process.

EDIT: And I agree @Acgott, better late than never. I'm glad we are getting this started now. Shows a real grounded grasp of what the reality is. The FO set out to make one last run before the season, can see it obviously isn't going to happen, and started making moves to rebuild now.

Man, I wish the Giants had flipped Eli Apple for Teddy Bridgewater. Hopefully Lauletta can get a few games and if we can sign Teddy in the offseason, they can duke it out. Dedicate this 2019 offseason solely to fixing the lines. Draft Ed Oliver and Beau Benzschawel or David Edwards at the top of round 2. 

I legitimately feel for guys like Sterling Shepard and Landon Collins that are still out there playing hard. I hope all this losing doesn't poison them.

35 minutes ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Man, I wish the Giants had flipped Eli Apple for Teddy Bridgewater. Hopefully Lauletta can get a few games and if we can sign Teddy in the offseason, they can duke it out. Dedicate this 2019 offseason solely to fixing the lines. Draft Ed Oliver and Beau Benzschawel or David Edwards at the top of round 2. 

I legitimately feel for guys like Sterling Shepard and Landon Collins that are still out there playing hard. I hope all this losing doesn't poison them.

I'm really not sure where all this Bridgewater love has come from? He is an average QB. His best year he threw 14 TD and 9 INT. He is a game manager.

Sad to see Snacks go, especially for such poor value. DT is one of the premium positions in this league and he's a top end player in his prime. We couldnt at least get a day 2 pick?

On the bright side, it shows this team is not deluded about their talent level and they are willing to do whatever it takes to turn this franchise around. Even if it's making some tough decisions.

My main concern is that this is a clear signal to the rest of the team that we are rebuilding and don't care about winning this season. That is a bit dangerous and usually sets the culture of the team back.

24 minutes ago, w4rrior723 said:

Sad to see Snacks go, especially for such poor value. DT is one of the premium positions in this league and he's a top end player in his prime. We couldnt at least get a day 2 pick?

On the bright side, it shows this team is not deluded about their talent level and they are willing to do whatever it takes to turn this franchise around. Even if it's making some tough decisions.

My main concern is that this is a clear signal to the rest of the team that we are rebuilding and don't care about winning this season. That is a bit dangerous and usually sets the culture of the team back.

Gettleman and Shurmur put such a high priority on locker room presence and getting the right guys in there that I think we don't have to worry about this too much, thank god. Losing Snacks really sucks, both from an on and off field perspective, but I completely understand it. I expect Jackrabbit to be gone soon as well. The 2019 draft is shaping up to be the most important draft for this franchise in a long, long time.

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

And there goes Harrison. Traded to the Lions for a 5th rounder. That's a major blunder by us. Hes worth minimum 3rd or a 2nd for a top flight run stuffer

If he was cheaper and younger, absolutely. The big contract and age plays a huge factor in trade negotiations. This was done mostly for cap relief. We could have maybe gotten a higher pick if we waited a little longer, but obviously the priority was on cap relief. We get to see more of BJ Hill now.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If he was cheaper and younger, absolutely. The big contract and age plays a huge factor in trade negotiations. This was done mostly for cap relief. We could have maybe gotten a higher pick if we waited a little longer, but obviously the priority was on cap relief. We get to see more of BJ Hill now.

Ya the cap relief will be huge next off season. I really hope we able to retain some of guys whom are entering FA. To convince them to stay is gonna be a monumental task now if dont pay up. 

3 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Ya the cap relief will be huge next off season. I really hope we able to retain some of guys whom are entering FA. To convince them to stay is gonna be a monumental task now if dont pay up. 

The only notable FAs we have after this year are Rosas, Wynn, and Landon Collins. Rosas and Wynn have both been playing really well, seem to be liked by the current coaching staff, and should be cheap so they will hopefully resign. I imagine Landon will stick around as well with all of the cap space we have and the S market being dead.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

The only notable FAs we have after this year are Rosas, Wynn, and Landon Collins. Rosas and Wynn have both been playing really well, seem to be liked by the current coaching staff, and should be cheap so they will hopefully resign. I imagine Landon will stick around as well with all of the cap space we have and the S market being dead.

Ya Wynn is super underrated. And Rosas has become established at this point. He missed 1 FG all year and it was only because it was like 1-2 yds short. Not wide right / left. I wonder now what direction we go if Herbert stays in school. There was some reports that he may not come out in 2019. If thats the case, i can see us trading down from the top of the round to stock pile picks. Knowing Gettleman and knowing this team needs alot of help, i can see this happening contingent upon Herbert. 

1 minute ago, Giants4eva said:

Ya Wynn is super underrated. And Rosas has become established at this point. He missed 1 FG all year and it was only because it was like 1-2 yds short. Not wide right / left. I wonder now what direction we go if Herbert stays in school. There was some reports that he may not come out in 2019. If thats the case, i can see us trading down from the top of the round to stock pile picks. Knowing Gettleman and knowing this team needs alot of help, i can see this happening contingent upon Herbert. 

I think the 'gathering a lot of picks' is happening now rather than during the draft by trading down. We are without a 3rd right now, but we've got a couple 4ths, a couple 5ths and a couple 7ths and that is before compensatory picks. This team has enough holes that if Herbert and Haskins don't declare and we are picking top 2, you take the top lineman, offensive or defensive, and feel good about it. Bosa, Oliver, Jonah Williams are studs, especially the former 2. I'm a big proponent of acquiring Kyle Sloter this offseason to challenge Lauletta and/or anyone else brought in.

Archived